babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The day the tanks arrived at Rafah zoo

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The day the tanks arrived at Rafah zoo
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 21 May 2004 10:50 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Amid the rubble of dozens of homes that the Israeli army continued yesterday to deny demolishing, the wrecking of the tiny, but only, zoo in the Gaza Strip took on potent symbolism for many of the newly homeless.

The butchered ostrich, the petrified kangaroo cowering in a basement corner, the tortoises crushed under the tank treads - all were held up as evidence of the pitiless nature of the Israeli occupation.

"People are more important than animals," said the zoo's co-owner Mohammed Ahmed Juma, whose house was also demolished. "But the zoo is the only place in Rafah that children could escape the tense atmosphere. There were slides and games for children. We had a small swimming pool. I know it's hard to believe, looking at it now, but it was beautiful. Why would they destroy that? Because they want to destroy everything about us."

Full Story

I suppose the obvious question for those who would defend such butchery is why would they locate a children's zoo in the middle of a war zone?

[ 21 May 2004: Message edited by: WingNut ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 21 May 2004 11:01 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Abu Ghraib: inmates raped, ridden like animals, and forced to eat pork

quote:
The abuse scandal at Abu Ghraib prison continued yesterday with the publication of fresh pictures and sworn statements that detailed a teenage boy being raped, prisoners being ridden like animals and other Iraqis being forced to eat pork and drink alcohol in contravention of their religion. For the first time video footage of some of the abuse was also broadcast, a development likely to increase the political impact of the scandal.

The new details caused fresh outrage around the Arab world and further rocked the Bush administration ­ already floundering after a week in which US forces killed dozens of guests at a wedding party in Iraq after mistaking them for insurgents. The latest pictures and allegations ­ chronicling more calculated attempts to humiliate Muslim prisoners ­ have only added to the suspicion that they were part of a policy formulated at a high level of authority.

The leaders of the free world

Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 21 May 2004 11:16 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's hard to find the words anymore to condemn these atrocities. The US supplies Israel with the weapons. Israel give the US lessons in urban warfare. The spiral of death is truly depressing. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in either Iraq or the occupied territories of Palestine.
From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MikeFromKingston
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5727

posted 21 May 2004 11:29 PM      Profile for MikeFromKingston     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Non-partisan partisan:
It's hard to find the words anymore to condemn these atrocities. The US supplies Israel with the weapons. Israel give the US lessons in urban warfare. The spiral of death is truly depressing. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in either Iraq or the occupied territories of Palestine.

luckily,you don't have to.

From: The Eather of Cyberbia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 May 2004 11:36 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You thought that up on your own?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 23 May 2004 02:23 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rafah residents face jaguar threat after Israel levels zoo

quote:
Israeli forces may have wound down their offensive in Rafah but residents have been warned about a new deadly danger - from seven jaguars which escaped after troops razed the Gaza Strip's only zoo.

The jaguars, which live off a diet of raw meat, were among scores of animals that escaped from the zoo in Rafah's Jenaina neighbourhood after three bulldozers smashed their way into the grounds as part of an operation to find tunnels allegedly used by Palestinian militants to smuggle in weapons from Egypt.

"They are very, very dangerous. They can easily kill young children," warned the zoo's owner and manager, Ahmed Jamal

Simply put the IOF are a bumch of assholes.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 24 May 2004 12:32 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, if the IOF can "outsource" its killing of random Palestinians to large carnivorous felines, why not?
From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zaklamont
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5106

posted 24 May 2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Zaklamont        Edit/Delete Post
From Haaretz:

O. who comes from an established settlement in the Jezreel Valley, has in recent years acquired a reputation as a fascinating tour guide in his area. Groups gather around him for visits to interesting sites and to hear tales of the valley. For the most part, the tourists never find out that in June, 1967, in north-eastern Sinai (later settled by Israel) second lieutenant O. excelled in the decisive battle fought by Major General Tal's division. He received a commendation and this was later replaced by a decoration a few months before the Yom Kippur War, exactly when his son S. was born. In a certain sense, O.'s was the first commendation of the Six-Day War; in another Six-Day War battle, his brother-in-law was killed. O.'s brother was killed in the Yom Kippur War.

[Edited by Michelle because it's not cool to post entire articles from other sources.]

[ 24 May 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: Ottawa Ontario | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 24 May 2004 04:20 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here's how it works, Zaklamont. Instead of posting the entire article, you link to it, thus. If you want, you then quote a key paragraph or two of your choice. That way Babble doesn't get sued for copyright violation.

The technical issue of what logistical and bureaucratic failings led to the slaughter in Rafah is mildly interesting, I suppose, but it's really of secondary importance. The crux of the matter is this:

quote:
"The state of Israel will not tolerate the number of casualties in our forces if the Palestinians continue to equip themselves with rocket launchers and anti-tank missiles," warned a senior officer in the south yesterday. He was referring to the blowing up of the armored personnel carrier on the Philadelphi Route last week ... , and to the justification for the actions against the tunnels and their operators. The tunnels have become a clandestine underground railway for materiel that directly threatens the IDF's motorized forces and the Jewish settlers in the Gaza Strip. "We will not put up with school buses full of children that are hit again and again by missiles," added the officer.

In other words, the entire basis (in propaganda, at least) of these ongoing murderous attacks on Palestinian civilians is the "need" to defend Israeli soldiers and settlers who have no right to be there in the first place. The IOF's actions are thus doubly illegitimate, not to mention grotesquely immoral. (Add in the fact that those soldiers and settlers are supposedly leaving soon anyway, and the situation becomes positively farcical as well.)

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 May 2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Zaklamont, I would appreciate it if you would edit your post to a short clip from the article and a link. Not only is it a problem from a copyright standpoint, but also, these threads are supposed to be for discussion, not for 10 scrolled-page articles.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 May 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Could the moderator not edit that post down right now? It is going to halt discussion on this thread. I age just scrolling past it.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 May 2004 10:41 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha!

Yeah, I guess I could. I usually like to give people a chance to edit their own post first, just because I like to edit posts as little as possible, but you're right.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 24 May 2004 10:47 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

[ 24 May 2004: Message edited by: Justice ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 May 2004 12:17 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
About the original link: I got to the part about the tanks rolling over tortoises, and I just couldn't go on.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 24 May 2004 12:28 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'll spare you the seven escaped jaguars then. For the moment it seems they are alive, and haven't eaten any Palestinian children, but alas I don't have much confidence for their future. Poor beasties.

The tortoise thing was horrible indeed...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca