babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Bomb kills six Israeli soldiers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Bomb kills six Israeli soldiers
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 11 May 2004 05:21 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Jerusalem — An Israeli armored personnel carrier drove over a large bomb near a Gaza Strip settlement Tuesday, killing and wounding several soldiers, militants and a settler spokesman said.

Good

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 11 May 2004 05:53 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think it's good for anything. It's just another senseless act of violence that did nothing except kill six human beings and injure who knows how many others.

The death of any human being is not something I can take very lightly. This is too depressing, so I'm going to go away now.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 May 2004 08:02 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't think it's "good" either, but at least this time they went for legitimate targets. The Palestinians who were fighting killed six soldiers from the other side. In the same battle, the IOF wounded fifty Palestinians, one of whom was an 11 year-old kid who is now on life-support (and will probably be dead soon enough). I hate war and I hate killing, but those who complain that those fighting on the Palestinian side target civilians should have nothing to complain about when it comes to this battle.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 11 May 2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My only complaint,like Dr. Conway, is against anyone who would say "good" at the death of anyone. It shames Babble.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 May 2004 08:34 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ah. So, I take it you grieved over the deaths of Palestinian militants who have been summarily executed by the IOF, right? Neither you, nor anyone you knew said "good" when, say, Yassin was murdered?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 11 May 2004 09:33 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well it certainly seems more appropiate that the Palestinians are now attacking soldiers (I heard on the tube that the armoured vehicle wsa actually carrying a load of explosives and weapons, and that's what caused the killer explosion and not just some home made nine) than the IOF approach of random missle strikes at anyone carrying a weapon, no matter how many innocent people they might have to kill or injure in the process . . .One killed in Israeli missile strike.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 11 May 2004 10:01 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Ah. So, I take it you grieved over the deaths of Palestinian militants who have been summarily executed by the IOF, right? Neither you, nor anyone you knew said "good" when, say, Yassin was murdered?
All you have to know is that I never said "good". I abhor death. However choosing not to grieve over the deaths of suicide bombers and revelling in their blood are two differnet things are they not Michelle? Why would you even intimate that I would do otherwise. Oh let me guess....

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 11 May 2004 10:07 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Good" = "revelling" in what fucking world.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 11 May 2004 10:19 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macabee:
Why would you even intimate that I would do otherwise. Oh let me guess....

Please continue. I dislike your insinuations. If you're going to say something, then say it. Finish the sentence, Mishei.

Edited to take the word "chickenshit" out from in front of "insinuations".

[ 11 May 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 11 May 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think it's a bit over the top to post "good" in reaction to the deaths of soldiers. I can understand the frustration that would lead to such a posting. Nonetheless, I still don't like it.

Edited to add: This is not good for the Palestinians, either. Already the collective reprisals have begun:

Israeli missiles struck a target in Gaza City on Tuesday, hours after six Israeli soldiers were killed when a landmine blew up their vehicle.

[ 11 May 2004: Message edited by: Sarcasmobri ]

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 11 May 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It still isn't "revelling". Maybe not very nice or thoughtful but certainly not revelling. Not that Macabee would acknowledge the difference in gets in the way of his agenda and self-righteousness.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The_Calling
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5377

posted 11 May 2004 03:14 PM      Profile for The_Calling   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Are they changing strategy? If they only targeted military and government officials, the Palestinian cause would get far more sympathy.
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 11 May 2004 09:53 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Somebody has to change strategies . . . either the Palestinian groups stop targeting civilians, or the Israelis pull out of all the occupied territories.

If either side did this, then I would imagine that world opinion would move quickly and decisively to whatever side made the correct move.

Too bad hated rules on both sides.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 12 May 2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I support the armed resistance to the occupation. These soldiers are not innocent. They should be cooling their heels with the other Israeli army resistors in Tel Aviv, not patrolling outside of their own country. The Palestinian resistance had every right to kill these people.

I support them. Therefore the action was good. Too bad for the boys and their families, but I am not a pacifist, per se.

Yes it would be nice if Israel just gave up the occupation freely, but after 38 years they seem disinclined to do so, therefore...

Frankly it amazes me that people here will rant on and on about the terror of the suicide bombings, while at the same time opposing the occupation, and then when the Palestinians engage in a legitimate action against clearly legitimate military targets they are yet again condemned.

They just can't win with anyone.

[ 12 May 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 12 May 2004 03:59 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, it was certainly legitimate resistance, both completely legal according to international law and very much called for given the behaviour of the IDF in the occupied territories. If I were Palestinian, I'd have been trying to kill those guys too. But, war is bad. Having to kill people is a bad thing. I'm still sorry they're dead. It would be very good if Israeli soldiers stopped going into land that isn't theirs and that they are illegally occupying, stopped oppressing and killing the people who live there, so that the people living there won't need to kill them. If they do that, the next six soldiers (and the next twenty or so Palestinians, at current slaughter ratios) won't die, and that will be a good thing.
From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 12 May 2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
To be fair, Cueball, I don't think anyone "condemned" these attacks - at most, there was a hesitation to embrace your use of the word "good" to describe this action. Understandable, legitimate . . . I can go along with that. But "good"? No, I am afraid I cannot support that. I cannot smile at anyone getting killed.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 12 May 2004 09:46 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I echo the comments of Rufus and Thomas. My reaction to this is more relief that it wasn't civilians, followed by panic at how the IDF will respond, followed by anger that anyone (on either side) ends up dead for some stupid fucking piece of land that some dead bastards noted as 'holy' in a series of outdated fairy tales.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 12 May 2004 10:58 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Killing for God is stupid no matter whether you believe in God or not.

The killing of IOF soliders is AT LEAST as valid as killing Palestinian "gunmen"!

While I cannot say the killing was "good" (in moral terms or practicle terms) I certainly will not condem the action . . . I will only start condeming the killing of IDF soldiers when there are no more IOF soldiers.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 May 2004 04:17 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
New wave of Gaza killings saps Israeli military's confidence

quote:
The Israeli Government faces mounting domestic pressure over its military campaign in Gaza following the deaths of five soldiers, bringing its losses to 11 in two days.

At least 23 Palestinians - mostly gunmen but also bystanders and children - have been killed since Israel sent tanks and troops into the crowded Gaza City suburb of Zeitoun on Tuesday. Hospitals say 175 more have been wounded by Israeli missiles, shells and gunfire.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 17 May 2004 08:14 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rafah is now surrounded as the IOF prepares to bulldoze hundreds of homes.

quote:
Last week, Israel began demolishing homes in Rafah. The offensive was briefly halted on Saturday, but Israel's Supreme Court Sunday ruled the demolition could continue in the interest of national security.

Israeli army officials say hundreds of homes are slated for destruction as Israel widens its patrol zone between Gaza and Egypt. Last week, seven Israeli soldiers were killed by Palestinians while patrolling the zone.

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 17 May 2004 09:35 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wonderful . . . so even if Palestinians go after military targets the same response (collective punishment) will be used by the morally superior Israelis!

And since when has a court from another country had the right to decide on the legality of bulldozing homes in another country?

Israel has completed its full transition to a criminal state!

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca