babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Lawlessness in the PA

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lawlessness in the PA
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 February 2004 08:33 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Last week, in an article mostly ignored abroad, Bassam Eid, a brave man who runs the Palestinian Human Rights Monitoring Group, described the violence that now rages uncontrolled among his people. His article, "The Reign Of the Thugs," in an Israeli daily, Haaretz, said the Palestinian Authority can't begin to curb the violence. Palestinians murder other Palestinians in cold blood and no one gets charged. Gunmen, some political and some apparently not, spread fear among the population. But, Eid asks, "What Palestinian interior minister would be daring enough to punish those responsible? Would the Palestinian interior minister be killed if he imposed a penalty upon them?"

Lawlessness in the PA

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 02 February 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And your point? There's nothing new here. Whenever a people are fighting for independence there is usually intercine bloodshed. The Irgun and the Stern gang killed fellow Jews, and Ben-Gurion ordered that one of the Irgun's ships be sunk. All this article does is support the notion that Arafat has little control. Which is contrary to what the Israeli government's PR flacks constantly tell the western media.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 02 February 2004 12:04 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not to mention the horrific internecine violence going on at the very same time during the Indian struggle for freedom ...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 February 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
And your point? There's nothing new here. Whenever a people are fighting for independence there is usually intercine bloodshed. The Irgun and the Stern gang killed fellow Jews, and Ben-Gurion ordered that one of the Irgun's ships be sunk. All this article does is support the notion that Arafat has little control. Which is contrary to what the Israeli government's PR flacks constantly tell the western media.
When there is a leader within the PA who shows the courage and forward thinking of David Ben Gurion we then may very well be near an end to this morass.

And Josh, many post items of interest without comment. Why do you insist on asking for my point.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 02 February 2004 01:07 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mishei, this is not about the content of your post, just a question. Some other babblers do this systematically as well, I just happened to see yours as it was bolded. Why do you often quote an entire post just previous to yours? People see all the thread. This might make sense with a very long thread or long posts.

I guess I'm just on a nitpicking editing kick ...

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 02 February 2004 01:10 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm with you, lagatta. Like I said, I'm thisclose to getting rid of that "reply with quote" option.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 02 February 2004 01:16 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Reply with Quote is a useful feature for those who want to make it clear which post they are replying to. For those who check in less often than "the regulars", it also allows them to reply to a post near the top of a thread without worrying about where the thread may have drifted since that time. Couldn't we just ban those who don't use the feature properly?
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 02 February 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"And Josh, many post items of interest without comment. Why do you insist on asking for my point."

It was more of a rhetorical question.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 02 February 2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
"And Josh, many post items of interest without comment. Why do you insist on asking for my point."

It was more of a rhetorical question.

Of course

xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 02 February 2004 05:52 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
As an aside, this topic is already underway here.
From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca