babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic

Email this thread to someone!
Author Topic: Theater Professor in Israel fired - please sign petition and circulate to colleagues
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 26 January 2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post
Here is a shocking story that needs immediate action. Please do spread the word and make your voice heard.

Dear colleagues:

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Performance Anxiety
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3474

posted 03 February 2004 08:31 PM      Profile for Performance Anxiety        Edit/Delete Post
This just in from the OTL:

quote:
Dear Professor Aaron Ben-Zeev (Rector, University of Haifa) & Professor Yossi Ben-Artzi (Dean of Humanities),

I am writing today in support of director and theatrician Avraham Oz, who I am informed has been fired from his posting at Haifa University due to his "controversial" theatrical work. As the Artistic Facilitator of the Optative Theatrical Laboratories it is my job to theatrically challenge hegemonic thought-patterns and oppressive systems, and this case would appear to fall within the mandate I am obliged to uphold.

Censorship, bias, and discrimination are matters we do not take lightly at the OTL, and have run into similar instances embedded in academia in the past. For example:

http://www.thefileroom.org/documents/dyn/DisplayCase.cfm/id/413

I am urging you as a theatrician concerned about the erosion of theatre as an agent for positive social change to reconsider your actions. The work of Mr. Oz is extremely important in terms of realizing a peaceful resolution in your troubled land. To deny him his expression and artistic craftsmanship signifies another nail in the coffin of everlasting peace in your region. Denying progressive artists outlets will only result in further exacerbating the oppressive situation that already exists. By asserting that the theater has no standing in the university, you deny the power of the only medium that encompasses all mediums. To quote the world's most famous theatrical theorist Augusto Boal: "The being becomes human when theatre is created". As the head of a "humanities" department, your actions effectively negate your own position.

Once more, I urge you to reconsider. Far from marginalizing Mr. Oz, he should be promoted for his vision and courage.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this further.

Regards,

Donovan King, Artistic Facilitator

Optative Theatrical Laboratories

"Art is not a mirror to reflect reality, but a hammer with which to shape it. " - Bertolt Brecht

Online at: http://www.travestytheatre.com/otl.html

From: Outside of the box | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged