babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Marwan Barghouti convicted of murder

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Marwan Barghouti convicted of murder
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 20 May 2004 09:10 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
An Israeli court has convicted Barghouti on murder charges in connection with attacks that killed six Israelis.

Apparently, prosecutors "had asked" for five life sentences, but it is not clear that he has been sentenced yet.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 May 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, I heard this on CBC radio this morning.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 20 May 2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi there, Nelson Mandela.

The more things change, the more they stay the same bloody thing.

From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 20 May 2004 06:28 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Is this fella the same Barghouti who's involved in the Palestinian passive resistance movement?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 20 May 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
One day Marwan Barghuthi will be President of Israel/Palestine.

"Marwan Barghuthi is a fighter for freedom and justice and true peace. What really needs to be on trial is this criminal Israeli occupation," said Palestinian Minister of Labour Ghassan al-Khatib.

quote:
Barghuthi, 43, repeatedly condemned attacks on civilians, Israelis and Palestinians alike.

Last year, during a court hearing, he reportedly told Israeli prosecutors that resistance was not terror but rather a personal, human and national duty upon the oppressed.

"I am against killing innocent people. But I am proud of the resistance against the Israeli occupation. To die is better than living under occupation."

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 20 May 2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes CMOT he is. And he deserves the respect and support of anyone interested in a lasting peace for all the Middle East. He has been railroaded by a system determined to silence him; his crimes are political, and his conviction will one day be seen in the same light as that of Mandela.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 20 May 2004 07:52 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I can't see why someone who is involved in passive resistance would kill six soldiers. Woulden't that sort of thing be ultimately self defeating for a pacifist?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 20 May 2004 09:06 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
CMOT: Again from Haaretz, this time a piece by Gideon Levy (have I ever mentioned how impressive I find Haaretz's team of columnists, on all sides of the Israeli perspective?) might help to answer your question about Barghouti. Granted, it is a couple of years old - dating from the week of his arrest - but I think it does a good job of clarifying Mr. Barghouti and what he symbolizes.

Listen to Barghouti

quote:
Barghouti did not begin by killing. As a politician, who apparently turned into a terrorist, it cannot be said of him that he did not try the path of negotiations. He was a peace activist. Few Palestinians were as active as he in promoting peace. He was deeply involved in contacts with many Israelis - and not only ones from the left - and never hid his admiration for certain elements of Israeli life. "I wake up in the morning and look West, not East," he once told me.
I am not convinced, note, that he was involved in any attacks inside Israel. He put himself in danger from other militant groups by denouncing the practice; why then engage in it?

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 20 May 2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Is this fella the same Barghouti who's involved in the Palestinian passive resistance movement?

No he is not the one you are thinking of (sorry Thomas -- or are you being sly?) I think you are thinking of this one: Dr. Mustafa Barghouthi

quote:
Dr. Mustafa Barghouthi (MD, MSc.) is an active participant in the building of a democratic Palestinian civil society and is one of the most prominent leaders of the Palestinian struggle.

He is the Secretary of the Palestinian National Initiative, or Mubadara, a recently established democratic opposition movement in the realm of Palestinian domestic politics, co-founded along with Dr. Haidar Abdel-Shafi, Mr. Ibrahim Dakak and Dr. Edward Said.

He is an Arafat opponent known to have opposed militant action. Marwan was a powerful leader within Fatah, who believes Palestinians have a right to fight occupying soldiers.

That is why his defence was (as put by the CBC):

quote:
Barghouti has maintained his arrest is illegal and that the Israeli court has no authority. In a statement issued before the verdict, Barghouti said all court decisions are "null and void and have no legitimacy."

He is right on both counts of course.

[ 20 May 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 20 May 2004 11:47 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
He is an Arafat opponent known to have opposed militant action. Marwan was a powerful leader within Fatah, who believes Palestinians have a right to fight occupying soldiers.

He is also a dead ringer for Eugene Levy...
didn't you say he was in jail?

Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 21 May 2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
No Cueball, I wasn't being sly. As the article stated, he was a peace activist before turning almost grudgingly to violence(and I assumed that is what CMOT was referring to). But I understand the confusion and I could have been more clear (Gee Thomas, do the words 'passive resistance' tip you off?). Moustafa Barghouthi is the founder of the Palestinian National Initiative and someone I have corresponded with in the past (I just missed a speech he was giving by one day in Tulkarem; I e-mailed the web-site to let him know how sorry I was to have missed him. When I was beaten up and deported he recognized my name from the e-mail and sent me a message of support); he is not just an opponent of Arafat but of Hamas as well.

My heart lies with Dr. Barghouthi; but Arwan is a true and tragic symbol of a whole process of Palestinian resistance during the First Intifada, the Oslo period, and now the Al-Aqsa Intifada. To follow Arwan's story is to truly understand how deeply the Palestians have been injured by the occupation, and how they have come believe their only path is armed resistance.

Re-reading, it is clear that I should have clarified. In fact, it appears I should have read what CMOT actually wrote, instead of concentrating on that with which I was pre-occupied. Sorry for the confusion.

CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 21 May 2004 07:17 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Moustafa Barghouthi is the founder of the Palestinian National Initiative and someone I have corresponded with in the past (I just missed a speech he was giving by one day in Tulkarem; I e-mailed the web-site to let him know how sorry I was to have missed him. When I was beaten up and deported he recognized my name from the e-mail and sent me a message of support); he is not just an opponent of Arafat but of Hamas as well.

Has the good doctor expressed any interest in running against Arafat? If I were Palestinian, I would vote for Muostafa.

[ 21 May 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 22 May 2004 05:01 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Didn't the israeli security people bust up Dr. Barghouti's office in Jerusalem just last year? I suppose they wanted to encourage his pacifist stance.
From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca