babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » The new Crusade's in full swing

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The new Crusade's in full swing
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 18 March 2004 11:12 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"An American missionary proudly watches as a sea of Iraqi arms rise in witness to Jesus Christ and choruses of "Amen" compete with distant rattles of gunfire. The faithful sing familiar Christian hymns in Arabic, their voices bouncing off the shipping containers that protect the church from car bombs.

Every Sunday, more than 400 Iraqis travel to this well-to-do neighborhood far from the protection of an American base to worship in the National Biblical Christian Federation Church. Converted from Islam and from other branches of Christianity, they are the first ripple of a tidal wave that evangelical leaders pray will inundate the Middle East."

"An influential Shiite Muslim leader, Sheik Fatih Kashif Ghitaa, said, "Iraqis already see the American occupation as a religious war." Ghitaa said Shiite and Sunni clerics have discussed issuing a fatwa, or religious edict, against missionaries.

The missionaries — a mix of professional proselytizers and novices with little or no preparation — are buoyed by President Bush's evangelical bent, his oft-repeated biblical references and his vision of freedom spreading out from a saved Iraq.

"God and the president have given us an opportunity to bring Jesus Christ to the Middle East," said Tom Craig, an independent American missionary working in Iraq and Cyprus. "This is my commandment. No amount of danger will stop me.""

http://tinyurl.com/34lce

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 18 March 2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
When I read the first paragraph I thought it was a lead in for a pitch for a made for TV movie. Or an article from the Onion. But no....

Gawd!

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 18 March 2004 02:04 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And in related news...

quote:
Unknown assailants shot five Baptist missionaries in Iraq working on humanitarian projects Monday in the northern city of Mosul, the coalition said.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 18 March 2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, I was kind of waiting for that. I really don't think it's smart for American Christians with no understanding of what's going on to go in and proselytize Iraqis right now. I can see even Iraqis who aren't in the resistance as such deciding enough's enough and gunning them down.

I know I should be sympathetic, but really we're talking Darwin award here.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Agent 204
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4668

posted 18 March 2004 11:06 PM      Profile for Agent 204   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
"God and the president have given us an opportunity to bring Jesus Christ to the Middle East,"

Uh... isn't that where he came from in the first place?

[ 18 March 2004: Message edited by: Mike Keenan ]

From: home of the Guess Who | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
NDP Newbie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5089

posted 18 March 2004 11:19 PM      Profile for NDP Newbie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Keenan:

Uh... isn't that where he came from in the first place?

[ 18 March 2004: Message edited by: Mike Keenan ]

If Southern Baptists were prone to reason, the Souther Baptist Convention would no longer exist anymore.

The SBC was created (surprise, surprise) to protest the fact that a majority of Baptist congregations opposed the allowing of slave owners to be ministers.

With slavery being dead for years, why should a denominations with uses slavery as a crutch to justify its pathetic existance still have reason to exist?

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca