babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Is Russia adopting the Israeli solution?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Russia adopting the Israeli solution?
Tolok
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4934

posted 14 February 2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Tolok        Edit/Delete Post
Killing of key Chechen separatist seen as retaliation

quote:
"In the 21st century, along with ice-picks and poisoned umbrellas, the Kremlin's terrorists now use bombs," Ibragim Gabi, a former aide to Mr. Yandarbiyev, was quoted as saying on a pro-rebel website, referring to weapons used by Soviet-era spies to eliminate political opponents.

From: Out of Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 14 February 2004 11:15 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm, I understand the Israel/Palestine analogy, but what is a post on Russia and Chechnya doing in "The Middle East"?
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tolok
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4934

posted 14 February 2004 01:19 PM      Profile for Tolok        Edit/Delete Post
The bombing took place in Qatar. Perhaps politics would be a more appropriate forum, though?
From: Out of Ontario | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 14 February 2004 05:07 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Or: rest of the world? Rather underused forum. If there were more traffic we could have, say, an Asia forum, a South America forum and so forth.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 14 February 2004 07:36 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Russians have always been in favor of ham-fisted solutions to problems, it seems to me. The Israelis just learned from the masters.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cueball
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4790

posted 14 February 2004 08:07 PM      Profile for Cueball   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
lol.

Yes, this assassintion is very simmilar to the assassination of the leadership of the Elie Hobeika just after he agreed to go to Belgium to testify against Sharon in regards to Sabra and Shatilla. Actually it was a rash of killings of the everone who new anything at all. I wouldn't be suprised if it were the same 'problem removal techicians,' that did the contract.

In that case it has been widely sumised that Sharon contracted out. But the thing is that people such as these have many enemies, even within their own organiztions. It would seem that sometimes, previously antagonists find common cause in some cases. So, I would not doubt that Palestinians, or disgruntled Phalangist were hired to kill Elie Hobeika by people close to Sharon.

Nor would I be suprised if the Russians found common cause with one of the factions of the notoriously fractured Chechyn resistance, to get rid of this not very nice guy.

From: Out from under the bridge and out for a stroll | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca