babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » What the war does to us -- IDF

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What the war does to us -- IDF
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 04 December 2003 06:56 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ahh, I finally found this. It was printed in last weekend's Guardian weekend magazine, and until this morning I thought it hadn't made it into the website. It's the result of a journalist being attached to a unit of IDF soldiers in Nablus.

Link to article

There's also a second page's worth attached.

I want to post a 'representative' quote, but I simply can't find one! I'll offer this up:

quote:
"Politics don't belong here," Aviram said. "There's no room for these discussions. I have soldiers who are settlers, and I have soldiers who think the settlements should be dismantled." None the less, it's not hard to figure out who thinks what.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 December 2003 11:32 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
IDF nabs 16 wanted Palestinians in W. Bank, raids Gaza camp

quote:
Israel Defense Forces troops arrested a total of 16 wanted Palestinians in a series of overnight raids on West Bank villages north of Ramallah that ended early Saturday, an Israeli military source said.

Troops also entered the Balata refugee camp about 7:30 A.M. Saturday and began conducting house-to-house searches. The soldiers used tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse a crowd of stone throwers, the Israeli military and Palestinian witnesses said.

"Wanted" for what? Why is the PA not arresting these people at the request of the Israeli government? Why is the military, instead of the police, involved in arresting these people?

If you want my submission of what war does, or the reasonable facsimile thereof does, it makes soldiers into policemen - something they cannot and should not be.

[ 20 December 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 20 December 2003 11:52 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The military said the incursion was a routine operation in search of militants and weapons.

Presumably wanted for that.

It's a bit murky, whether the police or the military should be arresting people. Obviously, the military's role ideally should be to 'close with and destroy the enemy', and nothing else. But then, we send our soldiers to keep the peace between factions and hand out food aid and...

So there's some slippage between military and paramilitary (ie, police in this case) roles, even in the occupied territories.

Going back to that Guardian article, hearing the statements made by the paratroopers who were the main focus and comparing them to those of the military policewoman, I'd rather the paratroops be sent into the OT to arrest someone, as from the sound of it the IDF MP's are drawn from the much-less-stable/intelligent/capable of reflection recruits available. The paratroops, at least, might think before they acted.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 20 December 2003 12:21 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"militants and weapons" is too vague for my liking.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 06 January 2004 08:50 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Retired officer returns badge of rank to protest IDF policies

quote:
A retired Israel Defense Forces officer said Sunday he has turned in his badge of rank to the country's military chief to protest Israel's policies in the territories.

The symbolic move by Lieutenant Colonel Eitan Ronel, 51, who left the IDF reserves two years ago, was the latest in a series of anti-government protests by officers and members of elite units.

In September, a group of air force pilots sent a letter to Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Moshe Ya'alon to protest IDF airstrikes in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Last month, 13 members of the elite Sayeret Matkal commando unit, known for daring operations like the 1976 Entebbe hostage rescue, announced they would no longer serve in the West Bank and Gaza.

Ronel told Israel Radio on Sunday that he sent his badge of rank to Ya'alon, together with a letter protesting what he called "the immoral conduct of the Israel Defense Forces in the territories."

Ronel said his action was prompted by the army's shooting of an unarmed Israeli demonstrator near the West Bank separation barrier on December 26.

"A country in which the army disperses demonstrations by live gunfire is not a democratic country," Ronel wrote in his letter, which was quoted in the Yedioth Aharonoth daily. "An army that educates its soldiers that such a crime is conceivable has lost all restraint."

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca