babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » What happened to Palestine's native Jewish population?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to Palestine's native Jewish population?
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 12 May 2004 09:57 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have heard tell that before the British started mucking about in Palestine, there was a small population of Middle Eastern Jews (I would use the term Sephardic, but I really don't think that applies in this case) living in the territory. My question is, What happened to them once the Ashganazis started to arrive en masse? Did they fight the newcomers along with the Arab neighbors?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 May 2004 10:00 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From what I understand there is some tension between the Sephardic and Ashkenazy Judaic "sects" (I hesitate to use the word, but I can't think of a better one at the moment) that persists even today. The Ashkenazys apparently tend to view the Sephardics as being somewhat "backwards" primarily because the bulk of the Sephardic peoples tended to concentrate in Eastern Europe and held more firmly to quite old Jewish traditions in the face of quite strong anti-Jewish attitudes among the local populations of Eastern Europe.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 13 May 2004 12:14 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I always thought the Sephardim were the Jews who lived from Iberia to Iraq. The Ashkenazis are European - Eastern and Western.
Here's a link

None of this answers the Dibbler's question, though.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 13 May 2004 01:18 AM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Most of the Jews in pre-Zionism Jerusalem were extremely religious (and many of them had immigrated from Europe over the centuries). If there were tensions with the immigrant Zionists it was likely over secular/religous issues rather than ethnicity.
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 13 May 2004 09:45 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

[ 18 May 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca