babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Middle eastern epics

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Middle eastern epics
CMOT Dibbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4117

posted 06 February 2004 07:58 PM      Profile for CMOT Dibbler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Do the arabs, Persians Kurds etc. have any lord of the rings type epics not counting the Koran Talmud, Bible or 1001 Arabian nights? I know that Gilgamesh springs instantly to mind, but if I remember correctly none of his stories involved great armies.
From: Just outside Fernie, British Columbia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 06 February 2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Pre-Islamic Persian mythology and epic poetry is vast and ancient, like the Shahnameh.

The Arabs are Semites and so their stories are precisely the religious ones, and anything that came thereafter like the Arabian nights.

From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 February 2004 08:25 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There's the Shahnameh, by Ferdowsi, which is the Book of Kings, and that's Persian. But I've never read it, so I don't know if it's an epic. I think it's a collection of stories.

Ha. If you can believe it, I skipped right over "Shahnameh" in Mandos' post. Guess the speedreading thing just ain't "on" tonight.

[ 06 February 2004: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 06 February 2004 10:44 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Shahnameh is definitely an epic in that sense. It is also the longest poem written by a single person. The complete English translations I have seen are not very good, but there is a good selection of episodes in French under the title "Livre des rois" published by Sindbad. You can check www.fnac.fr or www.amazon.fr. I ordered it from Librairie Champlain here in Toronto.

Or you could learn classical Persian and read the eight-volume original for yourself.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 06 February 2004 10:45 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2742738320/qid=1076121877/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_2_15/402-4858991-0921758
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 06 February 2004 10:51 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Intro to the Shahnameh

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5

[ 06 February 2004: Message edited by: rasmus raven ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 February 2004 12:44 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Oops.

[ 07 February 2004: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 February 2004 09:46 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by rasmus raven:
Or you could learn classical Persian and read the eight-volume original for yourself.

I'll get right on that.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca