babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Coup attempt in Mauritania

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Coup attempt in Mauritania
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 08 June 2003 10:34 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Fighting erupted in the capital of the Arab-dominated west African nation of Mauritania today in an apparent coup attempt against the country’s pro-West leader, broadcast reports said.

The reported coup attempt follows a crackdown on alleged Islamic extremists by President Maaouya Ould Sid’Ahmed Taya.

http://breaking.examiner.ie/2003/06/08/story101901.html

RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 08 June 2003 08:03 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
My mistake, I missed this when I posted it in the News forum. I'm just not sure why you posted it in the middle east forum.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 09 June 2003 12:27 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Update: Rebels have seized the presidential palace (despite earlier reports that the coup had failed) and the president's fate is unknown. Loyalist army officers report they could hold out no longer.

Here

quote:
Originally posted by RookieActivist:
My mistake, I missed this when I posted it in the News forum. I'm just not sure why you posted it in the middle east forum.

Fair question. Because the coup was precipiated by that nation's support of the war in Iraq, repression of anti-war demonstrations and the anti-war Islamic opposition.

Further, it was argued that an extended war in Iraq would lead to the fall of Arab governments. This could be an aberration or it could be just the first step onto a slippery slope.

In any case, the situation here and Iraq, in my mind, is linked.

[ 09 June 2003: Message edited by: WingNut ]

RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 09 June 2003 01:26 AM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
While it is linked, I think that the real root of the problem here is an unstable democracy in that entire region of West Africa, and internal clashes between ethnic and political groups inside the country. The situation with Iraq was just another action that upset the largely Muslim population, but there had been a few failed coup attempts before this.

I think any loss of life is truly regrettable here, and it's sad to see a country in upheival and chaos; but at the same time, the greater concern is if this will spark a movement in other Arab nations. The people of Egypt and Saudi Arabia especially are upset with their government's diplomatic relations with the west. Could this be a sign of things to come on a grander scale?

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 09 June 2003 01:31 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yes, that is the question I am asking too.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 June 2003 10:25 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks to you both for bringing this story to our attention. I suspect this is the first time we've ever talked about Mauritania on babble.

I've just been looking at a map of the country. Interesting spot to be in.

And notice how the story ends:

quote:
The country of fewer than three million people supports itself through iron ore mining and fishing, but there have been recent discoveries of offshore oil reserves.

Oh, dear. Such a mixed blessing this always turns out to be.

RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 09 June 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Even if the oil is found, I doubt any of the profits will find their way to the thousands of refugees and the millions of poor in that country.

Perhaps if you want to provoke discussion in this topic, the title should include "Israel," "America," or "Palestine."

RookieActivist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4089

posted 09 June 2003 04:31 PM      Profile for RookieActivist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I know in Egypt, there have been clashes with the government because of their relatively pro-Western policies. To the best of my knowledge, though, the military is still strongly behind the government. I think it's the same with Saudi Arabia. While tensions are high amongst the people, I don't think they yet have the military might to successsfully run a coup.

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca