babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Lapid lambastes `barbaric' settlers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Lapid lambastes `barbaric' settlers
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 20 December 2003 03:06 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Justice Minister Yosef Lapid yesterday launched a verbal assault on Jewish settlers in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, describing their behavior as "barbaric," and accusing them of having "de facto" control in Israel.

quote:
By Haaretz Staff

Lapid said that the settlers "in their heart of hearts dream of the transfer of Palestinians to the [eastern] banks of the Jordan [River], a solution which is not only barbaric, but also utterly impossible."

Speaking at the Herzliya Conference, Lapid said that "even though Israel is an exemplary democracy, it is de facto controlled by a small minority of Yesha [West Bank and Gaza] settlers who represent a minority within the settlers themselves."

He added: "Their answer to the demographic problem is for another million immigrants to arrive in the country, although no one knows from where."

The Yesha Council said in response to the justice minister's speech that "Lapid is preaching a unilateral withdrawal under fire."

Lapid also called for the peace process to be speeded up, citing, among other reasons, the development of nuclear weapons by Iran and Pakistan, as well as the demographic problem posed by the Palestinians.

Speakers at the Herzliya Conference yesterday referred to the controversial comments made by Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu the day before, in which he said that the Israeli Arab population posed a demographic threat to the country.

Dr. Yitzhak Ravid, a senior researcher at Rafael, Israel's Armament Development Authority, proposed during a short speech under the heading "Learning from Iran and Egypt," that the state implement a stringent policy of family planning in relation to its Muslim population, claiming that "the delivery rooms in Soroka Hospital in Be'er Sheva have turned into a factory for the production of a backward population."

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 December 2003 03:15 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Huh.

Nice gang of idiots they've got over in Israel.
Dr. Ravid says that Muslims produce "a backward population." Gee, no racism there! The Yesha Council takes a sideswipe at the Justice minister by indirectly calling him a wimp, and the Justice Minister himself is sure to get slapped by Sharon for advocating any kind of withdrawal from the Occupied Territories.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 20 December 2003 04:49 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is the bad time before things turn around for the better.

The fighting and mistrust will soon end, Arab and Jew will live together and build Jerusalem in Palestines's green and pleasant land.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 December 2003 11:34 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jewish settlers crux of a deepening quandary

quote:
HEBRON, West Bank - Miriam Levinger was ecstatic. She and her husband had just driven to Hebron in a truck loaded with supporters and checked into a small Palestinian-owned hotel.
It was Passover 1968, a year after Israel captured the West Bank, and Levinger and her rabbi husband believed they were on a holy mission - to renew a Jewish presence in a biblical city where Jews had lived for centuries until the Arab-Israeli conflict drove them out in 1929.

Levinger is not native Israeli. She's from the United States.

quote:
Joe Turner, a Long Island native who immigrated to Israel in 1979, moved here six years ago for the cheap housing. At 48, he teaches Jewish philosophy in Jerusalem, driving to work on a road that saw several deadly shootings before being made off-limits to Palestinians.

Efrat's 7,000 people live just five miles from the pre-1967 border. An eventual formal "correction" of the old border is a reasonable price for the Arabs to pay for their decades of hostility, Turner says.

Correction. *snicker* I like that. "Hey, you Arabs, you don't mind if we just sorta nibble around the 1967 borders without giving you the same land area back somewhere else, now do you? In fact, we'll just blame you for it anyway."

Oh, and emphasis mine about the cheap land. It is clear that the Israeli government knows that under normal circumstances people would realize they're being sold a pig in a poke (no offence intended, by the way, about the pig part), but people get stars in their eyes when they see "CHEAP LAND! GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY!" and whumpf, off they go only to find out years later that, yep, they got a pig in a poke anyway.

quote:
The Levingers and several dozen followers checked in to the Park Hotel posing as Swiss tourists. The next day, the rabbi declared their true identity and announced the intention of re-establishing Hebron's Jewish community.

Colonization by lies and stealth. What happened to being honest about your intentions?

[ 20 December 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 December 2003 12:07 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I do confess that I got a bit of a chuckle from the thought of that group from the Bronx posing as Swiss tourists ...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 21 December 2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I agree 100%, everytime you see an interview with these fanatical settlers, they all have grating Brooklyn accents and then they go on about the West Bank (or wherever) being their home (sic.). If I had my way, those people would all be shipped in containers back to Coney Island where they belong.

Its nice that at least in Israel, you can get a Justice Minister who will come out and attack these pernicious people head-on. It would be nice if someone of equivalent stature on the Palestinians side would denounce fanatics among the Palestinians in the same tone.

PS: Lapid doesn't have to worry about what Sharon thinks of him. He is from another party that is rigidly secularist and he is needed by Sharon not to have to depend on the extreme right to form a government. Sharon needs Lapid way more than Lapid needs Sharon!

From what I have read about Lapid, he sounds like my kinda guy. His whole party has the main goal of reducing the influence of the religious freaks in Israel. He wants an end to restriction on commerce and transport on Saturdays, open sale of pork and an end to the boondoggle of government grants to religious schools etc... All the more power to him. Any politician who is anti-clerical and is willing to fight religious freaks will get my vote any day of the week.

DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 22 December 2003 12:12 AM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
If I had my way, those people would all be shipped in containers back to Coney Island where they belong.

Stockholm, what do you say to Arafat who is an Egyptian?

And what would you say to an Aboriginal Canadian who thinks, about you, me and the rest of us, just like you think about the settlers?

(mutter) Those who live in glass houses ... (/mutter)

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 05 January 2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
(mutter)...Two wrongs don't make a right...(/mutter)
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 05 January 2004 03:57 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
And what would you say to an Aboriginal Canadian who thinks, about you, me and the rest of us, just like you think about the settlers?

I'd say that the Aboriginal is correct. After all, what is happening in Palestine is no different than what happened here: genocidal maniacs cleansing the land of the "merciless indian savages" (to quote the Declaration of Independence) so God's people can take their rightful place.

It's kinda ironic those Americans who move to Palestine come from a place that has already eradicated its native population for their sake.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 05 January 2004 04:34 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jingles:

I'd say that the Aboriginal is correct. After all, what is happening in Palestine is no different than what happened here: genocidal maniacs cleansing the land of the "merciless indian savages" (to quote the Declaration of Independence) so God's people can take their rightful place.

It's kinda ironic those Americans who move to Palestine come from a place that has already eradicated its native population for their sake.

(You are welcome to leave the country anytime you wish if you feel that it is so unjust to be here.)

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jingles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3322

posted 07 January 2004 04:08 PM      Profile for Jingles     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(You are welcome to leave the country anytime you wish if you feel that it is so unjust to be here.)

Interesting. Do you mean that you don't feel the continuing N. American genocide is unjust? Or do you mean that because we benefit from the exterminations and theft that preceded our arrival we should just shut up and enjoy the spoils?
As a matter of fact, I don't "feel" colonialism and imperialism are unjust; those are things people of conscience and morality know to be unjust. To bad you do not.

From: At the Delta of the Alpha and the Omega | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 January 2004 06:06 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:

Hey, I don't see you leaving Canada, even though you boys complain all the time about how our taxes are allegedly so goddamn onerous you can't rub two dimes together.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca