babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Could someone please detail the recommendations of the palestinian peace movement

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Could someone please detail the recommendations of the palestinian peace movement
EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 29 October 2003 05:13 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'd love to hear what the constructive movements towards peacefull coexistance of Israelis and palestinians would be from the perspective of palestinians.

Please don't pull out the PA and Hammas charters that I'd been shown that calls for the total destruction of a non-islamic state.

Too many of my Jewish friends keep pointing to those charters as the blueprints of the Arab views of settlement. Something, they see, as akin to Mein Kampf.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 29 October 2003 05:36 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the link I provided for you earlier, Emgee:

(That's http://www.palestinepeace.org/about/about.html if you've forgotten from, you know, half an hour ago )

quote:
The PPC was officially founded in January 14, 2002 and is committed to the following main principles:

* Separation in a two-state solution based on ending the occupation according to the 1967 borders.
* The city of Jerusalem as the capital of two states, Palestine and Israel.
* A just resolution for the Palestinian refugees.

Please take particular note of their "End Violence Now" statement: http://www.palestinepeace.org/statements/stat3.html

That is, of course, only one of the Palestinian peace movements. The so-called Geneva agreement between leading Palestinian and Israeli moderates contains a more specific and programmatic approach. Here's a news story about those negotiations, since you seem to have missed it.

Now, would you please actually bother reading through those links before demonstrating again your ignorance of their contents? Thank you.

[ 29 October 2003: Message edited by: April Follies ]

From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 29 October 2003 07:10 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Geneva agreement was not between anybody more than you and I.

IF you and I came to an agreement about the resolution of the mid east problems would that be binding on either warring party? I think not.

Too bad though because I'll bet dollars to Atkins muffins that you and I have a better chance at coming to an agreement than those guys over there.

Hey, we could then "negotiate" the North Korean crisis and who knows what else.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll bet I get this reading all done and then my ignorance will fade away. But for now how about helping me out by taking my questions seriously.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 29 October 2003 07:18 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If you're not prepared to read the links you've been provided, it seems to me you're not taking your own question seriously. So why should anyone else?
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 29 October 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMGEE:
[QB]I'd love to hear what the constructive movements towards peacefull coexistance of Israelis and palestinians would be from the perspective of palestinians.

For starters, the IDF would go home and stop bothering the Palestinians. Then, the settlements could be dismantled.

EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 29 October 2003 08:40 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Okay, but why can't the settlements stay? I don't see the Israelis demanding that all Arabs living in Israel leave after the two state peace plan comes into effect.

What is it about these settlements that makes the Palestinians so angry? Were Palestinian cities destroyed or taken over to build these settlements?

Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 29 October 2003 08:49 PM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Okay, but why can't the settlements stay? I don't see the Israelis demanding that all Arabs living in Israel leave after the two state peace plan comes into effect.

What is it about these settlements that makes the Palestinians so angry? Were Palestinian cities destroyed or taken over to build these settlements?

The question isn't about the settlements, but who would have sovereignty over them.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 October 2003 08:58 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Dunce cap for the year award for utterly refusing to see the forest for the trees.

Hint: You should look up things like "bypass roads" and "access to water".

These things may help reveal the blindingly obvious.

quote:
Please don't pull out the PA and Hammas charters that I'd been shown that calls for the total destruction of a non-islamic state.

Maybe you really do need to bring yourself up-to-date, since you again managed to miss the blindingly obvious.

Welcome to last week, because the PLO amended its Charter to take out the part about the destruction of Israel.

[ 29 October 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 30 October 2003 12:41 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
(That's http://www.palestinepeace.org/about/about.html if you've forgotten from, you know, half an hour ago )

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The PPC was officially founded in January 14, 2002 and is committed to the following main principles:
* Separation in a two-state solution based on ending the occupation according to the 1967 borders.
* The city of Jerusalem as the capital of two states, Palestine and Israel.
* A just resolution for the Palestinian refugees.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take particular note of their "End Violence Now" statement: http://www.palestinepeace.org/statements/stat3.html

This is fanastic this is real progress but how come they have only had some 200 and some hits since march? how come there aren't more sights like this?

Saddly this is really the first time I've seen the palestians admiting they need to take some responsiblity especially in regards to changing the educational system. anyways it's inspiring and hopeful and I do believe that the majority realize that there has to be some sort of compromise along these lines just like the "Geneva accords" Only when both sides recognize eachother ligitmit rights and understand where they have to take responsiblity can we move forward.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 30 October 2003 01:22 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I can't believe anyone would write something like this. The whole of the Occupied Territories is chewed up and thousands of people dispossessed to accomodate these illegal settlements, and someone can ask, "What makes the Palestinians so angry?"

Despite the loathsome propaganda spewed out by the likes of netanhayu.com, Jews didn't move to Palestine and occupy a void. People lived there already. They had towns, cities and farms, and they were driven out, and continue to be driven out, by violent invaders.

Moshe Dayan said in the mid-1970s that every Israeli town once had Arab occupants and an Arab name. It was too bad for the Arabs, but the Israelis were stronger and so pushed them out.

quote:
"Why should the Arabs make peace? If I was an Arab leader, I would never make terms with Israel. That is natural: we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs, We come from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing: we came here and stole their country. Why should they accept that?" David Ben-Gurion, quoted in "The Jewish Paradox" by Nathan Goldman, former president of the World Jewish Congress.

"Before [the Palestinians] very eyes we are possessing the land and the villages where they, and their ancestors, have lived...We are the generation of colonizers, and without the steel helmet and the gun barrel we cannot plant a tree and build a home." Israeli leader Moshe Dayan, quoted in Benjamin Beit-Hallahmi, "Original Sins: Reflections on the History of Zionism and Israel"

Such honesty seems to be sorely lacking among today's Zionists.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 30 October 2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm....EarthShadow, EMGEE, and now Justice has come out of the woodwork for the first time in months...such diversity here at Babble.
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 30 October 2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Hmmm....EarthShadow, EMGEE, and now Justice has come out of the woodwork for the first time in months...such diversity here at Babble.

why do you have to ruin a good thing by your concpiracy theories? Can't you just take the intative for what it is?

This is what I've always believed in and been saying for your years I can admit to the wrong doings of the Israeli's but to you the palestinians can do wrong.

Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 30 October 2003 01:45 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
and believe it or not they quoted my uncle and I support a hundred percent what he says here and he is a zionist who believes in 2 state solution that israel and palestine both have a right to exist. How many times have you seen palestinians openly criticizing their own goverment in such away

Michel Ben-Yair, Attorney General of Israel 1993-1996

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 30 October 2003 10:30 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
quote:

why do you have to ruin a good thing by your concpiracy theories? Can't you just take the intative for what it is?

This is what I've always believed in and been saying for your years I can admit to the wrong doings of the Israeli's but to you the palestinians can do wrong.

I thought it was a funny comment at first, but it appears Courage has struck a nerve...

From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 30 October 2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"come out of the woodwork" doesn't seem to have funny tone to me but if you say fine as long as we can all agree that actually this statements of principles are good. Especially since it's about time people start looking at themselves and critiquing themselves instead of only one side or the other.
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 30 October 2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Ahhh...I see the screw-up fairy has visited us again...

Displacement of Palestinians for the superior Jewish race (That is the mind set they have). Apartheid between the First Class Settlers, and the unworthy Palestinians.

I find it fascinating that you have Jewish friends and have been fed their bigotry/ignorance/lies and you come and regurgitate it here. But that's OK, I respect your questions and it shows that you seek another point of view. By all means you should have done this a long time ago, becasue your mind set would not allow for peace as you seem to accept the occupation and settlements of Palestinian lands. It will be a little harder for you to see what is actually going on. Fully understand the fundamentals of Human Rights. Fully Understand what violation of U.N. Charters mean. Fully Understand violations of the Geneva Conventions, such as illegal acts of war.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 30 October 2003 02:09 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We keep talking about "occupied territory" like the "dispute" has already been resolved.

Does ANYBODY have anything but someone elses opinion to verify just who's land this REALLY is.

I was told about this site from a friend in class and asked to come on to LEARN about both sides but all I'm seeing is both side with opinions and easily discredited "facts". Everyone here is talking the talk of an arm chair politician but honestly I'm just hearing hot air hissing!!!

I'll admit that I haven't got the book knowledge that some of you are displaying but I take great offence to jerk-offs like Dr.Conway calling me names!!!! My bullshit opinion is probably at least as correct as his bullshit opinion but why do I get lambasted when I "side" with the Israeli point of view only?

Anyway, a problem that I see here is the same problem that brought me to this site... fully biased information.

I got fed up hearing about illeagal occupation from my Arab friends and legal possession from my Jewish friend.

I just wanted different opinions based on fact.

The fact is that no one here is showing me that Israel is controlling that land in an illeagal manner.

Just calling something illeagal, no matter how many call it illeagal nor how loud it is called that will make it illeagal. Or will it????

So, what is illeagal about Israel contolling the land that I see as in "dispute"???

And as to the settlements, again, why do they need to be dismantled?? Why can't the settlers stay in the same way that the Arabs live in Israel?

Or is it that Israel is going to demand that all Arab houses and villages in Israel be dismantled when the two states are divided?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 October 2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Does ANYBODY have anything but someone elses opinion to verify just who's land this REALLY is.

Uh, what?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 30 October 2003 02:27 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Fully understand the fundamentals of Human Rights. Fully Understand what violation of U.N. Charters mean. Fully Understand violations of the Geneva Conventions, such as illegal acts of war.

Ha! Yar kiddin' no!

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 30 October 2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I got fed up hearing about illeagal occupation from my Arab friends and legal possession from my Jewish friend.
I can see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t.
quote:
Or is it that Israel is going to demand that all Arab houses and villages in Israel be dismantled when the two states are divided?

If you think that the settlers should be able to live like the Arabs in Israel, then you clearly need to believe in a one state solution. I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

BTW, Can you tell us how the Palestinians ended up in this territory, that is being surrounded by a fence and several check points?

[ 30 October 2003: Message edited by: Blind_Patriot ]

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 30 October 2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For the record even Ariel Sharon has referred to the territories as "occupied".
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 30 October 2003 03:45 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Patriot:
Fully understand the fundamentals of Human Rights. Fully Understand what violation of U.N. Charters mean. Fully Understand violations of the Geneva Conventions, such as illegal acts of war.

That sounds like a LOT of reading and studying....

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 30 October 2003 04:20 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
For the record even Ariel Sharon has referred to the territories as "occupied".

You know what??... I AM A CANADIAN! I don't give a rat's ass what that man called the territory and under what context he referred to it as "occupied".

I still believe that the land is in "dispute" but that the reality is that Israel had the land biblically, AND they have the land today. History AND possession!!!! That's a pretty powerful statement that lends credance to their side of the "dispute".

I think that what I see here on this site is that way more posters are taking the viewpoint that even though Israel hold the credentials AND the land, that the land is Arab just because they say it is (or WAS!)

I also don't think that those two people will EVER be able to actually share a land together.

You know the more I read here the more I agree with the wall! It actually proves that the Israeli government wants to give A land to the "Palestinians" but that the "Palestinians aren't happy with even that!

To the Israelis the wall keeps out the bombers. Why can't the Palestinians look at the wall as something that will keep the Israelis OUT???

If I was a "Palestinian" I'd be working on MY side of the wall to get that sucker built as fast as possible!

But I guess in the opinion of a lot of people on this site... I'm just "a stupid Canadian who dosen't understand!!!"

I may be Canadian but I am far from stupid and I still can't understand how Israel "appears" to be so right and yet just about everyone here (We are all Canadians aren't we???) seems to be turning truths on their heads and supporting a side that represents all that is evil to freedom and democracy and respect for each other.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 30 October 2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I may be Canadian but I am far from stupid and I still can't understand how Israel "appears" to be so right and yet just about everyone here (We are all Canadians aren't we???) seems to be turning truths on their heads and supporting a side that represents all that is evil to freedom and democracy and respect for each other.
This is utterly anti-Arab. Can you please book a one way ticket to the U.S.A. and never come back to Canada. You don't even hold a single Canadian value. If I could I would strip you of your citizenship. Your Neo-Con attitude is was caught via a virus while you were sucking on Paul Wolfowitz hemroids. It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 30 October 2003 04:36 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You're upset, aren't you, EMGEE.

Why are you so upset? If you are, like most of us here, a Canadian, then why are you so intent on arguing a "might makes right" argument on behalf of another country?

It is obviously true that the vast majority of babblers are not happy with the logic of might makes right. You can see that -- and it upsets you.

Why would that upset any Canadian?

Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 30 October 2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I was told about this site from a friend in class and asked to come on to LEARN about both sides but all I'm seeing is both side with opinions and easily discredited "facts". Everyone here is talking the talk of an arm chair politician but honestly I'm just hearing hot air hissing!!!

You are obviously new to discussion boards or fora. Were you really born in 1968? In any case, you don't get exactly what you appear to be looking for from internet discussions...you have to do a lot of other work besides (I believe someone mentionned reading and studying...?). Also, please be aware that not everyone who is on Babble participates in Middle East discussions...I personally don't, because I did it for 20 years, and nothing has changed. A better way for you might be to read an article (...one from a reasonnably trustworthy source) post it here, and invite discussion if you are unclear or unconfortable with something. Coming here and expecting ready-made and irrefutable answers is futile.

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 30 October 2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I still believe that the land is in "dispute" but that the reality is that Israel had the land biblically, AND they have the land today.

So what? What authority does the Bible have as a legal or historical document? As much of what is claimed in there has been shown to be fairy tales as that which has been born out by archeology. Either way, that's a morass from whence there is no return. Moreover, even if the Bible were a reliable historical account, the authority of the Bible as a real estate contract purportedly rests on the Word of G-D contained in it. Do you have privy knowledge of the mind of the High Contracting Party - i.e. G-D? Perhaps we can conjour forth this G-D by some spell -- err...prayer -- or other and get It's opinion?

AND, even if we do accept the Bible as a relevent document, is it not abundantly clear that the Hebrews gained the territory by ethnic cleansing of the Canaanites, at G-D's behest, of course? Doesn't that then present us with the problem of distinguishing just who the surviving ancestors of the Canaanites are? And where did the Canaanites come from? And where did...well, then you enter the problem of origins, and that's no way to solve this kind of dispute.
You just can't anywhere with that kind of argument.

Second, if we look at the present situation and think about 'possession', we are immediately struck by the fact that there was a massive 'dispossession' of Palestinians in 1948 carried out in full knowledge of the Haganah and irregular Jewish forces.

And, that leaves us back where we started...

But, 'Round the Mulberry Bush' seems to be a favoured game where you're from.

[ 30 October 2003: Message edited by: Courage ]

EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 30 October 2003 05:31 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't beluieve that might makes right, if it did, the Palestinians would be in control since their might backed by the lack of caring who they kill is far greater than the might of Israel which seems to be fighting this fight with both hands and a foot tied behind their backs.
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 30 October 2003 05:33 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I don't beluieve that might makes right, if it did, the Palestinians would be in control since their might backed by the lack of caring who they kill is far greater than the might of Israel which seems to be fighting this fight with both hands and a foot tied behind their backs.

Absolutely. That's why there are about 1,500 dead Palestinians to 500 dead Israelis so far.

... why am I even bothering with this punctuation-abusing git? ...

From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 30 October 2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
'Tis the season for trolls and goblins, afterall.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 30 October 2003 06:07 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Time to chill a bottle of plonque it seems.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 30 October 2003 06:12 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Absoulutely right Al'Q.

Given the weather here in Calgary, I think I am going to have a warm summer evening fantasy. Some cheese, lightly salted crackers, slices of granny smith apples, cold salmon slices (not smoked), and a 2000 Freemark Abbey Viognier.

I also have a few '97 Barolo's just waiting for that perfect moment.

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 30 October 2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

EMCEE, you're new here, so here's a friendly word of advice. By signing up, you agreed to abide by the babble policy, and saying that Palestinians represent all that is evil to freedom and democracy is definitely NOT allowed. So consider this a warning.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 30 October 2003 09:44 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I still can't understand how Israel "appears" to be so right and yet just about everyone here (We are all Canadians aren't we???) seems to be turning truths on their heads and supporting a side that represents all that is evil to freedom and democracy and respect for each other.

Well, you clearly don't want to learn, so *plonk*

I could use a nice slice of Brie right now, maybe some of those table water crackers...and some Sauvignon Blanc...

[ 30 October 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 31 October 2003 12:03 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm not crazy about soft fromages, like Brie and Camembert. They stick to my teeth and gums. I like the slightly firmer cheeses such as Chaumes.

As for vin blanc, I'm afraid that "my" regional wine, Muscadet, is too acidic for my taste. The warm reds of Dordogne, though.....mmmmm.

Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 31 October 2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Only in the last two or three years have I started developing a taste for wines. I mean 'taste' in the most casual of ways, I couldn't tell a plonk from a 300$ bottle if my life depended on it.

I used to be just a beer and girl-drink-girl (not in the same sitting of course!!). For the last eight years, my BF has had an annual girl-drink party, where we invite some friends gather the right ingredients and tools (a strong blender to crush ice is a must) and make up our own recipes and taste test the results. It sounds like it's a recipe for hangover hell but really it's been quite successful.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 31 October 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I couldn't tell a plonk from a 300$ bottle if my life depended on it.

I hear ya, Sara. I've always felt a bit sheepish when visiting folks in France. In honour of the guest from overseas, they'd haul out some dusty old bottle from the cave, get me to try it, and ask what I thought. As my taste buds have been ravaged by my Chateau Garbage Pail Ale, I'd tell them that I knew nothing about wines and couldn't tell the difference.

They never acted offended. They may have thought me strange, though, or perhaps just a savage, as everyone you meet over there (even people who don't drink) seems quite knowledgeable about wines.

I think dianal could use a snort or two.

[ 31 October 2003: Message edited by: al-Qa'bong ]

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 31 October 2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My parents are pretty big oenophiles. Having been taking sips ever since I could be trusted to hold a glass, I can tell the difference between plonk and decent wine, but I can't tell the difference between decent wine and excellent wine, and I can't detect all the flavours other people can - chocolate and vanilla and persimmon and all that stuff people go on about in the Wine Spectator.

I find quality makes more of a difference with reds. A well-aged Amarone is a thing of beauty. True plonk, however, is invariably red, because bad white wine is just very boring, not horrible.

(Of course, I also like fruit-flavoured "white Zinfandel." I just don't refer to it as "wine.")

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 31 October 2003 07:19 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The dianal thread is closed. As it is linked here, I think this is the place to add:

*snicker*

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 31 October 2003 09:55 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wow.

Re the dianal-who-asked-to-be-unregistered thread, just call me skdadl-who-does-not-understand.

Re EMGEE: Yeah.

EMGEE
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4601

posted 31 October 2003 02:28 PM      Profile for EMGEE     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Whine, yeah there's a lot of it here! Cheese, Sara try using Masengal (sp) it should clear up your problem in no time!

Thanks for being so informative guys and gals!

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 31 October 2003 02:34 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Whine, yeah there's a lot of it here! Cheese, Sara try using Masengal (sp) it should clear up your problem in no time!

Has anyone told you today that your an asshole? If not, let me be the first.

Can you ban this troll now?

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 31 October 2003 02:46 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
At the Calgary Wine Festival last year, I discovered wines from the Republic of Georgia. If there are any Port lovers out there or just people who enjoy a sweet red, I recommend trying some. It was a unique and distinct drink that has lasted with me. I picked up a case of Khvanchkara (the personal choice of Josef Stalin) and it went like hotcakes.
From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 31 October 2003 03:03 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yep.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca