babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Judith Butler: No, it's not anti-semitic

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Judith Butler: No, it's not anti-semitic
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 23 August 2003 02:04 AM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Profoundly anti-Israel views are increasingly finding support in progressive intellectual communities. Serious and thoughtful people are advocating and taking actions that are anti-semitic in their effect if not their intent.

Lawrence Summers, 17 September 2002

quote:
When the president of Harvard University declared that to criticise Israel at this time and to call on universities to divest from Israel are 'actions that are anti-semitic in their effect, if not their intent', he introduced a distinction between effective and intentional anti-semitism that is controversial at best. The counter-charge has been that in making his statement, Summers has struck a blow against academic freedom, in effect, if not in intent. Although he insisted that he meant nothing censorious by his remarks, and that he is in favour of Israeli policy being 'debated freely and civilly', his words have had a chilling effect on political discourse. Among those actions which he called 'effectively anti-semitic' were European boycotts of Israel, anti-globalisation rallies at which criticisms of Israel were voiced, and fund-raising efforts for organisations of 'questionable political provenance'. Of local concern to him, however, was a divestment petition drafted by MIT and Harvard faculty members who oppose Israel's current occupation and its treatment of Palestinians. Summers asked why Israel was being 'singled out . . . among all nations' for a divestment campaign, suggesting that the singling out was evidence of anti-semitic intentions. And though he claimed that aspects of Israel's 'foreign and defence' policy 'can be and should be vigorously challenged', it was unclear how such challenges could or would take place without being construed as anti-Israel, and why these policy issues, which include occupation, ought not to be vigorously challenged through a divestment campaign. It would seem that calling for divestment is something other than a legitimately 'vigorous challenge', but we are not given any criteria by which to adjudicate between vigorous challenges that should be articulated, and those which carry the 'effective' force of anti-semitism.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 23 August 2003 02:54 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
For starters, don't spell antisemetic with a dash. It implies the legitimacy of the Nazi Aryans vs. Semites theory. However, the word has come to mean someone racist agains the Jews, so many people remove the hyphen to emphasize that they don't buy into racist junk science while still describing a certain kind of racist. (If I have ever spelled it that way, its a typo).

In the academic community, there is very little support for the state of Israel. Theyre not antisemetic as a whole, but some tend to be. I'd say that is on a case by case basis, while not supporting the state Israel is a valid generalization among the academic community.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sara Mayo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3714

posted 23 August 2003 03:37 AM      Profile for Sara Mayo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
For starters, don't spell antisemetic with a dash. It implies the legitimacy of the Nazi Aryans vs. Semites theory.

That's interesting. Is this a new analysis? Once in a while, I have seen it spelled without a dash, and I was wondering if it was a political statement, or just bad spelling.

From: "Highways are monuments to inequality" - Enrique Penalosa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 August 2003 04:45 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Perhaps, but "antisemetic" is just plain bad spelling.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 August 2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey, and here's another question. Is it anti-Semitic or anti-semitic?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 23 August 2003 12:14 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
Hey, and here's another question. Is it anti-Semitic or anti-semitic?
I believe the popular spelling is anti-Semitic. However I fully ascribe to and support Gir Draxon's pposition that it should be un-hyphenated.

Al, on Babble we have always had a bit of an unwritten rule not to critisize people for spelling and/or typo errors. FYI.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 23 August 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, unless we are specifically discussing how to spell something. It wasn't M. Bong (hee hee, clersal ) who started the debate on how to spell anti-Semitic.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 August 2003 12:46 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Butler's article is interesting too, for anyone who cares to read it ...

All the way through, actually, I found myself saying, "We already know that on babble; we already practise that."

Don't we?

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 23 August 2003 01:08 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Al, on Babble we have always had a bit of an unwritten rule not to critisize people for spelling and/or typo errors. FYI.

You're being a dork again.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca