babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Terrorist olive trees?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrorist olive trees?
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 09 November 2003 10:42 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"The brutality with which the settlers from the
Yizhar hills took over the lands of the Inbus
villagers is only one example of the violent
actions that the state of Israel has carried
out in the Palestinian territories since 1967.
In Palestinian eyes, the establishment of the
"legal" settlements is rape, and the growth of
"illegal" outposts is aggression, and so is the
invasion of the Inbus olives groves by
individual settlers.

That is true with regard to the individual cases
of destruction wrought by the settlers: they
are a reflection of the institutionalized
attack by the state on the rights of the
Palestinians."

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/358478.html

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 November 2003 11:10 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The settlers are not even stealing the trees -- they are cutting them down. Pure destruction.
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 09 November 2003 04:29 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Anyone who watches television knows those types who live on the hills. Those peculiar bullies, raging as they spit out their personal
manifestos, go wild in their confrontations
with soldiers and police. Ordinarily they do
not speak, but rather shout their expressions
with an air of superiority, waving clubs and
sowing terror around them. They are the cup of
venom of the settlement movement. In theory,
they are an exception, from which the Yesha
mainstream demurs; in practice, they are the
very embodiment of the entire settler idea.

Good God. Why does the Israeli military not crack down harder on these people?

Would Israel or the PA tolerate a stronger UN presence in these territories? It seems to me that the Israeli military is not capable of handling this situation on its own - of protecting its own people or the Palestinians.

Of course, accepting UN help would probably require dismantling the Jewish-only settlements or opening them to Arab use as well, which wouldn't be a popular move.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 09 November 2003 05:48 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smith:

Good God. Why does the Israeli military not crack down harder on these people?

Would Israel or the PA tolerate a stronger UN presence in these territories? It seems to me that the Israeli military is not capable of handling this situation on its own - of protecting its own people or the Palestinians.

Of course, accepting UN help would probably require dismantling the Jewish-only settlements or opening them to Arab use as well, which wouldn't be a popular move.

The don't crack down because they are complicit in the crime.

The Palestinians have been asking for UN intervention for years. Every attempt is a known non-starter due to the American veto. As for how the IDF deals with settlements/settlers, Uri Avnery discusses that HERE.

I will add that my experience watching the IDF operate and that of many others I know confirms his description, found about 3/4 of the way down the page.

[ 09 November 2003: Message edited by: Courage ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 November 2003 06:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Courage, I couldn't finish reading this, your link to Uri Avnery's devastating article.

The young people who are being sacrificed, on both sides ... Och, if this keeps up, what is left but sackcloth and ashes?

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 09 November 2003 06:23 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Courage, I couldn't finish reading this, your link to Uri Avnery's devastating article.

The young people who are being sacrificed, on both sides ... Och, if this keeps up, what is left but sackcloth and ashes?

Don't worry, skdadl, it'll all seems brighter if you just tell yourself it's self-defense and that we are winning the war on terrorism...

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca