babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Jews and Palestinians

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Jews and Palestinians
Mycroft_
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2230

posted 08 October 2003 05:19 PM      Profile for Mycroft_     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The genetic profile of Palestinians has, for the first time, been studied by using human leukocyte antigen (HLA) gene variability and haplotypes. The comparison with other Mediterranean populations by using neighbor-joining dendrograms and correspondence analyses reveal that Palestinians are genetically very close to Jews and other Middle East populations, including Turks (Anatolians), Lebanese, Egyptians, Armenians, and Iranians. Archaeologic and genetic data support that both Jews and Palestinians came from the ancient Canaanites, who extensively mixed with Egyptians, Mesopotamian, and Anatolian peoples in ancient times. Thus, Palestinian-Jewish rivalry is based in cultural and religious, but not in genetic, differences. The relatively close relatedness of both Jews and Palestinians to western Mediterranean populations reflects the continuous circum-Mediterranean cultural and gene flow that have occurred in prehistoric and historic times. This flow overtly contradicts the demic diffusion model of western Mediterranean populations substitution by agriculturalists coming from the Middle East in the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 October 2003 05:36 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I posted a little article about this on babble quite a while back:
----------------------------------
Jews, Arabs share genes:
-
Jews and Arabs are brothers, according to a geneticist at the University of Arizona. The comparison of groups of Semites also shows that Jews have successfully resisted having their gene pool diluted desite living among non-Jews for 2,000 years. Michael Hammer studied and compared the genes of more than 1,300 males from 29 different populations and found that 'Jews and Arabs are really children of Abraham.' The study was based on the Y chromosome, which only males have and which is passed down with little change from father to son. The groups included such Jewish populations as the Ashkenazi, Roman, North African, Kurdish, Iraqi and Iranian, Yemenite and Ethiopian. Dr Hammer compared their genes to samples from Arabs such as Palestinians, Lebanese, Syrians, Israeli Druze and Saudis.
----------------------
The "resistance to assimilation" part is interesting, among Ashkenazi Jews. Still, I suspect some of the blond and red-headed Ashkenazis owe their fair colouring to the unfortunate impact of a pogrom - or perhaps the more pleasant thought of some inter-community hanky-panky.

It is true that a lot of us with ancestors around the Mediterranean pretty much look the same. As the (NYC Jewish writer-lady) cartoon character "Sylvia" famously said: "I'm in training to be tall and blonde"

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 October 2003 06:00 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mycroft, one detail from your link that surprised me was the mention of Iranians (unqualified). Not that I know anything about this, but I have always been led to believe that Iranians/Persians were (somehow?) distinct from all Arab populations -- which otherwise stretch a very long distance.

The study lagatta refers to specifies Iranian Jews, I think (if I'm reading that right).

In any event, talking about how close various human populations are genetically always strikes me as a little odd, given that we know that all humans share well over 90 per cent of their genes with the great apes (chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans).

I have a friend/managing editor who distinguishes among the people she knows by the social differences we have detected among the great apes. Orangutans, eg, are apparently solitary and depressive. Chimps are, by contrast, very social. She thinks I'm a chimp and should sign m'self Haveabanana?

Little does she know.

sk "ivantotbealone" dadl

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca