babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Zionists vs Jews

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Zionists vs Jews
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 05 July 2004 01:30 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From an email by Abraham Weizfeld:

quote:

The Hillel Jewish student movement is exclusionary of those Jewish students and academics who are not Zionist. It has no constitutional right to do so but it does. This current campaign is in support of Jilian Redford, President of the U. of Richmond Hillel chapter. Another example of Hillel exclusion was in 1994 at the time of the Ibrahimi/Abraham Mosque/synagogue massacre when 27 worshipers were killed. I went down to the Concordia University foyer and distributed copies of my book The End of Zionism: and the liberation of the Jewish People (an anthology of Jewish dissident writings. The point was to demonstrate that there was other Jewish opinion than that of the fascist Baruch Goldstein. Two Hillel students asked for the intervention of the University security to have me arrested even though I accepted no payment for the books. Initially security did nothing since it only a book being handed out in a University after all. However after the Hillel intervention, Security called the police. This is the same Hillel chapter that was found to be promoting recruitment to the Israeli military on its literature table. So the police came and although by this time there were only 3 books left out of the initial 100, I was arrested on the charge of assaulting the police. Fortunately there was a student video team at work in the foyer doing a study of its use and they filmed the arrest thus proving that I had not assaulted anyone and I was acquitted. But if there had not been a video project on at that moment I would have been sent to jail. This is what Hillel has been made into; fascists.

Please forward to Jewish faculty.

-Emma Rosenthal

The student president of the University of Richmond Hillel was dismissed recently because of her critical opinions on Israeli policy and her condemnation of racism against Palestinians. In conjunction with Tikkun Magazine and a Jewish Voice for Peace, I am asking you to sign the following open letter to protest Hillel's silencing of Jewish dissent on campus.

Please forward this letter to sympathetic Jewish faculty. Signatures should be sent to rblecher@richmond.edu, and should contain your name,
title, and affiliation.

An open letter to Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life:

As Jewish faculty, we are writing to express our outrage that Hillel has removed a student president because of her critical opinions about Israel. At issue was her stand against the ongoing Israeli occupation and her refusal to countenance racism against Palestinians. In justifying her dismissal, her Hillel supervisors condemned her principled words and actions as "unprofessional" and "disrespectful."

For the past year, Jilian Redford served as president of the University of Richmond's Hillel chapter. By all accounts - including those of her overseers at the Richmond Jewish Community Center - she was a superlative president, the driving force behind virtually all Hillel programming. It was only when she began to express her views on Israel that the organization called for her ouster.

The facts are the case are as follows: In February 2004, after having received unsolicited emails from the Israeli Embassy for months, she asked the embassy to remove her from its mailing list. In her message, she wrote that the solution to Israel's problems lay in reconciliation with the Palestinians, not with the "radical Zionist propaganda" that the embassy had been sending her. Within 24 hours, she was summoned to meet with her supervisors at the JCC. They told her that the embassy was calling for her dismissal and demanded that she apologize for her "unprofessional [behavior] that demonstrated a total disrespect." Ms. Redford refused. Her supervisors also charged her with failing to provide "balanced" programming on Israel, on the grounds that she had vetoed a speaker they had recommended. Ms. Redford defended her action by explaining that the would-be speaker had told her that Palestinians, unlike Jews, were born with the innate capacity to kill innocent people. Ms. Redford later elaborated: "Racist statements are contrary to Jewish values and beliefs and have no place in a university setting. There is a clear line between 'a different political view' and outright racism, bigotry, promotion of violence, and hatred." Following the meeting, Hillel officials told Ms. Redford that her "statements [were] not in keeping with the mission and goals of Hillel" and asked her to resign. Ms. Redford once again refused, asserting that her actions were consistent with Hillel's mission statement on Israel. Hillel then dismissed her for her refusal to apologize and her "inappropriate [and] inexcusable" accusation of racism.

The charges against Ms. Redford are patently absurd. In terms of Israel programming, her political opinions in no way compromised her commitment to "balanced" programming; shortly before she was dismissed she had brought a speaker from CAMERA, the right-wing media watchdog group, to the Richmond campus. What is really at stake in these spurious allegations is Hillel's attempt to silence dissent within the organization. Hillel's website states that it is "committed to a pluralistic vision of Judaism" but Ms. Redford's dismissal suggests that pluralism extends only so far as the Israeli embassy says it does.

As Jewish faculty, we are appalled that the Hillel Foundation is alienating Jews instead of welcoming them; enforcing an institutional orthodoxy that tramples student autonomy; and serving a foreign government instead of its student members. The coupling of political intimidation with disrespect for student democracy ought to alarm not only those who seek justice and peace, but also those who would defend student prerogatives against high-handed bureaucrats. The University of Richmond's administration, to its credit, expressed concern over Ms. Redford's dismissal, but its mediation came too late.

It is a sad day for Judaism when standing up for one's beliefs is deemed "inappropriate"; when the state of Israel exerts an overwhelming influence over the agenda and institutions of American Jewry; and when racism is normalized to the point that even the accusation of racism - irrespective of its truth - is considered suspect. We applaud Ms. Redford's courageous stand and her refusal to back down. We urge Hillel to offer her an apology and to take proactive measures to ensure a welcoming environment for all Jews regardless of political opinion. Hillel, as the main address for Jewish life on campus, has a special obligation to foster critical discussions of Israeli policy. The Jewish tradition of debate and questioning demands no less.

Sincerely,

Robert Blecher
Department of History
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173
(804) 289-8336

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 05 July 2004 02:02 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It would be interesting to study the course taken by Hillel. I can remember - decades back - when it indeed did serve to foster Jewish campus life - celebrating Jewish holidays, cultural awareness, distributing kosher food, etc. If I recall, it did tend to be Zionist in a broad, sentimental sense - Israeli folk dancing, travels to the "Holy Land", etc. But it wasn't a preserve of "hard-arsed Zionists" as it has now become. Are other Jews welcome at Hillel? Anywhere?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 05 July 2004 01:41 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The first "jewish" event I ever attended was at Hillel, in 1965. It was a debate between two professors of the philosophy department, and the topic was:

"Blintzes or hamintashen: which are more sublime?"

There was a friendly debate on the topic, with much intellectual pirouetting, and then inexpensive examples of the two food groups were served.

I have no idea whether Hillel no longer serves the role it used to, but I found it really a nice way to become acquainted with Jewish culture.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 05 July 2004 02:19 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay, way off topic but the last post rekindled a memory. Does anyone remember the Toronto multicultural event, Caravan?
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 July 2004 02:21 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Does anyone remember the Toronto multicultural event, Caravan?

I do, yes. Went to a few events in the late 80s. Did it die out?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clearview
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4640

posted 05 July 2004 02:26 PM      Profile for clearview     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, I used to participate in that for a number of years. It hasn't died out, but it is being held in late September this year: http://www.caravan-org.com/
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 05 July 2004 02:35 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

The student president of the University of Richmond Hillel was dismissed recently because of her critical opinions on Israeli policy and her condemnation of racism against Palestinians. In conjunction with Tikkun Magazine and a Jewish Voice for Peace, I am asking you to sign the following open letter to protest Hillel's silencing of Jewish dissent on campus.

. . . .

It is a sad day for Judaism when standing up for one's beliefs is deemed "inappropriate"; when the state of Israel exerts an overwhelming influence over the agenda and institutions of American Jewry

Another victim of Zionist political correctness. It is clear that North American Zionists will brook no dissent from their "party line."

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mhandel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6180

posted 05 July 2004 10:58 PM      Profile for mhandel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ester Kaplan has written arather interesting article on the zionist vs anti-zionist/non-zionist split amoung the American Jewish community:

The Jewish Divide on Israel

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040712&s=kaplan

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 July 2004 09:09 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is a most informative and interesting article, mhandel. Thanks for the link.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca