babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israel jails Canadian 'refusenik'

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israel jails Canadian 'refusenik'
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 21 October 2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
(Please forgive me if this has already been posted.)

This is a fascinating story that was printed in the Star a few weeks ago.

quote:
"Until today, I have never refused to obey an order. I always came when called, with my army boots, hat and uniform," [Israeli reserve soldier Dan] Goldenblatt said in a written statement to his superiors obtained by the Star.

"For reasons of conscience, I refuse to take part in acts of occupation. I refuse to give any Palestinian even the slightest additional reason to participate in terrorist acts, to hate my country. I refuse to participate in the policy of revolving and stupid revenge of the current government of Israel, which believes in power and lacks initiative or hope," Goldenblatt said.

"And I refuse to guard the poisonous and extremely costly settlements, which are the foundation of the policy of oppression and occupation.

"I believe with all my heart that in refusing to serve in the occupied territories, I am serving the State of Israel in the most important manner."
In his written statement, Goldenblatt cited the death of his friend, Zvi Bahat, who was killed in Saturday's suicide attack at Maxim Restaurant in Haifa. The bomber, Goldenblatt noted, was revealed to be a woman, a young Palestinian law clerk from Jenin, whose own brother and cousin were killed in earlier IDF operations.

"How is it possible that a young woman can carry out such an awful suicide bombing?" Goldenblatt wrote.

"The only possible answer is that she was driven by an utter lack of hope, that the result of 36 years of occupation is this utter lack of hope for a better life, freedom, self-respect — in short, all of the things that all of us hope for and expect.

"We have turned the lives of women and children into hell, but we are shocked, enraged and demand retribution when the people who are the products of our occupation take action against us.

David Goldenblatt [Dan's father], who has a sister living in Toronto, said he is concerned something will be lost in the translation when the Canadian family learns of his son's incarceration.

"It's a problem. My sense is the overwhelming majority of the Canadian Jewish community gets its views from the Israeli government," he said.

"I would tell them that at this point, it doesn't even matter who is right. We simply have to break the circle of violence."

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bubbles
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3787

posted 23 October 2003 12:48 AM      Profile for Bubbles        Edit/Delete Post
Goes to show that it is hard to be a soldier when you think.
evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 23 October 2003 11:05 AM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
Indeed. This soldier knows that continuing the occupation does not lead to more security for Israel, but less. Of course, unlike his government, he wants peace for Israel.
From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 23 October 2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Goldenblatt for Primeminister.
From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca