babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Gulf War III: More Than Half Of Americans Support Military Force Against Iran

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Gulf War III: More Than Half Of Americans Support Military Force Against Iran
drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 26 June 2003 04:56 AM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jeff House, in his "Fog Of War" thread, posted a link to a Washington Post article which contains a very concerning recent poll finding:

quote:
Most Americans would support the United States taking military action to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons despite growing public concern about the mounting number of U.S. military casualties in the aftermath of the war with Iraq, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

President Bush last week said the rest of the world should join the United States in declaring that it "will not tolerate" nuclear weapons in Iran -- a vow that most Americans appear willing to back with force. By 56 percent to 38 percent, the public endorsed the use of the military to block Iran from developing nuclear arms.

It's deja vu all over again...and this time the Bush adminstration doesn't even have the flimsiest legal excuse for military action, and the American public seems ready to support it.

Where does it all end?...

Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 26 June 2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well, since you asked,

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 26 June 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post
Why Iran?

I thought the WMD were buried in the Surian desert?

I think at this point the US people would support bombing any Middle Eastern country.

kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 26 June 2003 01:59 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post
Why Iran?

I thought the WMD were buried in the Syrian desert?

I think at this point the US people would support bombing any Middle Eastern country.

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 26 June 2003 02:13 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
the probability is high that most americans have no idea where syria or iran are. once your guns are out you gotta use them.
kinda like potato chips, can't eat just one.

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 26 June 2003 05:31 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
*bangs his head on the table*

A war in Iran would be the stupidest possible move for the US. If the US unilaterally declares war on Iran, I will join the peace movement. I'll write more on why later.

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 26 June 2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While I'm sure the Bush admin is sporting a big chubby at the idea of invading Iran, I don't think it's gonna happen. They've got half their troop strength tied up in Iraq where it's spread thin and, in case anyone hasn't noticed, not exactly operating in a secure environment.
Attacking Iran would essentialy open a second front in the region.
That said, I wouldn't put it past Rummy to try and push something like this through, what with him being crazy as fuck.

drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 27 June 2003 04:20 AM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
From The Telegraph:

quote:
America gave notice yesterday that it was ready to act alone against Iran and North Korea if European countries did not co-operate in stopping them from developing nuclear weapons.

"If we do not want a 'Made in America' solution, let's find out how to resolve the issues of North Korea and Iran," declared Condoleezza Rice, the US national security adviser, during a visit to London.

She tried to play down the prospect of a war against Iran, saying: "We do not ever want to have to deal with the proliferation issue as we did in Iraq." But her comments had strong echoes of the blunt talking that surrounded the debate before the Iraq war.

Very strong echoes.

drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 27 June 2003 12:32 PM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So Dr. Rice yesterday downplayed the "prospect of war" against Iran? (See above post and link.)

Why does that sound familiar?...oh, right...last year, on 18 March 2002, CBS News reported the following:

quote:
Vice President Dick Cheney assured Turkish officials that the United States does not plan military action against Iraq in the near future, Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit said Tuesday.

Cheney met with Ecevit in Ankara, the Turkish capital. It's the final stop on an 11-nation tour of the Middle East and Britain, which many said was aimed at drumming up support for a possible campaign to overthrow Iraqi President Saddam Hussein. Turkish leaders have repeatedly voiced opposition to any action against their southern neighbor.

Cheney "has very clearly stated that there will be no military action against Iraq in the foreseeable future," Ecevit told reporters after his meeting with the vice president.

And there was no Iraq war, just as promised.

Oh, wait...

[ 27 June 2003: Message edited by: drgoodword ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 June 2003 12:39 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And meanwhile ...
quote:
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier was shot in the head while buying digital video discs at a shop in Baghdad on Friday, the shop owner and other witnesses said.

Click

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca