babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Who Wants to be a Palestinian?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Wants to be a Palestinian?
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 16 January 2004 03:16 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Would anyone here wish to be a Palestinian?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 16 January 2004 03:24 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps you'd like to tell us why you're asking.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 16 January 2004 03:27 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Can I use one of my lifelines, Regis?
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rebecca West
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1873

posted 16 January 2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Rebecca West     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would not wish to be a Palestinian living in Israeli-occupied territory. Apart from that ... I don't know what it is like to be a Palestinian. A colleague of mine is a Palestinian American, her parents displaced Palestinians with Jordanian citizenship, I believe. From what I have observed of her, her religion, culture and traditions, I cannot see that being Palestinian, in and of itself, is at all a negative thing.
From: London , Ontario - homogeneous maximus | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 16 January 2004 04:37 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Palestinians I knew, when I lived in Arab East Jerusalem, were the most open-hearted, generous, thoughtful people I have ever met, to this day. I'd rather be a Bedouin, though; for the Negev is beautiful beyond description.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 16 January 2004 04:42 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You couldn't pay me enough to be one, that's for sure. Color me selfish, but I like my complacent boring life handling radioactive isotopes.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 January 2004 04:51 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Al Qa-bong, are you referring to the dreadful situation of Palestinians under Israeli occupation or to Palestinian culture, history, society?

I know a fair number of Diaspora Palestinians - they are strikingly like the Jews, with a strong commitment to culture and education. Positive stereotype, I know. (Oh, those brainy Semites)

If ever the unpleasantness over there is settled somehow, the climate is certainly appealing, as is the food . I had a friend from Split, in Croatia, another lovely place in the Mediterranean where life was very tough a decade ago. Fortunately for her at least in Croatia things are considerably better now.

[ 16 January 2004: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 18 January 2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagatta:
Al Qa-bong, are you referring to the dreadful situation of Palestinians under Israeli occupation or to Palestinian culture, history, society?

I know a fair number of Diaspora Palestinians - they are strikingly like the Jews, with a strong commitment to culture and education. Positive stereotype, I know. (Oh, those brainy Semites)

If ever the unpleasantness over there is settled somehow, the climate is certainly appealing, as is the food . I had a friend from Split, in Croatia, another lovely place in the Mediterranean where life was very tough a decade ago. Fortunately for her at least in Croatia things are considerably better now.

[ 16 January 2004: Message edited by: lagatta ]

Split is lovely - one of the favoured Balkan vacation spots. Dubrovnik is also gorgeous, though it took a pummeling during the war.

xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 19 January 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who wants to be a paramedic?

Paramedics under seige

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 19 January 2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who wants to be Latvian? who wants to be Paraguyan?

This is a ridiculous question.

xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 19 January 2004 10:45 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 20 January 2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Who wants to be Pictish?
From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 20 January 2004 03:03 AM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Who wants to be Pictish?

It's not gonna happen. You can keep asking until you're blue in the face.

xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 20 January 2004 11:11 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A Pictish state
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 21 January 2004 12:22 AM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good one.
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 21 January 2004 06:28 AM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca