babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Arab Secularism

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arab Secularism
liminal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5617

posted 28 July 2004 08:37 PM      Profile for liminal        Edit/Delete Post
In previous threads, posters like Cueball and Coyote reiterated that they had some knowledge regarding Arab secularism, so I thought it might yield an interesting theme for a thread.

What are its origins? Where did it succeed and where did it fail? Was it elitist or was it popular? Is Arab secularism inherently associated with the Left, or has it found a niche within the Right? Given the current trend of veering away from it, as in Egypt and lately in Iraq, is it possible that Arab countries that chose a theocratic approach would adopt (or re-adopt) secularism one day? What are the challenges it faces? (and many more questions)

Keep in mind that this thread deals with secularism in the Arab world, not the Muslim world, so Iran and Pakistan would not be germane.

[ 28 July 2004: Message edited by: liminal ]

[ 28 July 2004: Message edited by: liminal ]

[Edited to remove Coyote's original screen name]

[ 06 September 2007: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: the hole I just crawled out of | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 28 July 2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Calling me out, are ya? Ok, lim. Gimme 24 hours to re-acquaint myself with some materials and find some ready web resources so everyone can play along, and i'll be with you.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca