babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Words have failed us - Amira Hass

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Words have failed us - Amira Hass
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 March 2004 05:39 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/400454.html

An eloquent short article by Israeli journalist Amira Hass on the (wilful) failure to comprehend the Palestinian's living situation.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 09 March 2004 12:47 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Superb, as always.

quote:
In the IDF's targeted assassinations, 46 of those killed were the targets of the attacks - and 80 were passersby killed with "pinpoint prevention."

For those who like to make up excuses for this sort of shit: that's 37% "evil terrorists who deserve to die", versus 63% "regrettable but acceptable collateral damage". There's your damned "precision".

Sick, sick, sick.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 09 March 2004 10:45 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the sick to the obscene:

“X” marks the Israeli-Arab workers at Knesset building site
Hard hats worn by Israeli-Arab builders of the Knesset's new wing marked with a red “X” -- to aid security snipers. ADL criticizes move; speaker Rivlin orders practice stopped.

quote:
The distinctions between workers at the construction site aroused harsh reactions. “I think this is a shameful disgrace for the Knesset”, MK Issam Mahoul (Hadash-Ta’al) told Maariv. “This is exactly the kind of thing that creates people like Eliran Golan [who was arrested last week for bombing Mahoul's car]. I have no problem with security needs but this kind of marking is insufferable. If it isn’t removed, I will insist that it be replaced with a yellow patch”.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 10 March 2004 05:47 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good to see the ADL wading in on the Israeli Arabs' side of things.

For me, the key statement is this:

quote:
MK Mohammad Barakeh (Hadash-Ta’al) announced that he would raise the subject during a meeting of the Knesset Presidium today. “This is reminiscent of darker times and places in history."

Any guesses what 'darker time and place' he's talking about? You know, a recent time when people of certain backgrounds had to wear bright, distinctive badges in a public place to identify them?

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 10 March 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My god.
It's good to see at least that there's some outrage about it in Israel . . . this time.
But I do wonder; it seems as if they're constantly taking things a step further, there's outrage, then six months later it's "normal" and nobody cares any more. What road is Israel going down?

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 10 March 2004 02:51 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fear causes people to accept all kinds of awful things they might not otherwise.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca