babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Arafat calls for UN intervention. US expected to veto any security council motions

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arafat calls for UN intervention. US expected to veto any security council motions
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 21 October 2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ha'aretz article

quote:
In his first public comments on the air raids,
Arafat did not specify what action he sought.
But he told reporters that world leaders,
including the Quartet of powers trying to
secure a peace agreement, should "immediately
intervene to stop this military madness in
which they aim to destroy the Holy Land and
this steadfast people".

Meanwhile, IAF Deputy Defense Minister Ze'ev Boim does a fine job of blaming the victims:

quote:
Asked Tuesday about the civilian casualties in
IAF raids, Deputy Defense Minister Ze'ev Boim
said "The murderous Hamas and Jihad terrorism
nests deep within the civilian population. Some
of this population - and I emphasize, some -
collaborates and aids these murderous
organizations.

"Not all are innocent there, certainly not those
who store lathes (for producing Qassam rockets)
and weaponry, bombs, and Qassams in their
homes," Boim told Israel Radio, adding that
"some of them also receive good money for this.
This is also true of the (arms-smuggling)
tunnels in Rafah."

I suppose that doctor and the two kids killed worked lathes in their spare time?

Meanwhile, the Arab League made a statement saying that Israel is at "open war" against the Palestinian people. Hell: meet handbasket.

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ice Foot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2531

posted 21 October 2003 07:07 PM      Profile for Ice Foot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Unbelievable. Just the same old thing over and over. You know, I notice a lot more outpouring of grief in the media in general for casualties related to suicide bombings than I do for victims on the other side. Aren't the lives of both peoples just as sacred?
Peacefulnotion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3461

posted 21 October 2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Peacefulnotion     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Before people jump to the conclusions, it is necessary to get to the truth and that is not as black and white as the first two posts seem to indicate:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/22/international/middleeast/22MIDE.html?pagewanted=2

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/351965.html

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 22 October 2003 04:58 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peacefulnotion:
Before people jump to the conclusions, it is necessary to get to the truth and that is not as black and white as the first two posts seem to indicate:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/22/international/middleeast/22MIDE.html?pagewanted=2

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/351965.html

Right, and of course the IDF -- who identified the victims as 'Hamas operatives' are a fair and impartial source of information...

Get real.

I recall the Serbian government under Milosevic used to call any and all casualties on the Albanian side in Kosovo, "terrorists" too. And Russia did the same in Chechnya, and the U.S. in Vietnam (must've been Cong....)

Smarten up.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 October 2003 07:51 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Too late.
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 22 October 2003 10:17 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Ten minutes of extra footage? If it's that boring and uneventful, what's to prevent it being released?

I'm not a conspiracy-minded person usually, but this is the sort of behaviour that fuels that sort of thing.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca