babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » All In A Days Work For A Mythical Democracy

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: All In A Days Work For A Mythical Democracy
Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 23 July 2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
All In a Days Work For A Mythical Democracy, Kristen Ess July 22, 2003.

In the mid-Gaza Strip, an old man dressed in white sits on a wooden box, watching an Israeli driven bulldozer destroy his land. The tree leaves are deep green and are crushed and caught in the pusher. This is making the trunks more mangled. He watches. The destruction goes on for hours.

There is nothing he can do. Under this ‘cease-fire,’ the Israeli government continues to send occupation soldiers to rip up trees and crops, creating wastelands that reinforce the myth that this is a land without a people, as if no Palestinian family ever lived here. This practice destroys the livelihood not only of families and communities, but creates Palestinian dependency on Israeli agricultural production.

Palestinian commerce remains at a virtual standstill with checkpoints and closures ensuring there is little ability to create Palestinian goods, or to work for the money necessary to rebuild destroyed factories, manufacturing centers, or shops. It reinforces one of the goals of occupation—to create such a dependency on Israeli goods and work, that whether or not the IOF (Israeli Occupation Forces) stays inside the West Bank and Gaza, the viability of a Palestinian state becomes ever more tenuous. Many Palestinian stores are stocked largely with Israeli goods. Many Israeli incursions include targeting shops, agricultural production and factories. This, the Israeli government blames on ‘security.’ A man in Gaza City, surveying his destroyed printing press shop, said, “If we make soap they say we’re making bombs.”

Read the rest here.

Courage
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3980

posted 23 July 2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Courage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But, as Justice says, "if only those Palestinians would take care of themselves instead of trying to fight Israel."

Right....

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 23 July 2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Terrible, I'm going to put it on CNN and see their perspective on this is. IOF or IDF, I think this article in bang on when calling them the IOF, it's far more suitable and realistic.

It is completely disgusting to see the IOF continue their military tactics in the eyes of the world and no one is crying foul!

From: North Of The Authoritarian Regime | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Justice
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3877

posted 23 July 2003 06:52 PM      Profile for Justice     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
hunda???

Read about the Palestinian cease fire here.

Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 24 July 2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The kidnapped taxi driver and the others on the list are isolated incidents and not militant sponsored by groups such as Hammas of Fatah.
Blind_Patriot
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3830

posted 24 July 2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Blind_Patriot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Patriot:
Terrible, I'm going to put it on CNN and see their perspective on this is. IOF or IDF, I think this article in bang on when calling them the IOF, it's far more suitable and realistic.

It is completely disgusting to see the IOF continue their military tactics in the eyes of the world and no one is crying foul!

Just thought I'd update my findings on CNN. NOTHING!

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca