babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Israeli Musician Daniel Barenboim Plays West Bank Town, Advocates Palestinian State

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Israeli Musician Daniel Barenboim Plays West Bank Town, Advocates Palestinian State
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 03 August 2003 01:07 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Israeli Pianist Barenboim Plays West Bank

quote:
RAMALLAH, West Bank Aug. 2 —
Israeli musician Daniel Barenboim received a rapturous reception when he brought a program of Beethoven and Brahms and a message of Israeli-Palestinian reconciliation to this West Bank town on Saturday.

The renowned pianist and conductor, a longtime critic of Israeli policy toward the Palestinians, played a packed and sweltering auditorium at a Ramallah school, the scene of a visit last year that angered some Israelis.

"I realize this isn't a normal concert for you. It isn't a normal concert for me either," Barenboim told the audience.

Barenboim, 60, an Argentine-born Jew who grew up in Israel, received three standing ovations from an audience of about 350 Palestinians and a smattering of international diplomats.

He played a program of Beethoven sonatas, including a duet of the "Moonlight Sonata" with 26-year-old Palestinian pianist Salim Abboud, and performed some Brahms with his son Michael, 17.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 03 August 2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by majorvictory:
Israeli Pianist Barenboim Plays West Bank

Nice one. It's going to take more brave performances like this one for this conflict to resolve itself. What often struck me when I was in Israel was how few Israelis (and often the most ideologically charged were the most guilty) had never travelled extensively in the West Bank except as soldiers. Many - and it is hard to imagine considering the tight quarters - had never really ever known any Palestinians except as infamous suicide bombers in the news, or as low-end labour in restaurants, construction sites, etc. I often thought that a well-timed walking tour of thousands of Israelis, WITHOUT IDF protection, advertised openly as a Reconciliation Walk in the West Bank could do wonders. Let everyday Israelis see Jenin - post-destruction. Let them see Ramallah. Let them go stand in line at a checkpoint for hours in the sun just to get to the market. But alas, the soldiers at the checkpoints and the ideologues in the Cabinet would never allow that....

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 August 2003 04:51 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Wonderful idea, Courage.

Somewhere below there is an interesting thread (three-four months ago?) about the friendship between Barenboim and Edward Said -- a link to a Guardian or Independent profile of the two, I think. They've apparently been working on projects like this one (jointly and severally, I think we say) for a few years.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 August 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It was in this thread: tp://www.rabble.ca/babble/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=28&t=000332&p=

Needless to say, for my Argentinean friends, Daniel Barenboim is an Argie !

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 03 August 2003 11:10 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/biography/barenboim.html

He's a pretty interesting guy

[ 03 August 2003: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
majorvictory
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2878

posted 26 August 2003 12:20 PM      Profile for majorvictory     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
'Peace' orchestra makes Arab debut

quote:
By Sebastian Usher
BBC Rabat correspondent

An orchestra made up of young Israeli and Arab musicians has played its first concert in an Arab country.

Barenboim wants the orchestra to transcend divides.

The West-Eastern-Divan Orchestra played a programme of Mozart and Beethoven pieces in the Moroccan capital, Rabat.

The concert was conducted by the orchestra's co-founder, the Israeli conductor and pianist Daniel Barenboim.

Despite heavy security surrounding the event, the concert hall, in the city's Mohammed V Theatre, was full and the musicians received a standing ovation.

Wearing a loose white short and baggy white trousers, Daniel Barenboim introduced his young orchestra to a Moroccan audience that included King Mohammed's sisters and the prime minister.

He said that Morocco's decision to hold the concert made it a pioneer in the Middle East.

evenflow
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3493

posted 26 August 2003 12:27 PM      Profile for evenflow        Edit/Delete Post
Very beautiful. Thanks for posting it!
From: learning land | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca