babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Christians Hail Rightist's Call To Oust Arabs

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Christians Hail Rightist's Call To Oust Arabs
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 September 2003 07:28 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
WASHINGTON — Thousands of Evangelical Christians waving Israeli flags cheered last week as Knesset member Benny Elon called for the "relocation" of Palestinians from the West Bank into Jordan.

The enthusiastic crowd at the annual convention of the Christian Coalition in Washington also cheered House Majority Whip Tom DeLay, who urged activists to back pro-Israel candidates who "stand unashamedly for Jesus Christ."

Elon, whose Moledet Party advocates the "transfer" of Palestinians to Arab countries,said that a "resettlement" of the Palestinians is prescribed by the Bible.

http://www.forward.com/issues/2002/02.10.18/news3.html

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 22 September 2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingNut:

http://www.forward.com/issues/2002/02.10.18/news3.html

Let us recall that this is well within the mainstream of Israeli politics. Molodet forms part of Sharon's governing right-wing coalition.

[ 22 September 2003: Message edited by: Courage ]

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 September 2003 12:40 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
...pro-Israel candidates who "stand unashamedly for Jesus Christ."

Ain't JC the guy who called for folks to "turn the other cheek," and said things such as "Blessed are the meek" and "Blessed are the peacemakers"?

Is there some other Jesus Christ that we haven't heard about?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 23 September 2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

Yeah I have heard of this other "Jesus" before... he seems so different than the one I know. That other one is very judgemental and does not have any tolerance for sinners. He beleives in theocracy and beleives that women are inferior to men in the eyes of God. He is also a racist and a homophobe.

I really detest this other "Jesus", I think he is giving the real Jesus a bad name!

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 September 2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Word, Gir.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 September 2003 11:35 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by al-Qa'bong:

I've found the other Jesus!

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 September 2003 10:30 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would laugh, except ... It's all too true, isn't it?

Truth outstrips even satire.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 24 September 2003 10:41 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gir Draxon:
I really detest this other "Jesus", I think he is giving the real Jesus a bad name!

Amen.

The real Jesus also said that the greatest in the kingdom would be a servant and that "the greatest will be the least and the least will be the greatest." I'm not sure how that fits with candidate nomination and support.

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 25 September 2003 12:58 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bush recieves his support from the Christian right. If the Road Map were to actually be impimented he would lose this support and probably lose the next election.

End the occupation. How?

Compensation for leaving homes in West Bank and Gaza Settlements
In a recent survey carried out by Hopp Research Company, funded by Peace Now, and released in July, 2002 interesting data on settler attitudes towards compensation and withdrawal were revealed. Most important is a clear readiness of the vast majority of settlers to receive what they estimate as adequate compensation in order to allow them to leave their present housing and return to the State of Israel. Three thousand two hundred households were interviewed in 127 settlements throughout the West Bank and Gaza.

A pragmatic and realistic approach to the future among the overwhelming majority of settlers is revealed by the following few facts:

77% moved to settlements in order to improve the quality of their lives.
69% of all settlers view the receipt of financial compensation or a property exchange as the preferred option in the event of a peace agreement.
Only a small minority (6%) intends to oppose compensation and withdrawal through "any" means and of this only 2% could be termed "hard core."

The survey did not ask settlers about the readiness to leave now if compensation were available. In order to check this question, Peace Now sent letters to settlers in several places stating: “We know that many Israelis currently residing in the territories are interested in living within the Green Line. However, these citizens are trapped because of the collapse of the value of their property within the settlements and because of the lack of any long or short-term plan for housing and employment.

Using our experience in public campaigns, we would like to launch an effort to establish a public entity whose task is to resolve all issues related to settlers who wish to leave their settlement homes and live within the ’67 borders. Pressure should be exercised on government authorities to establish such an entity.”

The responses to this letter were more than anticipated with dozens of families asking for help in ending the most difficult situation within which they are living.

A myth has been created by the settler leadership over the years, and their supporters, that sentiments against withdrawal among the settlers are so extreme that it will be nigh impossible to dismantle even one settlement. This myth has been re-enforced by the failure of any Israeli prime minister since Menachem Begin) to order withdrawal from settlements, even when the public would have accepted such a move.

Within this context the importance of efforts to translate the willingness revealed by the Hopp survey into a program is clear. The majority of settlers are not nationalistic fanatics, nor extremists who would resort to force against a governmental decision. Rather, the majority is pragmatic, realistic, and looking for a plan which would resolve their housing problem in the near future.

Our goal is to organize and work now, not waiting for final status negotiations nor agreements. Work, publicity, and small moves have the potential to create a major shift in public opinion within Israel, a change of opinion among leaders, and a wave within the settler population in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 25 September 2003 02:36 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The irony is that the Israeli government often offers substantial financial incentives for people to move to settlements inside the Occupied Territories.

It makes one wonder if Israelis are as much a victim of manipulative long-term demographic shift tactics as the Palestinian-Arabs are.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 September 2003 10:26 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Doc, I think that is an important insight.

The Israelis now, more than ever, have become pawns, ordinary Israelis have.

Israel has always been useful to the U.S., but under the Bush regime, it has suddenly become part of a major strategic plan for not only the Middle East but also, I think, the Asian subcontinent.

I wonder whether Israelis ever ponder just how they are being used.

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 25 September 2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I have read repeatedly that most of the settlers would live if given compensation for their homes, which the Israeli government would of course never do--and never support any proposals to do so. They were attracted there by subsidised real estate, you see, the majority of them. Now their houses are worth next to nothing unless they live in them.
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca