babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Where is the dictatorship?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is the dictatorship?
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 12 March 2004 09:21 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All right, I know the Americans are an imperial power, but from here it looks like they are trying to give the Iraqi people representative democracy. This is ridiculous of course, since if ordinary Iraqis had democracy they would no doubt refuse to sell their oil to the Americans. When will they stop pretending that they are democrats and crown Chilabi? Aren't they desperate to install a friendly dictator?
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 12 March 2004 09:41 PM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, they also have to win the next election. That means making a lot of visible efforts to foster democracy in Iraq, which can all safely (but regrettably) fail once the election is over. If they did win this year (which I don't believe they will), I think they would keep dragging it out in a limbo state for as many years as possible, never quite being a democracy but always moving towards one, in some weird, undefined way.
From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 12 March 2004 10:11 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If the GOP wins the election, will they Let bremer rule Iraq instead of Chilabi?

[ 13 March 2004: Message edited by: CMOT Dibbler ]

From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 13 March 2004 02:45 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm sure the Americans will teach "democracy" to the Iraqis very well. No doubt someday soon Iraqis will be able to watch vacuous, PR-industry-driven political "debates" devoid of any substance, see their political system corrupted to the core by special-interest money, cleanse their voter rolls of people of the wrong ethnicity, and watch as the the Iraqi Supreme Court appoints the losing candidate to the Presidency.

Just like in the Land of the Free.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 13 March 2004 04:35 AM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
What efforts are they making?
They're putting a lot of effort into getting the Iraqis a *constitution* with nice guarantees of freedom and stuff in it. But Iraq already had one of those, which nobody ever paid attention to. So I don't see where anything's being changed.

Meanwhile, they're trying hard to make sure that actual *elections* don't get held. They still want the rule-by-appointees-of-appointees-of-the-Americans method.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca