babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israeli Terrorists Blow Up 3 Buildings

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israeli Terrorists Blow Up 3 Buildings
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 26 October 2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good grief, these Israeli terrorists just don't know when to stop.
quote:
Israeli forces retaliated Sunday for a deadly attack by militants on a nearby Jewish settlement, blowing up three large, empty buildings in Gaza after ordering 2,000 Palestinians from their homes.
Israeli are the Pro's at eviction. That's over 55 years of experience in evicting people from homes
quote:
: "I can see dozens of people from the building leaving, mostly on foot. We don't know where to go."
Mishei has a spare room for ya laddy.

CBC

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 26 October 2003 09:05 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

From babble's Policy Statement:
quote:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this discussion board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory.

Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 26 October 2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
Maybe they are running out of agregate for their 'WALL' to keep the Palisinians out of Palistine.
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidB-D:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this discussion board to post any material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory.
Hmmm really? Now me what was defamatory about my post. Geez, can't anyone talk about terrorism anymore. Or is that only reserved for a specfic race, nationality or religion?

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 08:29 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Patriot:
Hmmm really? Now me what was defamatory about my post. Geez, can't anyone talk about terrorism anymore. Or is that only reserved for a specfic race, nationality or religion?
Now that offensive innuendo is understood here all too well. What specific
quote:
race, nationality or religion
could you be referring to?

No, you are too much of a coward to actually show your bigotry aren't you?

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 27 October 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From babble's Policy Statement:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first I thought David B must have misread what was written here but then I realized that it seems that in David B 's world, Palestinian extremists are terrorists and Israeli extremists are 'freedom fighters' or something similar. Perhaps a moderator should step in to resolve this one.

From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 09:57 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I also have searched and searched BP's opening quote and can find nothing defamatory in it.

There's some broad sarcasm, but calling the IDF terrorist when they are clearly violating international law does not seem defamatory to me.

Terrorist is kind of a stupid word anyway, but sauce for the goose, you know ...

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 09:58 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
No, you are too much of a coward to actually show your bigotry aren't you?

Look Who Talking What is so bigoted about my statement?? All I'm doing is showing babblers other forms of Criminal Terrorism. In this case it is the IOF/IDF. Not just National Post / CNN Sterotype of a terrorist. Just because the IDF wears a uniform, doesn't make them any less murderers or terrorists. So why you accusing me of bigotry?

BTW if anyone is a coward, it is you, for not facing or confronting a healthy debate and always on a smear campaign of false accusations and diversions.

Mori
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4594

posted 27 October 2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Mori     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Terrorism against concrete????

Hammas and their bloodthirsty ilk would blow up the buildings WITH MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THEM!!!!... Now That's terrorism!!!!!

Palestinians kept out of Palestine???

Get off the friggen boat!!! When was there EVER a Palestine??? Who was their last leader? Who was their first?

That land has changed hands so many times and the few people that were there (read Mark Twain's account of his journey there!) never owned the property (held title) nor were they EVER in charge of their own destinies.

Of the land that you wish to refer to as "Palestine" under Ottoman rule, 80% was handed over to form Jordan. When Jordan had the "West Bank" up until 1967 was there EVER a discussion of a "Palestinian State"????

Most of you are being played as dupes and your liberal mindedness has been so askewed by these "victim" "palestinians" that the real essence of liberalism... FREEDOM, EQUALITY, DIGNITY FOR ALL, has escaped you and you are being worked for your teary eyed boo hooing of a people who, by their own polls, have shown support of suicide bombing to a tune of just under 80%!!!!! These are a people who teach their children that the "enemy" is not human, but Jewish!!!! and must be killed!!!!

Great way to raise children to today's modern world!

We in the west have a natural affinity to protecting the weak, defending the wronged... well in this case the weak and wronged is Israel but it is in the world courts, not on the streets where IF Israel was weak, Israel would be non-existant and the Hammas aim of genocide JUST READ THEIR FRIGGEN CHARTER!!!) would be fact!

So stiop this ruddy stupidity already and accept the fact that what we SHOULD be fighting for is democracy, freedom for all, equality for all... all concepts that those who you are obviously supporting here would take away from YOU the way they have never given it to their OWN!!!

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 October 2003 10:56 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
May I refer you to this lonesome thread?
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 11:02 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
That is a generous and creative tactic, al-Q. But I still think we have a problem.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 October 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
al, I really liked Mr Khouri's article about the creativity and thirst for knowledge developed by the Palestinians and the Jews as a form of resistance to oppression, and forwarded it to people. But I had no idea what to respond to it - too bad it remained lonely ...
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 27 October 2003 11:36 AM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
But I still think we have a problem.

Indeed we do:
quote:
calling the IDF terrorist when they are clearly violating international law does not seem defamatory to me.

"Clearly violating international law." skdadl must be an expert in international law, otherwise she would not have been so emphatic; therefore, I shall not dispute her expertise. I'll merely state that the IDF is not a terrorist organization and it is doing its job.

Oh, just an aside: How many armed forces in the civilized world notify their enemies' families to clear out of an intended target area before striking? Name just one! Beside the IDF, that is.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 11:42 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Honey, if you're planning to bulldoze my house, I am really not gonna care a lot whether you're giving me notice or not. I am going to hate your guts for bulldozing my house. Capice?

And then you'll be dealing with the cats as well. Philibert, especially: be afraid. Be very afraid.

"Collective punishment" is a clear violation of the Geneva conventions. Read this a.m.'s Grope and Flail. I'm not the expert: I simply refer you to the experts.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 11:45 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Look Who Talking What is so bigoted about my statement?? All I'm doing is showing babblers other forms of Criminal Terrorism. In this case it is the IOF/IDF. Not just National Post / CNN Sterotype of a terrorist. Just because the IDF wears a uniform, doesn't make them any less murderers or terrorists. So why you accusing me of bigotry?

BTW if anyone is a coward, it is you, for not facing or confronting a healthy debate and always on a smear campaign of false accusations and diversions.

Yes I know you hate it when you are confronted with your own bigotry but for the record and in order to sidestep you obfuscation here is what you said in reference to issues dealing with identifying terrorism you wondered if terrorism was

quote:
only reserved for a specfic race, nationality or religion?

Those in the anti-racist community understand this as a code phrase usually referring to the "Jooze". Now is that what you meant BP?

[ 27 October 2003: Message edited by: Mishei ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 October 2003 11:59 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar Dr. Mish.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

True, but not in this case Al.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mori:
Terrorism against concrete????

Hammas and their bloodthirsty ilk would blow up the buildings WITH MEN WOMEN AND CHILDREN IN THEM!!!!... Now That's terrorism!!!!!

You obviously have no idea the different forms of TERROR do you.
quote:

Palestinians kept out of Palestine???

Get off the friggen boat!!! When was there EVER a Palestine??? Who was their last leader? Who was their first?

This is not Monopoly

If you look close, they even have Hebrew on it. Hmmm, what a peaceful and respectable idea.
quote:

That land has changed hands so many times and the few people that were there (read Mark Twain's account of his journey there!) never owned the property (held title) nor were they EVER in charge of their own destinies.

You can read all the rubbish you want, however it doesn't change the FACT that these people have been here for thousands of years. Are you telling me that they just showed up? Have some respect for these people who've lived there.
quote:

Of the land that you wish to refer to as "Palestine" under Ottoman rule, 80% was handed over to form Jordan. When Jordan had the "West Bank" up until 1967 was there EVER a discussion of a "Palestinian State"????

The Palestinians are a people (Sorry to disappoint you, but they are) Who the !@#$% are you to decide if they deserve a homeland or not. They have lived in the territory for many many genereations. Get it through your thick skull.
quote:

Most of you are being played as dupes and your liberal mindedness has been so askewed by these "victim" "palestinians" that the real essence of liberalism... FREEDOM, EQUALITY, DIGNITY FOR ALL, has escaped you and you are being worked for your teary eyed boo hooing of a people who, by their own polls, have shown support of suicide bombing to a tune of just under 80%!!!!! These are a people who teach their children that the "enemy" is not human, but Jewish!!!! and must be killed!!!!

It seems more like someone has played you as a dupe, to be talking this hyperbole. Better a FREEDOM, EQUALITY, DIGNITY FOR ALL L O V E R, then a racist bigot like you. I hate suicide bombings on civilians and I hate IDF/IOF strikes on civilians, both are terrorism. Although aplorabe, the support for suicide bombings is somewhat understandble on the Palestinians part. They have no option. They think of thier enemy as not Human you say. Maybe if the Israelis treated them with respect and not as sub-humans themselves who are surrounded by a BIGot wall. As for the teachings to their children, well the Israeli's aren't doing any better. The enemy (as u call it) is bred.
quote:

We in the west have a natural affinity to protecting the weak, defending the wronged... well in this case the weak and wronged is Israel but it is in the world courts, not on the streets where IF Israel was weak, Israel would be non-existant and the Hammas aim of genocide JUST READ THEIR FRIGGEN CHARTER!!!) would be fact!

Who's we? We is the west have a responsibility to treat all nations fairly and spread peace to the world. We can make peace with North Korea and Go to war in Iraq and let the Israelis and Palestinians kill each other. Your arguement is meaningless if the West wasn't so selective in choosing it's battles.
quote:
So stiop this ruddy stupidity already and accept the fact that what we SHOULD be fighting for is democracy, freedom for all, equality for all... all concepts that those who you are obviously supporting here would take away from YOU the way they have never given it to their OWN!!!
What are you smoking? I don't think that anyone is out to take our freedoms or democracy away. your Ignorance is evident, for which you are regurgitating Bush's fear propoganda. U.S.A. was never under threat from Iraq. Hammas are not threatening to take away what we have. Israel should take huge steps in making peace in the Middle East. They have the power and the money to do it. The U.S. could walk in there and force the 1967 greenline and put everyone in there place. Just like they walked into Iraq or Afghanastan.

Proof to this is Israel's continued destruction of the Palestinians in Mind, Body and Soul.

[ 27 October 2003: Message edited by: Blind_Patriot ]

DavidB-D
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4572

posted 27 October 2003 12:18 PM      Profile for DavidB-D     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Honey, if you're planning to bulldoze my house, I am really not gonna care a lot whether you're giving me notice or not. I am going to hate your guts for bulldozing my house. Capice?

Well, Shweetheart, itz lyk dis:
Labelling the IDF as terrorists is not going to change reality. Not one bit.
You're going to hate my guts for bulldozing your house because you are still alive. What if the IDF were to do what other armies -- including the Allies in WWII; the Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq -- have done? Bomb you without warning ... you wouldn't be around to hate anyone's guts (and there are no virgin studs in heaven to console you).

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Oh, just an aside: How many armed forces in the civilized world notify their enemies' families to clear out of an intended target area before striking? Name just one! Beside the IDF, that is.
You say they are civilized. You still have a lot to learn.
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
Those in the anti-racist community understand this as a code phrase usually referring to the "Jooze". Now is that what you meant BP?
[ 27 October 2003: Message edited by: Mishei ]

Mishei, i would appreciated if you would try to put words in my mouth, because your foot is in your own. The Majority of Americans Sterotype Arabs/Muslims as Terrorists. Plain and simple. I don't know what your trying to accomplish here. You cannot tell me what I'm thinking or try to protray me as a bigot like you. becasue I'm not. You do not want peace. You want to see the Palestinians killed. I don't buy that very rare gesture of sobbing for the Palestinians that you make.

Almost 3000 people were left homless on Saturday, and you come here and start derailing this thread about these Israeli terrorist and paint me with your anti-semite brush. Get a heart.

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 27 October 2003 12:26 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

"Clearly violating international law." skdadl must be an expert in international law, otherwise she would not have been so emphatic; therefore, I shall not dispute her expertise. I'll merely state that the IDF is not a terrorist organization and it is doing its job.

When a bunch of armed men wearing ski masks raid a hospital and take a critically wounded man off life support, calling them terrorists doesn't seem that far off the mark. It sure as hell isn't due process.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 12:29 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Almost 3000 people were left homless on Saturday, and you come here and start derailing this thread about these Israeli terrorist and paint me with your anti-semite brush. Get a heart.

After reading the article, it appears that the JDF didn't actually blow up anyones homes. They demolished three unfinished apartment blocks after ordering the surrounding neighbors out of their homes so that (I assume here) they would not be hurt should something go wrong with the demolitions (not unlike the safety procedures taken in other countries).

Was it a surprising move to do it in the middle of the night? Yes. It was a smart move too. Keep you opponents disoriented an unable to organize while you get the job done. Imagine the problems had they given notice. You would have had thousands of people in the buildings at demolition time. Not what the JDF needed to get the job done.

Look at the results. No major damage to the surrounding properties, no people killed as a result of the demolitions.

Not a bad day for the JDF, all around.

[ 27 October 2003: Message edited by: HeywoodFloyd ]

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
You do not want peace. You want to see the Palestinians killed. I don't buy that very rare gesture of sobbing for the Palestinians that you make.
BP, IMHO, this is a contravention of Babble policy. To suggest that I
quote:
want to see the Palestinians killed
is a total outrage. It is an evil and viscious lie and I am asking for a retraction.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Everyone should read Slim's link.

audra, we need a smiley that cries. Real tears.

The hospitals. Terrorizing doctors and nurses and sick patients. That's too real for me. Too. Real.

Uri_Eidel
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4597

posted 27 October 2003 12:42 PM      Profile for Uri_Eidel        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Look at the results. No major damage to the surrounding properties, no people killed as a result of the demolitions.

Very much agreed on the first point. Of course, having just destroyed what would have become homes for the homeless in occupied land, it is more difficult for me to agree with the latter point. It could only be said that the IDF took great care in not killing anyone, only to ensure they will continue to live in the streets.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 12:45 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Gee, Heywood and Uri: Aren't you both just such models of -- now, what would the word be? aha! efficiency! that's it! Such models of efficiency.
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodFloyd:

After reading the article, it appears that the JDF didn't actually blow up anyones homes. They demolished three unfinished apartment blocks after ordering the surrounding neighbors out of their homes so that (I assume here) they would not be hurt should something go wrong with the demolitions (not unlike the safety procedures taken in other countries).

Was it a surprising move to do it in the middle of the night? Yes. It was a smart move too. Keep you opponents disoriented an unable to organize while you get the job done. Imagine the problems had they given notice. You would have had thousands of people in the buildings at demolition time. Not what the JDF needed to get the job done.

What is the "JDF"?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 12:51 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
oops, sorry. The IDF.
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 12:58 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If these building were really for the homeless (I haven't seen any evidence of that in the press but it sounds reasonable) then Israel could get some major brownie points by offering to fund the building of enough two or three story condo-type buildings to replace the lost housing.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Too bad, really.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 October 2003 01:22 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
------------
True, but not in this case Al.

Are you basing your accusation on your authority as a psychoanalyst or as an Inquisitor?

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
After reading the article, it appears that the JDF didn't actually blow up anyones homes. They demolished three unfinished apartment blocks

actually, the Palestinians were evacuated prior to the terrorist act being performed. I'm sure you see it as getting 2000 Palestinians on your side, don't you.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Israeli forces retaliated Sunday for a deadly attack by militants on a nearby Jewish settlement, blowing up three large, emptybuildings in Gaza after ordering 2,000 Palestinians from their homes.

Before the huge blasts, Israeli soldiers ordered nearby residents in southern Gaza City out of their homes. The military said the evacuation was for their protection, to avoid harming civilians during the destruction of the three buildings.

BP, I am sure you have read the article closely. Perhaps you just misinterpreted the story.

The report does not indicate that there were any residents of the towers. It indicates that
surrounding neighbors were ordered out of their homes for their safety.

quote:
I'm sure you see it as getting 2000 Palestinians on your side, don't you.

No, I see it as protecting 2000 Palestinians from accidental injury.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 27 October 2003 02:05 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
They had to destroy the neighbourhood in order to save it?
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 02:10 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The neighborhood was not destroyed. Three empty buildings were.

No matter how you want to spin it, the IDF prevented civillian casualties, removed a threat, and did not displace any residents.

Good for them!

Uri_Eidel
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4597

posted 27 October 2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Uri_Eidel        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Gee, Heywood and Uri: Aren't you both just such models of -- now, what would the word be? aha! efficiency! that's it! Such models of efficiency.

I apologize skdadl, my message came out looking as if I approved of what the IDF had done. I absolutely do not. This, as well as much of what the IDF (Sharon tells them what to do) does, could easily be considered terrorism. I'm sure there are many in Iraq today who consider the US terrorists. The word terrorist isn't some factual definition, only a label, so anyone is free to use it. It applies to all groups in one way or another, including Israel.

Furthermore, in response to the idea that the IDF is the ONLY group who gives advanced warning of attacks, I remember reading that on the morning of 9/11, the US had recieved no less than two warnings prior to the airplanes striking.

From CNN

From Truthout.org

According to these articles, someone knew of the attacks prior to their happening and could have evacuated (the CNN article is not surprisingly vague about knowing where the attack would take place). I only post these articles to point out that the IDF isn't the only group to give advanced warning as was mentioned previously.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 02:14 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.

("They make a desert, and call it peace.")

-- Tacitus

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 02:19 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Uri, forgive me for misreading you, and welcome to babble.

I feel very very sad these days, about ... well, about these days.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

No, I see it as protecting 2000 Palestinians from accidental injury.

Don't you think that Israel will have todefend itself from some of these 2000 homeless Palestinians? Very un-productive (AS Always) move by Israel.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 27 October 2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
In 1998, U.S. intelligence had information that a group of unidentified Arabs planned to fly an explosives-laden airplane into the World Trade Center, according to a joint
inquiry of the House and Senate intelligence committees.

quote:
According to these articles, someone knew of the attacks prior to their happening and could have evacuated

"Please, everyone try to stay calm. There is presently no threat, and there won't be for three more years, so please, no pushing or shoving! Please return to your homes until sometime in 2001 (we think). Again, no need to panic!"

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 02:55 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Don't you think that Israel will have to defend itself from some of these 2000 homeless Palestinians?

What 2000 homeless Palestinians?

Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 27 October 2003 03:23 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Sounds like the Huron or the Ojibwa, doesn't it?

Ah well. The Palestinians were never in charge of their own destinies before, so hey, they obviously have no right to live where they've lived for hundreds of years today, right? Yup, that must be it. And since we've bombed civilians and committed genocide in the past, we should claim moral authority for people who refrain from committing genocide today!

And while we're at it, I've never murdered anyone, so why don't I have a medal and a few million in arms money from the USA? No fair!

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 27 October 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
What 2000 homeless Palestinians?
The evacuated ones. Don't be ignorant.

Uri_Eidel
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4597

posted 27 October 2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Uri_Eidel        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
"Please, everyone try to stay calm. There is presently no threat, and there won't be for three more years, so please, no pushing or shoving! Please return to your homes until sometime in 2001 (we think). Again, no need to panic!"

Laughable. We are of course free to choose to believe anything we want, including that this massive breakdown in emergency hijacking procedure (among countless other missing pieces) and that US intelligence is so out of touch as to have no clue about anything ever happening, choosing solely to live in fear of the unknown.

This thread of course, is not about 9/11 and I have to apologize at the lack of foresight on my part in not anticipating that someone would and has surely missed the point of why I did mention it. I shall try to be more diligent in the future but if this is common fare on babble, then a certain amount of it will have to be expected and tolerated.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am not being ignorant. Their homes are still there and they are back in them. The homes that the people were temporarily evacuated from have not been destroyed.

Homeless? Nope.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 27 October 2003 03:58 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

You're going to hate my guts for bulldozing your house because you are still alive. What if the IDF were to do what other armies -- including the Allies in WWII; the Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq -- have done? Bomb you without warning ... you wouldn't be around to hate anyone's guts

Parsed: "Others are and have been worse terrorists, therefore the IDF are not terrorists."

Good lord, we need more education in logic in the public schools.

quote:
The blast on Sunday sent black smoke billowing into the pre-dawn sky and shattered windows of neighboring houses. One Palestinian was seriously injured, Palestinian officials said

Not quite as harmless as all that, says the NY Times.

That said, I agree I'd prefer to see the IDF blow up largely unoccupied buildings to residences. Alas that there are many cases of the latter as well.

As for the hospital raids, there's just no excuse in the world for that. If Palestinian militants are wrong to violate the sanctity of medical care in using ambulances for attacks (as the IDF claims they do) then the IDF is equally to blame when they perform such a violation. Sadly, our world's quite full of the type of reasoning, "It's all right when I do it, because I'm Good. It's wrong when you do it, because you're Bad."

From: Help, I'm stuck in the USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Polunatic
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3278

posted 27 October 2003 04:08 PM      Profile for Polunatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From the CBC source at the top of this thread:
quote:
On Saturday evening, about 4,000 demonstrators gathered in front of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's Jerusalem residence chanting "Sharon, Go Home" and carrying torches. Sharon: Terminator of Israel, one banner read, a clear expression of the crowd's anger at the prime minister's frequent crackdowns on Palestinians on the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip.

1) Did the protestors want to drive Sharon into the sea?
2) Is accusing Sharon of being the "Terminator of Israel" an anti=Semitic comment?
3) Is this crowd pro-terrorist because they're angry at the PM for crackdowns in the occupied lands?
If you answered yes to these three questions then, congrats because you've just concluded that these Peace Now supporters are anti-Semitic and pro-terrorist Jews.

From: middle of nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 04:13 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
As for the hospital raids, there's just no excuse in the world for that. If Palestinian militants are wrong to violate the sanctity of medical care in using ambulances for attacks (as the IDF claims they do) then the IDF is equally to blame when they perform such a violation.

The hospital raids suck, no doubt. My question is, what are the Palestinian militants doing by violating the sanctity of the hospitals by hiding in them?

Taking the guys on life support into custody was just shitty. At least he is back in a hospital now.

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 27 October 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The evacuated ones. Don't be ignorant.
Heywood, dont take it personally BP calls anyone who doesn't agree with him ignorant. He also wrongly and with purpose accuses people of supporting and advocating murder that's how slimey he can be.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 27 October 2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I have to apologize at the lack of foresight on my part in not anticipating that someone would and has surely missed the point of why I did mention it.

Uh, no. I think it was pretty clear you were trying to suggest that other groups are good enough to warn potential victims of terrorism, so as to spare some human life. Unfortunately the link you provided suggests that a) if the U.S. was actually warned of 9/11 it was warned years ago (why no call on the 10th??) b) it was warned by unnamed sources (who may or may not have been pranksters) and c) the 'warning' was one of a zillion other pieces of intelligence information.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that maybe you're one of the "Bush Knew" "9/11 Reichstag" conspiracy kooks?

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 27 October 2003 04:23 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The hospital raids suck, no doubt. My question is, what are the Palestinian militants doing by violating the sanctity of the hospitals by hiding in them?

Since at least one was described as "critically injured", some were getting medical care there. (The Haaretz article mentions a previos raid, where the man to be arrested had a bullet wound in the stomach.) Which would be considered a legit use of a hospital, I'd imagine.

From the Haaretz article, at least one was described as armed and hiding in the cellar, which would not be a legit use, etc. This, I would agree, deserves condemnation, and I do condemn it, and whatever groups make a policy of concealment there.

Two wrongs don't make a right, etc etc.

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 27 October 2003 04:26 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
April, I agree with you. Leave the injured people alone in the hospitals. It is way outa line to hit them there.

As to the militants hiding in the facilities, it is just making it easier for the IDF to skirt the laws so knock it off.

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 04:26 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Well, Shweetheart, itz lyk dis:
Labelling the IDF as terrorists is not going to change reality. Not one bit.
You're going to hate my guts for bulldozing your house because you are still alive. What if the IDF were to do what other armies -- including the Allies in WWII; the Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq -- have done? Bomb you without warning ... you wouldn't be around to hate anyone's guts (and there are no virgin studs in heaven to console you).

(Aside: Thanks to April Follies for calling this post to my attention.

This is one of those babble oddities we've been talking about lately: a post that isn't there when one posts shortly afterwards, and yet is there when one checks back hours later. Amazin'.)

But back to my pookiekins DavidB-D:

Snookums! You are gonna let me live! Hallelujah! And ta very much!

It is so true. In downtown Toronto, someone gives us advance warning that our buildings are about to be bulldozed, and the first thing we say is, Wow! Thanks for the warning! And the second thing we say is, Wow! Nice of you to let me live!

David, sweetcheeks, I am hardly a fan of the American bombing campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq. And you can pre-date that view as far back as you like, actually.

Just put me down as one who believes in the sanctity of human life, David munchkin-o'-mine, and cannot really grasp why the barely-still-living are supposed to be grateful to any murderous power-monger for being allowed still to live.

April Follies
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4098

posted 27 October 2003 04:48 PM      Profile for April Follies   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
April, I agree with you. Leave the injured people alone in the hospitals. It is way outa line to hit them there.

As to the militants hiding in the facilities, it is just making it easier for the IDF to skirt the laws so knock it off.

Absolute agreement. Indeed, there are many cases where I want to howl at e.g. Hamas, "Not only are you bloody-minded killers, you're hurting your own side!" Tell that to fanatics of any stripe, though.

Uri_Eidel
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4597

posted 27 October 2003 05:27 PM      Profile for Uri_Eidel        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Uh, no. I think it was pretty clear you were trying to suggest that other groups are good enough to warn potential victims of terrorism, so as to spare some human life. Unfortunately the link you provided suggests that a) if the U.S. was actually warned of 9/11 it was warned years ago (why no call on the 10th??) b) it was warned by unnamed sources (who may or may not have been pranksters) and c) the 'warning' was one of a zillion other pieces of intelligence information.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that maybe you're one of the "Bush Knew" "9/11 Reichstag" conspiracy kooks?

What we do know for sure is that we don't know what Bush knew. There are too many unanswered questions to be conclusive either way. The article you're referring to is the CNN one, which is admittedly a confusing one. I only included it to try to provide a right-tilted source in contrast to the other one. It's not a good article and I should have steered clear of posting a CNN article as a source. My apologies for that.

As for the kooks comment, I'll let your name-calling speak for itself. Clearly the tool of the highly intelligent.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 27 October 2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'll let your name-calling speak for itself. Clearly the tool of the highly intelligent.

It was conditional, Uri. If the KooK fits, wear it.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 27 October 2003 05:40 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
We need a warm-fuzzy emoticon. Just for you Magoo, you really do grow on one you know, and not in a bad way like a rash.
From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uri_Eidel
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4597

posted 27 October 2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Uri_Eidel        Edit/Delete Post
I've found it to be true that as humans, we see most clearly in other people what we know to be true of ourselves. Since you desire to reveal yourself as a kook, then so be it. I think you are nice anyways.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca