babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Facility 1391: Israel's secret prison

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Facility 1391: Israel's secret prison
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 14 November 2003 05:05 AM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The Guardian, Nov 14

quote:
Facility 1391 has been airbrushed from Israeli aerial photographs and purged from modern maps. Where once a police station was marked there is now a blank space. Sometimes even the road leading to it has been erased. But Israel's secret prison, inside an army intelligence base close to the main road between Hadera and Afula in northern Israel, is real enough. For 20 years or more it has been housed in a large, imposing, single-storey building designed by a British engineer, Sir Charles Taggart, during the 1930s as one of a series of garrison forts designed to contain growing unrest in Palestine. Today, the thick concrete walls and iron gates are themselves protected by a double fence overseen by watchtowers and patrolled by attack dogs.

"Our main conclusion is that it exists to make torture possible - a particular kind of torture that creates progressive states of dread, dependency, debility," says Manal Hazzan, a human rights lawyer who helped expose the prison's existence. "The law gives the army enough authority already to hide prisoners, so why do they need a secret facility?"

Unlike any other Israeli prison, the International Red Cross, lawyers and members of the Israeli parliament have been refused access.

It is not just human rights lawyers and leftwing MPs who have a problem. Ami Ayalon is a former head of Israel's intelligence service, the Shin Bet. He was told about 1391 but says he refused to have anything to do with it.

"I knew there was a facility not under the responsibility of the Shin Bet, but under the responsibility of the military. I didn't think then, and I don't think today, that such an institution should exist in a democracy," he says.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 January 2004 08:10 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Prominent Hizb Allah detainee Mustafa Dirani says his Israeli interrogators sexually assaulted him, humiliated and systematically tortured him in a futile attempt to get information about a missing Israeli airman.

quote:
The interrogators alternately splashed him with hot and freezing water, shook him until he fainted, squeezed his testicles, sodomised him and sexually assaulted him with a stick, he said.

"I would pray that I'd die," said Dirani.

Just another day of due process in the Middle East's favourite democracy.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 January 2004 08:21 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Doesn't sound all that different from what happened in Nazi and Soviet interrogation chambers.

Or, for that matter, what Latin American torture experts learned in the School of the Americas.

[ 27 January 2004: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 27 January 2004 10:26 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I certainly hope that if I ever need to be tortured in the name of protecting democracy that they send me to Syria and not Israel
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca