babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » israel threatens iran

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: israel threatens iran
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 24 November 2003 03:19 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
ISRAEL has warned that it is prepared to take unilateral military action against Iran if the international community fails to stop any development of nuclear weapons at the country’s atomic energy facilities.

As the International Atomic Energy Agency prepares to meet again this week to discuss the situation in Iran, Israel has told Washington it is prepared to act alone and launch a strike similar to its attack on Iraq in 1981 when its air force bombed a nuclear reactor near Baghdad.

In an apparent attempt to increase pressure on the IAEA and United Nations to limit the development of Iran’s nuclear facilities, Israel’s defence minister Shaul Mofaz has made what sources have described as a warning of "unprecedented severity".

At the time of the Iraq attack, Israel defended its actions, claiming it had dealt a devastating blow to Saddam Hussein’s goal of developing nuclear weapons. Israel views Iran in much the same way as it did Saddam’s Iraq.

Mofaz set out his government’s position last week during a visit to the United States stating that "under no circumstances would Israel be able to tolerate nuclear weapons in Iranian possession".

He said that in the course of the next year Iran’s drive for nuclear weapons would "reach the point of no return".

news.scotsman.com

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 24 November 2003 04:59 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If I was alerting the world to the danger of nuclear proliferation, specifically in Iran, I think I'd pick a better ally than the Powel that cried wolf.

[ 24 November 2003: Message edited by: Tommy_Paine ]

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 24 November 2003 06:13 AM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post
this is not the first time israel has threatened iran, not even the first time recently. israel is the big boy on the block, and intends things to stay that way.

i say let iran have their reactors, but keep the warheads in the purely theoretical realm. keep the iaea hanging around inspecting things. bombing them won't make the clerics act any nicer.

and, even if iran managed to produce nuclear weapons, i don't think they'd be stupid enough to use them for anything more than a deterrent to attacks like those being currently threatened.

sure, that makes it harder to invade the country and overthrow the fundy govt., but i think the people of iran may be (slowly) on their way back to democracy anyways.

but then, i guess we don't want an islamic country having the power to make their own decisions, now do we?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 25 November 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 25 November 2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm no fan of Israel or Iran. Whouldn't you think that the two powers (potentially) would sit down and talk peace if they are equally as strong. Is the nuclear proliferation treaty designed to keep the mighty... mighty and the weak... weak?

I said this before. We've seen it in Sri Lanka. the Tamals have gained military might in their fight. Then, and only then did the Sri Lankan's become interested in talking peace. If you live in a small village with the only gun in town, you rule and you have to answer to nobody!

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 25 November 2003 01:40 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmm. I see your point, but I can't see myself arguing for arms proliferation as a means of peacemaking.

That said, how incredibly hypocritical and self-superior it is of Israel to assume that they, and only they, have the right to nuclear arms in the Middle East. I always have to laugh when countries with nuclear arms criticize other countries for trying to get nuclear arms.

[ 25 November 2003: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 25 November 2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm no fan of Israel or Iran. Whouldn't you think that the two powers (potentially) would sit down and talk peace if they are equally as strong. Is the nuclear proliferation treaty designed to keep the mighty... mighty and the weak... weak?

Well, they might, but they aren't the only two countries out there. I expect what's more likely is a little like Cold War II, with Russia (or somebody) propping up Iran and the USA buying weapons for Israel.

DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 25 November 2003 04:08 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
That said, how incredibly hypocritical and self-superior it is of Israel to assume that they, and only they, have the right to nuclear arms in the Middle East. I always have to laugh when

Hey, maybe the Israelis are imitating the moderators (on certain fora): Warn, then out!

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 26 November 2003 11:27 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smith:
Well, they might, but they aren't the only two countries out there. I expect what's more likely is a little like Cold War II, with Russia (or somebody) propping up Iran and the USA buying weapons for Israel.
The U.S. has been doing their part for decades now. There is definetely a regional imbalance, and as long as this status quo remains, Israel (As Always) will never be interested in true peace.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 26 November 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Patriot:
The U.S. has been doing their part for decades now. There is definetely a regional imbalance, and as long as this status quo remains, Israel (As Always) will never be interested in true peace.
BP this is such rubbish. To claim Israel would never want true peace is to paint a picture of evil. After all only demons want war death and destruction.

And you wonder why some here get exasperated at the way people like BP treat Israel?

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 26 November 2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, but BP, many of the countries surrounding Israel were armed by the Soviet Union. Israel has been only one proxy state of many used by the world's superpowers.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca