babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Normalizing status of Palestinian residents

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Normalizing status of Palestinian residents
MyName
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6174

posted 09 July 2004 10:25 PM      Profile for MyName        Edit/Delete Post
Michelle apparently intends to shut down the "Israel Supreme court" thread, so maybe we can continue this discussion here....

I wrote:

"Speaking of legal issues, I notice Al-Hayat Al-Jadida reports that the Supreme National Committee for the Protection of the Right of Return is opposing participation of refugee camps in elections in the West Bank and Gaza.

"They prefer to keep the refugees as refugees rather than allow them to participate in Palestinian elections - should these elections ever come to pass.

"It's sad to see the PA using the refugees (or, really, the descendents of the refugees) as pawns.

"Jordan extended citizenship to its Palestinians decades ago. Has any other Arab country followed suit yet? Does anybody know?"

Mjollnir replied: “Why should they participate in WB and Ghaza elections?”

They should be allowed to vote in the West Bank and Gaza for the same reason Palestinians living in Canada or the U.S. are allowed to vote – because they’ve become citizens – or they were born here and acquired citizenship automatically.

Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza refugee camps live in the WB and Gaza. Therefore, there should be a process by which they can normalize their status. The West Bank and Gaza is also where the large majority camp residents were born. Obviously, they should be allowed to vote there.

I know in Lebanon, Palestinians are excluded from the political and economic life of the nation. Unlike, Canada and the U.S., for example, Palestinians don’t become citizens by being born there. They can’t buy a house or a business…

Indeed, as far as I know, other than in Jordan, it has been the norm in Arab countries to prevent any normalization of the Palestinians’ situation. Hence my question: has any other Arab state followed Jordan’s example of allowing Palestinians to become citizens?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca