babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Top Retired US General Condemns Iraq Failures

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Top Retired US General Condemns Iraq Failures
drgoodword
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3214

posted 22 June 2003 01:31 PM      Profile for drgoodword   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
One of the most experienced and respected figures in a generation of American warfare and peacekeeping yesterday accused the US administration of 'failing to prepare for the consequences of victory' in Iraq.

In one of the most outspoken critiques from a man of his standing, Nash said the US had 'failed to understand the mindset and attitudes of the Iraqi people and the depth of hostility towards the US in much of the country'.

'It is much greater and deeper than just the consequences of war,' he added. 'It comes from 12 years of sanctions, Israel and Palestinians, and a host of issues.'

Nash is reluctant to make comparisons with Vietnam: 'There are far more things that were different about Vietnam than there are similarities. Except perhaps the word "quagmire". Maybe that is the only thing that is the same.'

From The Observer.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 22 June 2003 03:19 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
It was insufficient for the US to presume that the forces now harassing and killing American troops were necessarily confined to what he called a residue of the Saddam regime. 'What we are facing today is a confluence of various forces which channel the disgruntlement of the people,' said Nash.

'You can't tell who is behind the latest rocket propelled grenade. It could be a father whose daughter has been killed; it could be a political leader trying to gain a following, or it could be rump Saddam. Either way, they are starting to converge.'

Pretty brave of this guy to question the rapidly solidifying orthodoxy of American propaganda -- y'know, the idea that anyone who resists the US occupation is just a disgruntled ex-Saddamite.

I wish I could take some comfort in the fact that my pre-war predictions are coming true, but I can't.

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca