babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » archived babble   » the middle east and central asia   » Family life with Dad, the executioner

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Family life with Dad, the executioner
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 05 June 2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A short, interesting look into a career that fortunately no longer exists in Canada.

"Al-Beshi describes himself as a family man. Married before he became an executioner, his wife did not object to his chosen profession. “She only asked me to think carefully before committing myself,” he recalls. “But I don’t think she’s afraid of me,” he smiles. “I deal with my family with kindness and love. They aren’t afraid when I come back from an execution. Sometimes they help me clean my sword.”"

http://tinyurl.com/difk

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 05 June 2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Fundamentalists are creepy.
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 05 June 2003 06:50 PM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Capital punishment is creepy.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 June 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The gathering around cleaning the sword as quality time with the family sounds pretty creepy to me.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 June 2003 07:43 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
A perfect illustration of how the monstrous can easily come to seem banal.

There's a Morley Callaghan story, "Two Fishermen," which is about an executioner. Even if the fisherman symbolism is overripe, the point of the story (as I remember it) is just what ordinary, even gentle and appealing, man he is. Just doing his job, albeit with some anonymity, and moving on.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 05 June 2003 07:51 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
An executioner’s life, of course, is not all killing. Sometimes it can be amputation of hands and legs. “I use a special sharp knife, not a sword,” he explains. “When I cut off a hand I cut it from the joint. If it is a leg the authorities specify where it is to be taken off, so I follow that.”

blurgh.

From: dappled shade in the forest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 05 June 2003 11:45 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Capital punishment is creepy.

And how.

The thing is, I'd like to hope most people would find this barbaric, but I'll bet it's not really any grosser or more painful than death by firing squad, hanging, lethal gas, or electrocution, all of which are accepted methods of execution in "civilized" countries.

PitPat
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4062

posted 05 June 2003 11:55 PM      Profile for PitPat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
The thing is, I'd like to hope most people would find this barbaric, but I'll bet it's not really any grosser or more painful than death by firing squad, hanging, lethal gas, or electrocution, all of which are accepted methods of execution in "civilized" countries.

Yeah but where this chap hails from they do executions in public. Plus hand choppings and floggings. Before a crowd. We in the west are either long since past doing that or not quite there yet.

From: Take it from me, I love you! | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 June 2003 11:57 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:

Agreed. With the proviso that no country with the death penalty can really call itself civilized.

The death penalty is bad enough, but I find something particularly off-putting, horrifying, about attempts to find "humane" methods of execution -- lethal injections, etc.

Did you know that when someone is executed by lethal injection, the needle can't be inserted by a doctor, because of their ethical code? So it's got to be done, typically, by an orderly or some such from the prison hospital, and therefore there have been cases of some half-trained dolt poking around for quite some time before locating a vein.

Furthermore -- just to highlight the absurdity of all this -- prior to the needle being injected, the prisoner's arm is swabbed with alcohol, to prevent infection. True.

[ 05 June 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 06 June 2003 12:01 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If we compare our methods of execution to the middle east, we miss the point of Mr Bong. 'Capital Punishment is creepy.'
Our whole penal system is creepy. We must put our efforts to prevention not punishment.

From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ray Peterson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4178

posted 06 June 2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Ray Peterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Agreed. With the proviso that no country with the death penalty can really call itself civilized.

I believe any country that allows murderers or child molesters or rapists back on the streets can't really call itself civilized.

From: Hinkley Hills | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 06 June 2003 08:50 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
I believe any country that allows murderers or child molesters or rapists back on the streets can't really call itself civilized.

Ah, yes, the false dichotomy. Hello, Logical Fallacies 101.

Ray Peterson
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4178

posted 07 June 2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Ray Peterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Ah, yes, the false dichotomy. Hello, Logical Fallacies 101.

Are you saying that doesn't happen ?

From: Hinkley Hills | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 07 June 2003 01:18 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I'm saying that we do not have to choose between letting murderers and rapists roam the streets and killing them. There are other options. To suggest otherwise is dishonest.

[ 07 June 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca