babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » IDF fires missile into refugee camp

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: IDF fires missile into refugee camp
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 11 August 2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
15 wounded, 4 critically

quote:

The air strike on Wednesday came after Palestinian fighters attempted to stop occupying Israeli troops from demolishing Palestinian homes near a Jewish settlement.

Israeli military sources said the army was carrying out an operation against "terrorist infrastructure" in the Khan Yunis camp in the southern Gaza Strip and the helicopter had fired at an "open area" to ward away armed men.

Same story from a less 'biased' source.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 11 August 2004 03:20 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Must have been a "regrettable unintended tragic accident."
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 11 August 2004 04:40 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Surely there will be an enquiry to determine the IDF acted appropriately.
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 11 August 2004 05:13 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I notice you didn't say "whether" the IDF acted appropriately. Same everywhere, I guess--that's what enquiries are for here in Vancouver when it comes to the police, too.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 11 August 2004 05:56 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
These posts are all against the current rules.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 August 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No they're not. People are allowed to express frustration with what they see as a lack of fair process in investigating the IDF.

If you have a problem with it, take it to rabble reactions, or to Audra, or to me. Don't be a hall monitor.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 11 August 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macabee:
These posts are all against the current rules.

L'etat c'est Mishei?

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 11 August 2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Michelle you seem to interpret the rules as you go along. The above posts are baiting. Howveer since you have ruled they are not I will accept the ruling and play by your rules.
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 11 August 2004 08:57 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:
Surely there will be an enquiry to determine the IDF acted appropriately.
There very well may be. Not that any inquiry called by any Israeli source would find favour with you.. (is it OK to express my frustration this way or is it baiting?)

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 August 2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Courage:
L'etat c'est Mishei?

Knock it off, Courage. If you want the threads to stay on track, that means you can't bait either.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 August 2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
There very well may be. Not that any inquiry called by any Israeli source would find favour with you.. (is it OK to express my frustration this way or is it baiting?)

Sigh. The difference between what they said and what you said should be obvious, but I'll type slowly.

What they said was not directed at you. They were expressing frustration with the government of Israel and the IDF. People are allowed to do that. When people call it the "IOF", they're also expressing frustration with the IDF, and anger at what they're doing. Also not directed at you, and also considered fair comment.

What you said was directed at WingNut. Which means you were baiting. What Courage said was directed at you. Which means he was baiting.

It's really not that difficult to figure out.

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 12 August 2004 10:05 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thread derailment aside,

I had to search through about ten stories from different sources on this missile strike (including, famously, the Jerusalem Post *ptui*) before even finding a mention of the Gaza house demolitions that the militants were trying to stop. This missile strike was a direct reprisal against the militants perceived to be fighting the home demolitions. The home demolitions were aimed at clearing out an even thicker buffer zone for a nearby settlement. In Gaza. This leads me to question Likud's sincerity on their planned Gaza pullout. If Likud is really going to abandon the Gazan settlements, why continue to demolish Palestinian homes in that area?

Anyway, these story ommissions are a pretty sad commentary on the failure of most media sources to cover the reasons for the violence (on both sides) in Gaza. IMHO.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 August 2004 10:10 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If Likud is really going to abandon the Gazan settlements, why continue to demolish Palestinian homes in that area?

They obviously want the place locked up tight and totally pacified before they go. Even sea access is going to be blocked.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 12 August 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
What Courage said was directed at you. Which means he was baiting.

It most certainly was not. I didn't even mention Macabee in my post.

[ 12 August 2004: Message edited by: Courage ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 August 2004 01:25 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Never mind. I'm not contributing to this.

[ 12 August 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 12 August 2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The process is simple:

Expand settlements by demolishing Palestinian houses.

Incur wrath of Palestinians for destroying their homes and stealing their property.

Point at wrathful Palestinians and call them uncivilised 'terrorists' when they fight back and attack the people living on their lost property.

Destroy more homes to ensure that this can't continue and call it a 'defensive war'.

Make sure you have cadres of parrots ready and waiting to repeat - ad nauseum - the party line in every possible media source - newspapers, TV, internet discussion forums, etc.

Rinse, repeat.

[ 12 August 2004: Message edited by: Courage ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 August 2004 01:30 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Still inappropriate. And I'm sorry for my outburst. I thought better of it and deleted it.

Can we move on now?

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 12 August 2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:

They obviously want the place locked up tight and totally pacified before they go. Even sea access is going to be blocked.

There have been pullouts before. This one is strategic in order to support the "peaceful, conciliatory Sharon" business they tried to launch a few months ago, IMO.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 14 August 2004 11:01 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

If they had a real honest to god inquiry commissioned under judicial aegis (i.e. a real judge from a real civilian Israeli court) instead of the existing joke of internal whitewa... ah, reviews, there might be way less cynicism about the alleged superiority of Israeli moral values to those of the Arabs who all get smushed into one allegedly barbaric and backwards group.

There is a reason why there is little to no confidence in the internal investigations procedures of certain public authorities, and it comes from not just one or two incidents, but years, if not decades of ass-patting, cover-your-assing, and in general circling the wagons and preventing real justice from being done.

Only recently is that changing in Vancouver, even. I just read that a police officer was actually determined to be guilty of homicide in connection with the death of a young man in police custody.

Maybe the IDF can take the same steps and start convicting cowards who shoot unarmed Palestinians in the back.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 September 2004 05:23 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So did anybody actually get tried and convicted for this?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca