babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Two solitudes

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Two solitudes
Wilf Day
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3276

posted 16 January 2004 12:36 PM      Profile for Wilf Day     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well-educated citizens of Istanbul, Turkey, are not radicals, they say -- but they still think the CIA staged Sept. 11.

quote:
I hired an interpreter . . . named Muhram, an exceptionally intelligent young man currently studying for his Masters degree in economics . . .

The most disturbing episode came at the end of the day when Murham and I sat down and talked as friends. I secretly figured it would be fairly easy to shatter his delusions about the CIA being responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11. But for every ‘fact' I produced, he countered with an opposing theory, to him everything was made up, all the Arabs publicly involved (ie; bin Laden) were actors playing out a CIA script. Not content with just defense, Murham claimed I was too easily accepting false evidence, and that I was duped, not him.

Shortly I realized the futility of the conversation.

It was true. I couldn't prove anything. From Murham's perspective, I was operating on a very untrustworthy pile of received intelligence, which is exactly what I also thought of him.

[ 16 January 2004: Message edited by: Wilfred Day ]

From: Port Hope, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 17 January 2004 12:48 AM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I secretly figured it would be fairly easy to shatter his delusions about the CIA being responsible for the attacks of Sept. 11. But for every ‘fact' I produced, he countered with an opposing theory, to him everything was made up,

Sounds awfully familiar. It's almost identical to the way Bush supporters cling frantically to their particular mythological fantasies (WMD's, Saddam in bed with al-Qaeda, US promoting Iraqi "democracy"), no matter how much the evidence to the contrary piles up.

Sometimes I think everyone in the world went mad on September 11th.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca