babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » There is a Right of Return

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: There is a Right of Return
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 28 September 2003 05:55 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Even though Edward Said is gone, other voices from Al-Ahram have contributions to make.

quote:
To recycle the words of Ha'aretz, virtually all its editorials have poorly served their innocent Israeli and international readers by consistently cultivating among them the dangerous illusion that a lasting peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict can be reached without substantively addressing the Palestinian right of return, rather than courageously encouraging Israelis to confront their history of expulsion and dispossession. With its irresponsible editorial remarks, Ha'aretz constructs bypass roads around important chapters in the political history of Israel, and in so doing, throws dust in Israeli eyes and sullies prospects of forging any agreement.

Shiko Behar replies to Ha'aretz

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 29 September 2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There you go asking for the destruction of Israeli again you vile antisemite...
Foxer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4251

posted 29 September 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Foxer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I had trouble making it thru the whole article (israel in modern times isn't one of my studies except on a very cursory level) but I'm curious - the 'right of return', isn't that just the concept that those displaced will be allowed to come back once a peacefull solution is found? Or am I way the hell out in left feild there? I'm not sure how it threatens' israel herself?
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 29 September 2003 04:01 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I'm not sure how it threatens' israel herself?

You'n me both, kid.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 29 September 2003 10:57 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I think that Courage was being facetious, and/or pre-empting the inevitable similar remarks from other posters.

Unless he was serious of course; how would I know...

Foxer, you pretty much have it there: displaced Palestinian refugees are allowed to return to their homes. How does that threaten Isreal as a secular democratic state? It doesn't. However, if you consider Israel to be a 'Jewish State', then it would be a destruction of sorts...

But can a state be officially religious and yet democratic?

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 30 September 2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamL:
But can a state be officially religious and yet democratic?

Not if there are any significant minorities...you know, like 1/3 of the population or something like that...

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 30 September 2003 02:13 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by SamL:
[QB]I think that Courage was being facetious, and/or pre-empting the inevitable similar remarks from other posters.

Unless he was serious of course; how would I know...

What? Me facetious? Sarcastic?

Never.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca