babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Demands for Sharon's Resignation

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Demands for Sharon's Resignation
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 March 2004 03:35 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Poll: Majority of Israelis Want Sharon to Quit

quote:
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Battered by multiple scandals, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffered a fresh blow on Friday when an opinion poll in Israel's biggest newspaper showed that for the first time a majority of Israelis want him to quit.

The former general has vowed to weather the storms kicked up by allegations of corruption and misconduct that he denies. But much will depend on whether prosecutors now weighing criminal charges against Sharon decide to indict him.

The poll in the Yedioth Ahronoth daily found that 53 percent of those surveyed believe Sharon should resign as a result of the scandals, while 43 percent wanted him to stay on.

Opinions on how this particular cookie is going to crumble?

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 05 March 2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It's a rather disconcerting topic line.
From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 05 March 2004 02:43 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, I know, what about Lois and Bram?
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 March 2004 02:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hee, Sharon. Almost always, threads about good ole boy Ariel give me that momentary jolt.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 March 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I was thinking the same thing, Sharon.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 March 2004 09:16 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like Sharon may have to resign anyway.

quote:
JERUSALEM - Israel's chief prosecutor is recommending that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon be charged with allegedly taking bribes, according to the country's Channel 2 television.

Edna Arbel has drafted indictment that she intends to give to Attorney General Meni Mazuz, the TV station reported Saturday.

Mazuz would probably take at least a month before deciding whether to put Sharon on trial, Channel 2 said.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 28 March 2004 10:52 PM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Just another example of the checks and balances in a democratic country.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 March 2004 11:28 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Kind of reminds one of Al Capone, doesn't it?

A notorious killer gets pinched on a financial fiddle.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 29 March 2004 02:12 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, it's a farce. But a welcome one if it means taking that creep's twitchy finger off the trigger.

I'm a bit worried though. If he concludes that his jig is almost up, he might decide to go out with a bang and really whip up the flames in the territories as much as he can before he's yanked offstage.

It's hard to see how he could top last week's idiocy, but I'm sure Sharon is resilient enough to surprise us.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
lùx
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3497

posted 29 March 2004 03:25 AM      Profile for lùx        Edit/Delete Post
What a relief it will be to see him go. Sadly - Israelis will likely just elect another ex-Haganah terrorist as leader as they always have in the past and nothing will change.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2004 05:22 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israeli Leader's Son Must Yield Graft Probe Papers

quote:
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The Supreme Court Monday ordered Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's son to hand over documents crucial to probing corruption scandals that could topple the Israeli leader and sideline his Gaza Strip withdrawal plan.

Israel's attorney general Sunday received the chief prosecutor's recommendation to put Sharon, 76, on trial for alleged taking of bribes from a businessman who was pursuing a Greek island development scheme that ultimately flopped.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 March 2004 08:13 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:
Kind of reminds one of Al Capone, doesn't it?

A notorious killer gets pinched on a financial fiddle.

First association that ran through my mind too, al-Q.

Macabee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5227

posted 29 March 2004 08:18 AM      Profile for Macabee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lùx:
What a relief it will be to see him go. Sadly - Israelis will likely just elect another ex-Haganah terrorist as leader as they always have in the past and nothing will change.
Forgive me if I am wrong but in posts here and other threads you seem to have a rather unbridled dislike for anything Jewish or Israeli. Am I just seeing things or is there something to these feelings? One poster wondered in another thread if you believe in the "world wide Jewish conspiracy" so I am not the only one.

Babble thread

See Michelle's post dated 29 March 2004 at 6:38AM in above thread.

[ 29 March 2004: Message edited by: Macabee ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 March 2004 08:42 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Huh? "Anything Jewish or Israeli"? Where does that come from?
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 March 2004 12:14 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Another unconscious antisemite I suppose.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 29 March 2004 12:39 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suppose the majority of Israelis demanding Sharon's resignation are covert anti-semites as well.

The world leader (?) I'd love to see nailed on corruption charges is Silvio Berlusconi, but so far he seems to have been able to buy himself out of everything ...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rufus Polson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3308

posted 29 March 2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Rufus Polson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I suppose the question is, how frequently has Israel elected ex-terrorists or ex-assassins to lead the country? If it's a rare occurrence, then the speculation of it happening again might be construed as prejudiced.
As it happens, I believe it is frequent enough to make it a reasonable worry, and not just in the Likud party. Having been involved in the pre-founding violence is to Israel a bit like being "tough on crime" is to the US. That is, there's this widespread meme saying you're a wimp and less electable if you aren't in the club. I suppose the guys from the terrorist organizations that operated pre-1948 are mostly getting pretty old now, so they may go with folks like Barak who were special forces assassins or such.

From: Caithnard College | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 March 2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BTW, has anyone noticed the large number of threads started about US electoral politics, and the US intervention in Iraq. I think this undue interest in all things USA is possibly evidence of some deeper bigotry?

I'm not saying that it is... just floating the idea...

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 29 March 2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For that matter, why does so much of this board deal with Canada and Canadian problems. That seems symptomatic of some sort of inner bias with the posters here.

On a more topical note - the person most likely to replace Ariel "the butcher" Sharon (I'd like to avoid confusion with the other Sharon) is Bibi. Talk about going from bad to worse.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 March 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Macabee, please don't take my comments from another thread in response to a completely different post and imply that I would support the conclusion you draw in this thread.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 29 March 2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Maybe some people just dislike both Israel and the U.S.
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 29 March 2004 02:40 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Re Bibi:

Cueball. The irreverence. Honestly. Why am I not surprised blah blah some people on this site blah blah crossing the line blah blah perhaps not consciously blah blah Where did I say that? blah blah glass half full blah blah Syria's worse blah blah ... blah.

Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 29 March 2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey aren't they allied or something? That might mean that criticism of the US is implcitly criticism of Israel, and therefore....

Well, I'm not going to say it, but it seems fishy to me. Why don't people discuss cooking or interior decorating? Why the focus on Israel and its chief ally?

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 29 March 2004 03:48 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Magoo:
Maybe some people just dislike both Israel and the U.S.

Now you're getting it . . . count me in on that list .

You see, not everyone on this planet is as "all loving" as you seem to be . . . now, I know that you obviously love all nations on this earth, but I must have missed it when you declared your undying love to such nations as Saudi Arabia, Syria, Uganda, Russia, Cuba, etc . . . and since the search function doesn't seem to be able to find my requests for such references, could you do me a favour and repeat those "vows of love" for me? Just for the record you know!!

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 29 March 2004 03:55 PM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I too have noticed that lux seems to have a disdain for things jewish. Surely one can use other posts in other threads to prove this point.

Maccabee quoted Michelle quite correctly in linking lux with what she referred to as Jewish conspiracy theories". It had a direct connection to Maccabbee's point.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 March 2004 04:01 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah, but you and Macabee seem to think everyone around here has a dislike for all things Jewish. That's what happens when you cry wolf. People don't want to be associated with your blanket accusations. I certainly don't.

I didn't like one thing that lux posted in that other thread, and I called him on it. That doesn't mean I thought his post in this thread was out of line, and it certainly doesn't mean that I am of the same general opinion as you and Macabee.

Udo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5144

posted 29 March 2004 04:27 PM      Profile for Udo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I happen to disagree with maccabbee on a number of issues. And where have i claimed others were in the same pail as lux?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 March 2004 04:37 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Where did I say that you said others were in the same pail as lux?

What I said is that you and Macabee come on babble and start throwing around accusations about babblers in general being too focused on Israel and about how this sort of "obsession" is telling, etc. and...

You know what? I just realized, I've written almost this exact same post to Mishei and a few of his sock puppets whose writing styles are almost exactly the same as yours and Macabee's, and I just don't feel like going around this mulberry bush again. I just lost interest. Just like that.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 March 2004 04:44 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Come on Michelle, Udo made a point of spelling Macabee's name wrong back there.

Bah, I just lost interest myself. Soemtimes babble looks like a Punch and Judy show.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 29 March 2004 04:49 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And furthermore, this thread is off topic and isn't going to get back on topic again, I don't think.

So congratulations, Macabee and Udo. You win this one. If people want to start a new thread about demands for Sharon's resignation, please feel free. And if people start jumping in with stupid little sideshows about why we're focusing on Israel and bullshit like that, which we've been through four hundred thousand frigging times on babble already, then I'll try to keep a closer eye on the thread and shut down that kind of side-tracking more quickly. This is getting stupid.

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca