babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » A letter to my Palestinian friends

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A letter to my Palestinian friends
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 26 September 2003 10:49 AM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A few weeks ago Avraham Burg posted an op-ed in the Forward highly critical of Israel and its policy directions.

This week Burg posts another provocative piece, this time addressing himself to his Palestinian friends.

It is a must read.

A letter to my Palestinian friends

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 26 September 2003 12:27 PM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
He lost me partway through, it was awfully preachy by the end.

But, that's not why I'm here. Here's a link to the op-ed Mishei referred to in his posting. I figure reading both articles would be better than just discussing the one.

Forward

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 26 September 2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Aroused, there was a discussion on Burg's earlier piece however I have no objection to it being referred to again.

Preachy? Is that the best you can do? Seems to me that when Burg was critical of Israel no one thought him preachy. Hmmmm

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 26 September 2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
Aroused, there was a discussion on Burg's earlier piece however I have no objection to it being referred to again.

Preachy? Is that the best you can do? Seems to me that when Burg was critical of Israel no one thought him preachy. Hmmmm

Well at least he admits Israels aspirations of a much Larger state and expansionism. How can you think that Avraham can change this way of thinking? Remember the Intifada started 3 years ago and the suicide bombings had virtually been non-existent before this indifada, except for a few exceptions. So why wasn't Israel compromising their dreams back then? It was the Palestinians who sat down for peace talks with an Israeli regime who didn't want peace in the first place. The article smacks of surpremacy.

I also think that the reference to 2000 years ago and the Rights to Palestinian land is applorable... when he thinks that the Palestinians should give up their right after only 55 years. God is not a real estate broker, especially when it's committed through ethnic cleansing as the Zionist did. I also interpret the article in Forward as rallying the Zionist troops. It certainly doesn't seems like he was being critical.

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 26 September 2003 09:30 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fromn the article:

quote:
During the last 50 years Israel absorbed hordes of refugees from around the world without waiting for anyone.

I do not believe this is strictly correct, as I generally recall hearing mainly of Jewish refugees such as those leaving Ethiopia being given free right of entry into Israel.

quote:
I know that 35 years of occupation have taken their toll on you, as they have on us. But these bad years have spawned one good thing — the real possibility of the first Arab democracy.

Iran is the closest to this standard, incidentally, so it is somewhat patronizing to assume that Arabs get all their inspiration from Israel.

Other than that I don't have much to nitpick about the article.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 27 September 2003 06:53 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

I didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the discussion of the previous piece (although I may have posted something..).

That being said, I read both articles back to back before writing that. And yes, I did find the tone different between them, hence my comment. The Israeli one is critical of Israeli policy, and fairly strongly so coming from an Israeli Jew IMO. The Palestinian one struck me as much more condescending in tone, and didn't offer, again IMO, much 'advice' beyond stopping suicide bombings. I would have preferred a stronger case being made for supporting moderates, coupled with a stronger call for dialogue between the two sides. As it stood, it sounded not far off the official Israeli government line of 'stop all the attacks and dismantle the organizations, then maybe we'll talk'.

So yes, one preachy, one critical. I give it, oh, 5/10 for the Palestinian one, 7/10 for the Israeli one.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca