babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israeli use of human shields

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israeli use of human shields
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 24 April 2004 01:46 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A photograph of a Palestinian boy tied to an Israeli police jeep has been handed to justice officials charged with investigating complaints over the use of "human shields" against demonstrators.

quote:
The boy, 13-year-old Mohammed Bedwan, and three adult protesters were tied to border police vehicles last week during one of what have become almost daily demonstrations against the routing of the Israeli government's barrier through Palestinian land.

Democracy in action, I guess.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 26 April 2004 02:07 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They even use Rabbis?

quote:
Rabbi Arik Ascherman, who heads the organization "Rabbis for Human Rights," says he was also tied to the front of a separate jeep, along with a Palestinian and a Swedish activist from the International Solidarity Movement, after they protested that the boy had been beaten after he was detained. He said he himself was head-butted by the border police unit commander when he was arrested.

click

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 26 April 2004 02:51 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, but, they were democratically used as human shields.
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 26 April 2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
They even use Rabbis?

You'd think, assuming the Arab Hordes(tm) were as senseless and violent and anti-Semitic as the official Israel line makes out, that using Rabbis as human shields would be kinda counterproductive.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 April 2004 04:19 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My, my! Such paragons of truth, justice and humanity in the Banana Republic of Israel.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 26 April 2004 06:53 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is the most pathetic thing I have read about in a long time. Tying people to jeeps. Banana republic indeed.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 27 April 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
The silence of Israel's supporters on this thread is deafening...
From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 April 2004 06:04 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The silence of Israel's supporters on this thread is deafening...

O where, O where can they (Macab)be?

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 27 April 2004 08:48 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by black_dog:

O where, O where can they (Macab)be?

Let's see if I can muster an impression...

"Uh, Israel wouldn't have to do this if it wasn't for...

A) Arafat being corrupt.

B) Arafat being a terrorist

C) Arafat being a roadblock to peace

D) Arafat not roping in Hamas/Islamic Jihad

E) Antisemitism in Europe

F) Antisemitism in Islamic/Arab countries (which are not democratic, BTW)

G) Antisemitism on Babble

H) The Holocaust and the historic persecution of Jews

I) The Palestinians making them do it

J) The loony 'left' in Israel and the antisemitic 'left'abroad who would simply cave into evil, depraved terrorists."

Oh, and I am personally offended by your comments.

However, now that this post has been made, the man-of-a-thousand-faces will undoubtedly 'condemn' this 'deplorable' behaviour and remark that - at least - in Israel there is an independent judiciary and media to expose the crimes. However, this diatribe will fail to note that an 'investigation' into the crimes will do little to change the results of these acts; nor that such 'investigations' have a woeful record on leading to redress to the victims, nor address the simple fact that the need for obfuscatory 'official investigations' seems to be all all-too-frequent of late. That there weren't more before is not due to the fact that 'deplorable' acts weren't taking place, but that the Israeli state had yet to discover the PR boon of staging well-choreographed 'investigations' into various acts of the military.

As though the mere diagnosing of a symptom were enough to cure the disease....

[ 27 April 2004: Message edited by: Courage ]

o
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4435

posted 27 April 2004 09:24 PM      Profile for o     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Awww you guys are so sweet..I don't post for a day and here you all are begging for more O.

Ok. Whats my opinion? Well, first I would love to see the actual photo....were they tied to a stationary vehicle or were they forced to march along while it was on a patrol? Just curious.

But judging by what I read in the article, it is clear that the Israelis were wrong in what they did..If these people were getting in the way of military operations they should have been detained and removed from the situation. No buts, no justifications.

Now lets see you guys try that next time there is a suicide bombing.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 April 2004 10:27 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by o:
Well, first I would love to see the actual photo....were they tied to a stationary vehicle or were they forced to march along while it was on a patrol? Just curious.

Haaretz

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 27 April 2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The picture's already been posted, Slim. I would submit that you are wasting your time.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coyote
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4881

posted 27 April 2004 11:29 PM      Profile for Coyote   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Right, o. 'Cause you've seen us all jumping for joy after suicide bombings.
From: O’ for a good life, we just might have to weaken. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 April 2004 11:34 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sarc:

So it has. I have trouble resisting a google challenge.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 April 2004 12:01 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Don't let me stop you. I'm just suggesting that your intended audience of one won't bother clicking the link. That's not what he's here for.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 28 April 2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Seems you are wrong
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 April 2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I wasn't talking about you, MacaLakeMisUdo. Glad to see that you checked out the article.
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 28 April 2004 10:16 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
and still, the silence prevails...
Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 28 April 2004 10:56 AM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasmobri:
I wasn't talking about you, MacaLakeMisUdo. Glad to see that you checked out the article.

"MacaLakeMisUdo"

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 April 2004 11:07 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Would you prefer LakeMishiMacUdo?
Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 28 April 2004 11:22 AM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Would you prefer LakeMishiMacUdo?

quote:
LakeMishiMacUdo

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 28 April 2004 11:31 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 28 April 2004 11:34 AM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 28 April 2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 28 April 2004 11:57 AM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 28 April 2004 12:03 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post

Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 28 April 2004 12:21 PM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 28 April 2004 12:25 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
hmmmm. confusion as a means to not discuss the thread topic. Nice.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 April 2004 12:51 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Udo and Macabee, look at the bloody Haaretz article already instead of sidetracking and nigletizing about the various handles you're addressed by.

Simply answer one question:

Do you deny that Israel, in bald photographic evidence, has proven itself to be no better than the Palestinian "Authority" it heaps scorn over by the use of people tied to jeeps as human shields?

For reference, this is the original article.

Oh look! Another article!

Wow! Even in Ha'aretz!

Now, presumably you two folks, Macabee and Udo, can read these above URLs.

So: what is "The Middle East's Only Democracy(TM)" doing in having its soldiers tie people to jeeps and use them as human shields? Oh, look! Even though the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that the use of civilians as human shields by the IDF is not permitted, the IDF is still doing it. In countries where the military acts as though it were above the law, and unaccountable to anybody except the top echelons of Government, we generally call those countries banana republics, or, if you like a nicer word, weak democracies.

And please, for gawd's sake, don't try to haul out the "soldiers were under stress and made mistakes" line of bilge, because the roars of laughter you'll get from me and others will be heard all over the country.

[ 28 April 2004: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 April 2004 02:38 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've always said if they keep on being a police state for the Palestinians long enough, they'll become a police state for their own as well.

Now they're tying rabbis to jeeps.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paladin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3119

posted 29 April 2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Paladin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rufus Polson:

Now they're tying rabbis to jeeps.[/QB]

Imagine, if a rabbi were tied to a jeep anywhere else, what would it be called....hmm?

From: Jugular knotch | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 03 May 2004 12:21 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
Did we ever get the benefit of one of our resident Israel supporters on this one? Or does it fall under the definition of Israel's 'strong democracy'?

Incidentally, I am a supporter of Israel and think they have just as much right to their own country as Palestine does. I'm just not convinced that a seemingly endless, brutal occupation and a generations-old oppression of the Palestinian people is the answer.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 September 2004 05:02 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So, did anybody ever get prosecuted and sentenced with real jail time instead of a slap on the wrist for this?
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 26 September 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by evenflow:
Did we ever get the benefit of one of our resident Israel supporters on this one? Or does it fall under the definition of Israel's 'strong democracy'?

Incidentally, I am a supporter of Israel and think they have just as much right to their own country as Palestine does. I'm just not convinced that a seemingly endless, brutal occupation and a generations-old oppression of the Palestinian people is the answer.

I agree with you Evenflow.

may05
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7031

posted 12 October 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for may05     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is a photo for the Pro-Israeli hypocrites to see

[ 12 October 2004: Message edited by: may05 ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca