babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Non-violent resistance to the Occupation

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Non-violent resistance to the Occupation
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 16 February 2004 07:18 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Some of us hope that non-violent tactics can overthrow Israeli colonization of the occupied territories. Others are trying to make it work.

Endurance

quote:
In December 2003, Abu Ahmed and others in the village started to organize and called on the International Solidarity Movement -- a grass-roots Palestinian and international movement promoting nonviolent, direct-action methods of resistance (in the spirit of King) -- to join them in protesting the wall.

For days, hundreds of Palestinians marched against the wall, joined by international and Israeli civilians, mirroring similar protests elsewhere along the wall. Ultimately, and not unexpectedly, the Israeli Army struck back.

On one day, dozens were injured by live and rubber-coated steel bullets. On Dec. 26, an Israeli civilian, Gil Na'amati, was shot by Israeli soldiers at another protest, and on Dec. 30, a Swedish parliamentarian was arrested with eight other foreigners. One day later, Israeli Army Jeeps rolled into the village and arrested dozens of Palestinians, including most of the organizers. Nonetheless, Abu Ahmed and his fellow villagers continued, and on the night he was arrested, Jan. 14, he was planning the next day's demonstration.

The IOF's violent response is probably discouraging, and shows that non-violence is dangerous, but I still think it will be the only way to show the world the legitimacy of the Palestinian cause.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 17 February 2004 06:26 AM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Some of us hope that non-violent tactics can overthrow Israeli colonization of the occupied territories. Others are trying to make it work.

I understand the feeling. On the other hand I think that was what was going on, mostly, in the lead up to the Intifada. It didn'tget much play in the news. I have a feeling that without the violent counterpart this kind of thing is likely to disapear and take the preassure off.

Edited to add: I hope I am proven wrong.

[ 17 February 2004: Message edited by: Cueball ]

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca