WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 07 December 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Underlying the new strategy, the Americans say, is the conviction that only a tougher approach will quell the insurgency and that the new strategy must punish not only the guerrillas but also make clear to ordinary Iraqis the cost of not cooperating.

NY Times

From: Out There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 07 December 2003 01:33 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The SS did these things to their own countrymen. The US is doing it to an occupied country. While the morality of it is equally dismal, it is nothing new or uncommon for occupiers to oppress the occupied.
From: me to you | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 07 December 2003 04:43 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"'With a heavy dose of fear and violence, and a lot of money for projects, I think we can convince these people that we are here to help them,' Colonel Sassaman said."
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 07 December 2003 05:11 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"You have to understand the Arab mind," Capt. Todd Brown, a company commander with the Fourth Infantry Division, said as he stood outside the gates of Abu Hishma. "The only thing they understand is force — force, pride and saving face."

Gee, Captain Todd Brown wouldn't last long on babble, would he?

But then, you have to understand the American military mind: impervious to thought after age eleven.

As I read the opening paras on what the Americans are doing -- surrounding the villages with razor wire, bulldozing houses, subjecting villagers to the humiliation of identity cards -- I was about to ask: now, where would they have learned those tactics?

But the NYTimes is at least sharp enough to make that connection for us.

From: gone | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 07 December 2003 05:37 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"You have to understand the Arab mind," Capt. Todd Brown, a company commander with the Fourth Infantry Division, said as he stood outside the gates of Abu Hishma. "The only thing they understand is force — force, pride and saving face."

This is rich, coming from someone whose countrymen have never encountered a problem too complex for a few airstrikes to remedy.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 December 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The Arab Mind". *snicker*. Do these morons really still have that white man's burden mythology rattling around in their heads?

If they really wanted to understand "the Arab mind", they would quit being soldiers and live as Arabs.

Live as they. Think as they. Be as they.

Understanding comes from immersion as much as it does from observation, and these soldiers would do well to mark that down.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 08 December 2003 07:15 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The offer's been extended..

quote:
"Colonel Sassaman, you should come and live in this village and be a sheik," Hassan Ali al-Tai told the colonel outside the checkpoint.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
babbler/dabbler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4633

posted 08 December 2003 12:22 PM      Profile for babbler/dabbler        Edit/Delete Post
"'With a heavy dose of fear and violence, and a lot of money for projects, I think we can
convince these people that we are here to help them,' Colonel Sassaman said."
quote:

You have to understand the Arab mind...all they know is force, force, pride and saving face!
Who would have known that the Americans think the Arabs have so much in common with them!

From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 10 December 2003 08:13 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Take No Prisoners

quote:
Wounded, another Iraqi writhes on the ground. The Marines kill him, then cheer.

"Man those guys are dead now, but it was, like, awesome...it's like, yeah let's do it again!"

From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 December 2003 08:29 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Be someone.
Kill someone.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Moderator
Babbler # 560

posted 10 December 2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Not that I doubt that there is that kind of mentality - but that clip of the soldier speaking on camera after the clip of the killing - well, he could have been talking about anything. We don't really know that he was talking about that particular killing that we witnessed or that he was even present at that killing.

But it was pretty horrible to hear those soldiers cheering when they killed that wounded soldier. That in itself is reprehensible.

[ 10 December 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 14 January 2004 11:29 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The SS did these things to their own countrymen. The US is doing it to an occupied country.

Well, no. The SS operated in all German occupied territories.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stockholm
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3138

posted 14 January 2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Stockholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But it was pretty horrible to hear those soldiers cheering when they killed that wounded soldier. That in itself is reprehensible.

Its probably almost as horribe as watching crowds of Saudis having a picnic with the kids to watch the public executions.

From: Toronto | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 15 January 2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

Well, no. The SS operated in all German occupied territories.

I would add that since the U.S. essentially feels the entire planet is under its juridiction, that the analogy is fine. 'Police action'.

From: Earth | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 15 January 2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:

Its probably almost as horribe as watching crowds of Saudis having a picnic with the kids to watch the public executions.

Which, of course, is almost as horrible as sitting down with the kids to watch a few hundred people a night get offed on TV.

From: Earth | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 15 January 2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Posted to wrong thread.

[ 15 January 2004: Message edited by: Non-partisan partisan ]

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 15 January 2004 02:57 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stockholm:

Its probably almost as horribe as watching crowds of Saudis having a picnic with the kids to watch the public executions.

I can imagine. What's it like watching them? Do they cheer? Do they have restrictions like "PG" or "R" or can kids of any age go? What do they eat at these picnics? I'm guessing ham sandwiches aren't an option.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged