babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Terje Roed-Larsen top United Nations envoy to the Middle East

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Terje Roed-Larsen top United Nations envoy to the Middle East
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 14 July 2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The comment

quote:

Larsen also criticized Israel for failing to remove illegal settlement outposts and freeze settlement building.

"The PA, despite consistent promises by its leadership, has made no progress on its core obligation to take immediate action on the ground to end violence and combat terror and to reform and reorganize the Palestinian Authority," Larsen said in his monthly report to the Security Council on the situation in the territories.

This is what I call a really balanced aproach. too bad their isn't more of these. I think this is what is called being rationa.

[ 14 July 2004: Message edited by: Justice ]

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 14 July 2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The response

quote:
The top United Nations envoy to the Middle East will no longer be welcome in the Palestinian territories after he harshly criticized Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat, a senior adviser to the PA leader said Wednesday.

"Terje Roed-Larsen's statement is not objective. As of today he is an unwelcome person in Palestinian territories," Nabil Abu Rudeineh told Reuters, referring to remarks by the envoy at the United Nations on Tuesday.

How are we going to get anywhere if neither side is willing to take any responsiblity and always blame it on someone else

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 14 July 2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Doesn't "around in circles" qualify as anywhere?
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Khadiija
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6142

posted 14 July 2004 12:25 PM      Profile for Khadiija   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post
Here is the full text:

Israeli gaza withdrawal offers unprecedented opportunity for progress towards peace, if implemented in right way, Security Council told

Middle East Special Coordinator Terje Roed-Larsen Briefs Council

UN Briefing

From: the twilight zone between Canada and the U.S. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Critical Mass
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6350

posted 14 July 2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Critical Mass        Edit/Delete Post
Quote: "How are we going to get anywhere if neither side is willing to take any responsiblity and always blame it on someone else"

Sums up the last 100 years of Middle East history doesn't it?

Last week, Sharon thumbed his nose and refused to meet with the UN Peace Quartet and with the UN nuclear inspector. This week, the Palestinians are denouncing the UN with veiled threats (what does someone not being welcome mean? Are they going to bomb his car if he tries to drive to Bethlehem?)

Not surprised at the UN envoy report. Members of the Quartet (with the exception of the US) have been gradually growing exasperated with Israeli and Palestinian sides for a few months. The EU has even come close a few times to shutting off its funding to the Palestinian Authority because of large-scale corruption and complicity in terror attacks.

Both Israelis and Palestinians can be exasperating.

Maybe they deserve each other.

From: King & Bay (downtown Toronto) - I am King of the World!!! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Critical Mass
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6350

posted 14 July 2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Critical Mass        Edit/Delete Post
Oh, double post.

I guess the confusing intricacies of Middle East politics make me see double.

[ 14 July 2004: Message edited by: Critical Mass ]

From: King & Bay (downtown Toronto) - I am King of the World!!! | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca