babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » US Military Deaths

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: US Military Deaths
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 October 2003 04:25 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Suicide a Recurring Problem in the US Military

quote:
The anecdotes from Iraq are chilling. One soldier simply pulled the pin on a hand grenade, stood his ground, and blew himself up. Another's last words to his wife were: "There is nothing I can do from here." When their phone call ended, the soldier put his service revolver in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Then there is the story about the distraught family still wondering whose weapon was responsible for the "nonhostile gunshot wound" that, according to official records, killed their son.

On a related note...

---

Finally, if I may make reference to the previous "War is Over" thread, I noted that the US Soldier death rate may be calculated as about 0.95 deaths per day, which dovetails with the range of three to six per week cited elsewhere.

Since there were 316 deaths as of October 1, and it is now the 5th there should be either 320 or 321 deaths today, or 4 or 5 new ones since then.

[ 05 October 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foxer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4251

posted 05 October 2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Foxer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
When their phone call ended, the soldier put his service revolver in his mouth and pulled the trigger.

Since when has the military issued service revolvers to their troops? 1911 was the last year I can recall... Sloppy reporting or is the writer relying on 'questionable' sources? They don't even issue them to pilots anymore.

I hate sloppy reporting.

Anyway - it brings up an interesting point. Suicide rates for combat troops is always high. In fact - it was noted that the suicide rate for soldiers returning from vietnam is STILL very high - and in fact it's even disproportionatly high for their KIDS. (about 3-1 to the national average).

This is something I think that america has forgotten - EVEN IF the war is completely just, and the cause is righteous, war destroys the men and women who fight it. It's like being exposed to radiation - the longer your exposure the more severe the symptoms, and you can achieve lethal exposure before ANY signs of illness show up. It might be years later.

Mentally, physically and emotionally war cripples those who fight it. If for no other reason than that it's really good policy to stay the hell out of prolonged conflicts if at all humanly possible.

This ties into some of my earlier comments that the longer the us is there, the more likely and more numerous the cases of soldiers 'snapping' and killing civilians (or themselves) will be.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 November 2003 05:33 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Anyone else have comments about possible suicides among the US forces in Iraq?

Addendum: Based on my math above, there should now be 360 US military deaths total.

[ 02 November 2003: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca