babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Rabbi Lerner critisizes anti-Israel rhetoric

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rabbi Lerner critisizes anti-Israel rhetoric
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 05 September 2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Rabbi Michael Lerner, the left-wing leader of Tikkun community blasts those who have demeaned Israel and jews.

quote:
Tikkun Community's Lerner said that his group was "concerned" about the rhetoric used by some members in the anti-war coalition to describe Israel.

"We've been concerned about some people in UFPJ speaking in a language that seemed demeaning to Israel or insensitive to the people of Israel and... we won't stay in the organization that continues in that tenor," Lerner said. "But what we've found in the past few months is that most people don't feel represented by language that's demeaning to Israel or the Jewish people and so that's been reassuring."

The Forward

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 05 September 2003 06:08 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't read the comments as a "blast". Lerner is someone I respect, and so would be concerned if he had found the anti-war movement to be anti-semitic. What he says is that there may be some who are insensitive to Jews and Judaism, most aren't, and "that's reassuring."

quote:
Lerner painted a mixed picture.

"These groups are not in the majority at this moment, and if they were, we'd be out," Lerner said.

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 05 September 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Mishei's grasping at straws, for a change.

Meanwhile, I heard the second part of the series on National Public Radio about the wall. Apparently, the Bush administration is so terrified of the pro-Israeli lobby in Congress that it is doubtful that it will withhold any aid as punishment for Israeli land confiscations while constructing the wall. So Sharon can pretty much do whatever he wants without fear of reprisal. Somehow I doubt the Misheis of the world will comment on this injustice, or call for the aid to be withheld.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 05 September 2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by josh:
Mishei's grasping at straws, for a change.

Meanwhile, I heard the second part of the series on National Public Radio about the wall. Apparently, the Bush administration is so terrified of the pro-Israeli lobby in Congress that it is doubtful that it will withhold any aid as punishment for Israeli land confiscations while constructing the wall. So Sharon can pretty much do whatever he wants without fear of reprisal. Somehow I doubt the Misheis of the world will comment on this injustice, or call for the aid to be withheld.

From selective quoting of Rabbis, to lip-service 'condemnation' of the Wall, the story is getting old...

The Misheis of the world are against the occupation in theory, but in practice, it's 'Go Team Go'....

Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 05 September 2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Courage:

From selective quoting of Rabbis, to lip-service 'condemnation' of the Wall, the story is getting old...

The Misheis of the world are against the occupation in theory, but in practice, it's 'Go Team Go'....

Thank God we have Courage as our PR agent.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 06 September 2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mishei:
Thank God we have Courage as our PR agent.

You hardly need me. There are enough shills for the occupation around that my skills would be wholly redundant...

Then there's that little problem I have with defending the indefensible...

You seem to sleep fine...

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca