babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Another UN Resolution that will be ignored by Rogue States

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Another UN Resolution that will be ignored by Rogue States
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 22 October 2003 04:03 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
UN resolution demands Israel demolish security fence

quote:
The vote on the resolution was 144 in favour, 4 against, including the U.S. and Israel. There were 12 abstentions.

The resolution calls on Israel to "stop and reverse the construction of the wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory" and calls the barrier "in contradiction to relevant provisions of international law."

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 22 October 2003 02:28 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
Why is the US vetoing this? Isn't that basically what they proposed in their "peace" plan?
From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 22 October 2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by evenflow:
Why is the US vetoing this? Isn't that basically what they proposed in their "peace" plan?

Because the U.S. administration believes in acting unilaterally. THEY give the law, not the UN...unless of course the UN giving the law is good for US interests - see their policy on the ICTY/ICC for instructive lessons...

Mori
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4594

posted 27 October 2003 11:42 AM      Profile for Mori     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Why oppose a wall that will keep Israeli soldiers out of "palestinian" enclaves????

IF occupation is the main source of trouble for the "palestinians" shouldn't they greet this wall as an answer to their prayers??

Or is something else at work here??

I know that there is a claim that "some" of the wall encroaches on "palestinian" lands (or to be more exact, lands that "palestinians" claim are theirs even though history proves otherwise). But what price peace??? Isn't a few acres of land worth the end of the "occupation"????

Although Israel feels justified to build a wall to keep the suicide bombers out, why can't the "palestinians" feel relief at finally being able to run things by themselves and for themselves with the "occupiers" safely behind a wall.

Or is it again a mere matter of the fact that if left on their own, the world would see that these people do not and were never entitled to a land that they can call their own (except Jordan!)???

A wall keeps people out FROM BOTH SIDES!!! And the "palestinians" didn't have to pay a cent for it!!! I wish my neighbours took the same attitude and paid fully for a fence around my backyard. Maybe I should start planting bombs in their childrens' bedrooms... works for the "palestinians" dosen't it????

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 October 2003 11:48 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
why can't the "palestinians" feel relief at finally being able to run things by themselves and for themselves with the "occupiers" safely behind a wall.

Oh! I get it. The ghetto. What a brilliant solution! Why didn't I think of that?

You've been a very busy boy today, haven't you, Mori? Have you spent any time at all reading long-running discussions on this site? Not a lot of people are going to enjoy going 'round some of your mulberry bushes yet again.

And not a lot of people like posters who snigger about bombing their neighbours' children.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 27 October 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
works for the "palestinians" dosen't it????

Consider my complaint lodged with the moderator.

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 27 October 2003 11:54 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah. Bye, Mori.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca