babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » "Why did you kill my brother? We didn't do anything wrong."

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: "Why did you kill my brother? We didn't do anything wrong."
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 May 2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I append this to something, but it is a pretty poingant interview with a US Marine.

quote:
For nearly 12 years, Staff Sgt. Jimmy Massey was a hard-core, some say gung-ho, Marine. For three years he trained fellow Marines in one of the most grueling indoctrination rituals in military life - Marine boot camp.
The Iraq war changed Massey. The brutality, the sheer carnage of the U.S. invasion, touched his conscience and transformed him forever. He was honorably discharged with full severance last Dec. 31 and is now back in his hometown, Waynsville, N.C.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 18 May 2004 02:03 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Everybody in the United States should read that interview.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 May 2004 02:15 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree, Jacob. It is overwhelming to read, though: schedule it just before you're free to take a break.
Rand McNally
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5297

posted 19 May 2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Rand McNally     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, Jake did you move yet. Let me know your new number.

Oh, and as to not hijack the topic, it is a very moving article. However, I would personally would be worried about admitting that the sub-unit that I was commanding committed war crimes on several occasions.

Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 19 May 2004 03:04 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rand McNally:
I personally would be worried about admitting that the sub-unit that I was commanding committed war crimes on several occasions.

Why? Americans are exempt from prosecution on war crimes.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rand McNally
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5297

posted 19 May 2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Rand McNally     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
True, however if they had to throw a whipping boy to world opinion, why not this guy who is not backing them.

I found a earlier article on the same guy. It has a bit more background. There are a couple of other differences

"The psychiatrist diagnosed Massey as depressed and suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. He recommended Massey leave the battlefield immediately."

It also says he was leading a sniper platoon, not a heavy weapons platoon as stated in the interview. Mostly likely just some problem on the reporter's end

[URL=http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5703.htm]

[ 19 May 2004: Message edited by: Rand McNally ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 20 May 2004 11:42 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
ABCNEWS has obtained two new photos taken at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq showing Spc. Charles Graner and Spc. Sabrina Harman posing over the body of a detainee who was allegedly beaten to death by CIA or civilian interrogators in the prison's showers. The detainee's name was Manadel al-Jamadi.

click

"We come to Iraq with respect for its citizens, for their great civilization and for the religious faiths they practice. We have no ambition in Iraq, except to remove a threat and restore control of that country to its own people. "

Dubya
March, 2003

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca