babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israel sends bad cheque to peace activist shot by IDF

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israel sends bad cheque to peace activist shot by IDF
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 21 November 2003 01:46 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
Israel sends bad check to peace activist shot by IDF

quote:
By Arnon Regular, Haaretz Correspondent

A Defense Ministry check, sent "without any
admission of liability by the State of Israel
and/or the Ministry of Defense" to the family of an International Solidarity Mission volunteer shot byan Israel Defense Forces soldier, bounced when the family tried to cash it earlier this week. The ISM volunteer was rendered incapacitated as a result of the gunshot wounds sustained last April.

The check for 8,370 pounds was sent to the family of Tom Hurndall, who was seriously wounded after being shot in the head by a soldier in the Rafah refugee camp. His
family spent 17,000 pounds to take him home, and he has been hospitalized and connected to life-support machines ever since. A British court is slated to decide if he can be disconnected from the machinery, since his condition is irreversible.

--- snip ---

Family spokesman Carl Arndale said, "It is
impossible to describe the anguish felt by the
family after the incident with the check, an
incident that is only comparable to the
behavior of the Israeli government ever since
Tom was injured."

Don't go spendin' it all in one place now...

[ 21 November 2003: Message edited by: evenflow ]

[ 21 November 2003: Message edited by: audra estrones ]

From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 21 November 2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is sad. Technical reason's my a**. Is it possible that a government issued check could bounce? Just imagine a Canadian poggy check bouncing. The only thing I could see is that they put a stop on that particular check. I'm sure there's a very good excuse for this! Where's our apologists?
From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 21 November 2003 02:08 PM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
Wow, hopefully they will lose their credit rating. Would it not be great if no one would want to deal with them anymore. No bullets and bombs and check-point soldiers on strike. I guess one can always dream about the possibilities.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 21 November 2003 02:54 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I've never heard of a government check bouncing. Ever. Governments may be slow, or whatever, but they're always good for their money.

The only time a gummint check ever doesn't go through is because someone put a stop payment on it.

If the Israeli government hoped to get in a last cheap shot, they sure managed to win on that score. However, I think such an action is the epitome of bad taste.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 November 2003 11:02 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't remember in which thread this issue (the IOF claiming it had film evidence to show that its Apache helicopters killed nobody in a Gaza airstrike afew weeks ago) was raised before, but I'll bring it up here, just because the cheque bouncing story is mentioned in the following link:

Israel Admits it Lied Over Missile Raid

quote:
The military refuses to identify the weapon used, on the grounds of "operational security". But the speculation is that it was an American-made Flechette, which is illegal under international law because it fires thousands of tiny darts over hundreds of meters, causing horrific injuries. Israel has used similar weapons in Gaza in the past....

Evidence from the attack scene indicated that the second missile exploded in the air, not on impact, suggesting an intention to cause casualties in a wide area instead of just destroying the vehicle.

Why not just use poison gas? It would be more humane.

[ 21 November 2003: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 22 November 2003 12:46 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Army 'erred'

Israeli journalist Shlomi Eldar who visited the scene the day after the attack said residents told him at least one of the munitions was unusual.

"First, it exploded in the air, also it dispersed to great distances," he quoted witnesses as saying.

After Mr Sarid threatened to unveil "confidential information" about the air strike, the Israeli military acknowledged it had not provided a full account.

Army chief Lieutenant General Moshe Yaalon said: "Perhaps, due to the operational and security sensitivity of the matter at hand, we erred in the way we chose to define the operational means we used."

He said there had been no intention to provide misleading information.

You see, it wasn't a "lie" but rather an "error."

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 November 2003 01:01 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
More like they "erred" in using the "operational means" they used.
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 22 November 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A Flechette. In one of the most densely-populated places on Earth. Jesus.

So much for "targeted killings".

Why don't they just go whole hog and drop one of their nukes on Gaza? That'd take care of dem ter'rists, wouldn't it?

Excuse me while I go puke.

[ 22 November 2003: Message edited by: beluga2 ]

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca