babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » How do you say impeachment in Hebrew?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you say impeachment in Hebrew?
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 13 January 2004 01:50 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was directly and personally involved in illegal foreign contributions to his campaign to head the Likud in 1999, according to a tape recording of Sharon revealed last night on Channel 2 by private investigator David Spector, who served on the Sharon campaign as a "strategic consultant."

Under questioning by first the state comptroller and subsequently the police during an inquiry that began in 2001, Sharon repeatedly denied any involvement in the financing of his campaigns, saying that his sons, particularly Omri (now an MK), handled the finances.

But the Channel 2 broadcast last night not only included a tape recording of a conversation in which Sharon and Spector discussed money transfers from Europe and America; it also showed a document referred to in the conversation, a list of the foreign currency accounts in Israeli banks where the donations were deposited. The prime minister is heard asking Spector for information on the accounts, saying he needs the information by five that afternoon.

"There is no doubt that [Ariel] Sharon was involved in everything and was interested in the smallest details," Spector said, adding that contrary to Sharon's claims, the prime minister was responsible for raising funds overseas, while Omri Sharon dealt with "private-technical" matters and did not deal with overseas donations."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/382303.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 13 January 2004 05:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I thought Netanyahu got in trouble for this, but the issue never "got legs".
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 13 January 2004 05:16 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm pretty sure he was no longer prime minister by then. I think the scandal was free contracting work he had done at his home.
From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 13 January 2004 07:53 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The convicted war criminal gets in trouble over illegal campaign contributions?? I suppose if Al Capone could be stopped with tax laws then this too is possible, but I'm not optimistic
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 13 January 2004 10:15 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
The convicted war criminal gets in trouble over illegal campaign contributions?? I suppose if Al Capone could be stopped with tax laws then this too is possible, but I'm not optimistic
Which convicted war criminal are you babbling about?

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 14 January 2004 10:23 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The one running your country!
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 January 2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Your country"? I thought Mishei was Canadian, although it's possible that he holds dual citizenship, I suppose. Still, rather presumptuous, don't you think, No Yards?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 14 January 2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The convicted war criminal gets in trouble over illegal campaign contributions??

IIRC, Sharon was merely lightly reprimanded (censured?) for his past butchery. A conviction would imply some sort of court martial or civilian penalty, neither of which materialized. Is there blood on his hands? Yes. Is he a convicted war criminal? Sadly, no.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 14 January 2004 01:44 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
"Your country"? I thought Mishei was Canadian, although it's possible that he holds dual citizenship, I suppose. Still, rather presumptuous, don't you think, No Yards?

Yes, rather!! But why do you presume he is a Canadian? Did he show you his passport?

No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 14 January 2004 01:57 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasmobri:

IIRC, Sharon was merely lightly reprimanded (censured?) for his past butchery. A conviction would imply some sort of court martial or civilian penalty, neither of which materialized. Is there blood on his hands? Yes. Is he a convicted war criminal? Sadly, no.

A commission of inquiry found him guilty of complicity in the Christian militiamen massacre of some 700 Palestinian men, women, and children.

A military group murdering 700 + men women and children is a war crime, of that there can be no doubt . . . The fact he was never properly punished is a technicality that should not lessen the seriousness of his crime, nor prevent anyone from labeling him for what he is!

Saddam has not been found guilty yet, but that would not stop anyone from calling him a war criminal, nor should it prevent us from dragging Sharon out from his "spider hole" as well.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 14 January 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
I'm pretty sure he was no longer prime minister by then. I think the scandal was free contracting work he had done at his home.

He should meet Glen Clark.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 15 January 2004 08:34 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Sharon stopped thinking about Israel and began thinking only about himself and his family a long time ago. Instead of initiating a diplomatic breakthrough that would lead to an end to the conflict with the Palestinians, he is focusing on survival. He wants to remain in power as long as possible, and at any price, in order to protect himself, his sons and his family's property from the criminal investigations being conducted against them.

The peace process and Israel's future do not interest him anymore. His tactic is, therefore, not to do anything, and certainly not to initiate anything, but rather to let the days pass, to procrastinate - in the hope that all the suspicions of bribery and fund-raising for shell companies will evaporate."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/383229.html

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 15 January 2004 09:00 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, that would explain why Sharon keeps prodding the Palestinians whenever there is a lull in the violence, or whenever there's any danger of peace coming about - if it looks like an agreement can be reached, then a right-wing warhawk nutjob like him would never get enough votes to stay in power.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca