babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Looking ahead: a new era for Middle East peace?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking ahead: a new era for Middle East peace?
Big Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5451

posted 18 June 2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Big Willy        Edit/Delete Post
Thought you all might enjoy this. http://www.townhall.com/columnists/charleskrauthammer/ck20040618.shtml

After much criticism it is nice to see praise for how the Israelis have handled the recent events.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 12:31 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Criticism of Israel by Krauthammer? That would be like the sun rising in the west.

And request to the moderators: we need a vomit smilie.

[ 18 June 2004: Message edited by: josh ]

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brant K
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5831

posted 18 June 2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Brant K     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, Josh, you were funnier when you were making fun of Larry Zolf's nose.

[ 18 June 2004: Message edited by: Brant K ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 01:12 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey Brant K, you were much funnier when you admitted to trolling in this thread.

quote:
I love it when I'm banned, that way I get to come back and piss you hypocrites off all over again

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 01:13 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, you get what you pay for.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brant K
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5831

posted 18 June 2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Brant K     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Michelle. The shepherd and protector of bigots! Bye Bye
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 01:56 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Huh? You think I was protecting you, Brant?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 01:57 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bye-bye is right. And try cultivating a sense of humour. The remark had nothing to do with his religion. Why would I make fun of myself. The fact is the guy's nose is humongous, perfect for brown-nosing.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Josh, you called Ariel Sharon fat, too. You sizeist, self-hating anti-semite, you!
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 02:05 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I admit it. Now ban me.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 June 2004 02:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suspect that many of our trolls would be even more eager to be banned if it (er) came with a good flogging.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee whiz. Youse guys want black leather with that?
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 02:39 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, how about skipping the banning and going right to the black leather.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 18 June 2004 02:42 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Red leather, black lace for the mistress.

Electric blue leather & black lycra cat suit for the dungeon-mistress.

Black leather short-shorts, chain-mail halter-top for the discipliner.

excuse me...gotta go.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 June 2004 02:49 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like those AltaCon meetings are more fun than I suspected, Heywood.

I don't care: I'm still not joining, and you can't make me!

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
Well, how about skipping the banning and going right to the black leather.

In your dreams.

Besides, haven't you heard? I've decided to change my punishment techniques - I forgo the black leather and go directly to the REO Speedwagon cassettes.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 02:53 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At least it's not Styx.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 June 2004 02:57 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But haven't you heard, Josh?

Boston has finally released their long-promised, long-anticipated third album.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 02:57 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oooh! That's even better!

You're getting right into the spirit, good for you!

"Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto..."

Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 18 June 2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post
GAAAHH! STOP! STOP!

Okay - I confess:

*I* put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 June 2004 03:04 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At least it's not Babe, probably my least favourite song of all time.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 03:06 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Say "pretty please", Cromwell, or no relief for you!

"...I am the mod-ren man!"

[ 18 June 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 18 June 2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post
*whimper* Pretty *sniff-blubber-sniff* PLEEEEEEEZE!
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 June 2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
At least it's not Babe, probably my least favourite song of all time.

"...you know it's yoooooooooooooooooouuuuuu, baaaaaaaaaaabe..."

(Gee, this could be fun. What was this thread supposed to be about again?)

Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 18 June 2004 03:13 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post
I didn't read the link, but if it involves inhumane cruelty, I think you're still on-topic.

[ 18 June 2004: Message edited by: Oliver Cromwell ]

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 19 June 2004 09:33 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Help! I'm drowning in 80's cheese!
*thread drift*
Okay, here's a question for all you Gen Xers out there:
Why where the eighties such a great decade? I mean, besides dungeons and Dragons, the transformers cartoon, " shout" by tears for fears and the last two Star Wars movies, what good things happened in the time in between my birth and my entry into grade two?
Ronald Reagan was in power in the US, Lyin' brian was running Canada into the ground and Milt Freedman had full run of the White House. It sounds like a very dark time to me.

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 19 June 2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post
Hmm, that's a toughie.

How about being able to see Wayne Gretzky play at the top of his game?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 June 2004 09:41 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd suggest, Throat, getting to your local CD store and looking up pretty much anything by a band called Husker Du.

You might also check out another concern called The Replacements, particularly a disc called Tim and another called Pleased To Meet Me.

Then, go to the video store and rent something called Repo Man. If they've never heard of it, leave forthwith and never darken that store's door again.

Edit:

Please to note, I'm emphatically not claiming the 1980s were a "great decade." I wouldn't claim that about any decade.

I'm only saying some good times were had by some, is all. And there was a lot better product around than Tears for Fears.

[ 19 June 2004: Message edited by: 'lance ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 19 June 2004 09:43 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Why where the eighties such a great decade?

There are such deep contradictions trapped within this question that it cannot be answered, let alone answered correctly.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 June 2004 10:18 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oooh! That's even better!
You're getting right into the spirit, good for you!

Actually Michelle, I was bluffing.

Boston released Third Stage back in 1986.

Just two years ago, they released their sixth album, Corporate America, and are going on tour this very summer.

I suspect that if they ever saw Spinal Tap, they didn't get it.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 19 June 2004 10:33 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Why where the eighties such a great decade?

Who said it was? Actually, I think it pretty much sucked.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 June 2004 11:20 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Leg warmers. Oh, and don't forget womens' hairstyles that made them look like they stuck their fingers into electric sockets every morning.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 June 2004 11:25 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You heathens. The 80's rocked. If you don't believe me, ask anyone else who hit puberty then.

Oh, for the 80's!

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 20 June 2004 06:23 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hair metal, Dungeons and Dragons, ball hockey, slow music that wasn't R&B, personal computers for the first time, really, video games for the first time, really (My geekdom is so coming through here). Clunky electronics and terrible computer graphics (in retrospect) that everyone looked at and went "Wow, they'll never do any better than *that*".
From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 June 2004 02:01 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I remember being in awe of some of the games I played back in 1990
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mjollnir
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5618

posted 20 June 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for mjollnir        Edit/Delete Post
How about "Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders", and the start of the adventure game genre?
Lo! where are the point n'clicks now?

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 20 June 2004 02:26 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I remember when Zaxxxon came out, I was absolutely astonished by the amazing "3-D" graphics.

A few more 80's hi-lites: Rubik's Cube. Miami Vice pastel outfits. Cure-listening goth girls. VHS vs. Beta. New Coke.

And perhaps the lo-lite: Mullets.

I still have my old passport photo from ca. 1986. Every time I look at it now, I'm transfixed for minutes on end, simply stupified: "I actually went out in public like that?!"

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
arborman
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4372

posted 02 July 2004 12:18 PM      Profile for arborman     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The 80's were a particularly bizarre decade to experience adolescence/puberty.

I take no responsibility for my actions between 84 and 89, with the exception of the foosball addiction.

From: I'm a solipsist - isn't everyone? | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 02 July 2004 01:49 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The 80s were the final flowering of rock as the mainstream popular music, before rap and/or hip hop took over and country boomed. As someone who absolutely hates country and really can't hack most rap and hip hop, that's a Good Thing for me.
80s was the time for Dire Straits and Pink Floyd and the Pet Shop Boys and whatnot. It was arguably the last hurrah for the existence of any pop high in the charts that hadn't been formed entirely by market researchers. The rot had set in, but had not completely taken over yet.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 02 July 2004 01:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From Salon, here's an appreciation -- if a slightly sentimental one -- of Zen Arcade.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca