babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Open Letter To GIs In Iraq From Vietnam Vet Stan Goff

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Open Letter To GIs In Iraq From Vietnam Vet Stan Goff
Mick
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2753

posted 18 November 2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Mick        Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Open Letter To GIs In Iraq From Vietnam Vet Stan Goff"

Dear American serviceperson in Iraq,

I am a retired veteran of the army, and my own son is among you, a paratrooper like I was. The changes that are happening to every one of you —some more extreme than others—are changes I know very well. So I'm going to say some things to you straight up in the language to which you are accustomed.

In 1970, I was assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade, then based in northern Binh Dinh Province in what was then the Republic of Vietnam. When I went there, I had my head full of s**t: s**t from the news media, s**t from movies, s**t about what it supposedly mean to be a man, and s**t from a lot of my know-nothing neighbors who would tell you plenty about Vietnam even though they'd never been there, or to war at all.

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 18 November 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Powerful stuff.

Reading that made me feel better, having recently run afoul of FD's resident Vietnam-vet-turned-hateful-drooling-gibberer.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca